B1G Game 1: Gophers Host Penn State (12-3-22)

Thought that ball was off the Gophers right before Braun got her 3-point play. Will take the W though!!

This team has Fight! They can have ice water in their veins. They just need to get more consistent. Cut down turnovers. Get more rebounds. Play defense the whole game. They showed at the end of the game and in the overtime that they can play good defense. Exciting team to watch and a frustrating team to watch. It will be interesting to see how good they can be and how long it will take. Go Gophers.

These types of W’s can really boost the confidence of our freshman stars. This group has a big upside and am hoping they continue to improve throughout the season. It’s nice to see them having FUN !!

Seems crazy to say that a team that gives up over 90 points is playing better defense, but they are. I also feel like they're doing a better job of rebounding, although a long way to go with that. As others here have said, if they can decrease the turnovers, they'll have a chance to beat some teams in the BIG. I'm hoping they'll get a lot better with TOs as the season goes along. Seems like they finally started to figure out the PSU press in the second half. PSU's Marisa is impressive. Huge FT's by Braun and Katie B when the game was on the line. Clutch field goals also. Battle, Braun, Heyer all show flashes of being very good college players. Hopefully we can look back at the end of the season and comment on the terrific progress they've made. That being said, looks like it's going to be both a fun and frustrating year and we're going to have to remain patient.

Winning is a lot better than losing. Fun to watch them hang tough and get rewarded for it. Go Gophers!

Love the fight the ladies had tonight! Missus Gil and I were gifted tickets and enjoyed it. Some things to clean up, but a young team with a ton of potential. We'll definitely be back again.

So did they let fans in from the volleyball arena for free? Noticed at halftime a lot people were coming in from there. And it seemed like the crowd in Williams Arena nearly doubled as the game moved on from halftime. If they weren't ticket holders, maybe they will be in the future after watching the end of this game.

After the volleyball sweep we got to our seats at half time and damn near watched a full game. That this team can't seem to figure out what it's supposed to do half the time makes for a lot of pure entertainment. Give the ball to Battle or Braun or Heyer and see what they create is a fun approach to offense.

So many crazy plays and so many mistakes can be glossed over by great free throw shooting. Its fun to have it on your side.

And why the hell aren't we showing replays of the video reviews? I promise not to litter the court with debris

Women’s basketball: Freshmen lead Gophers to double-OT victory over Penn State​

Mara Braun scored a team-high 26 points and was 11 for 11 from the stripe for UMN

"Minnesota’s freshmen were unlikely to forget their first Big Ten women’s basketball game. Now, there is no chance.

The Gophers big-time freshman trio of Mara Braun, Amaya Battle and Mallory Heyer combined for 63 points as Minnesota beat Penn State, 98-96, in double overtime on Saturday at Williams Arena.

Maura Braun scored a team-high 26 points, and her three-point play with 47.8 seconds remaining...."

Gophers women's basketball works double overtime to beat Penn State 98-96​

In the Big Ten opener, Mara Braun finished with 26 points for the Gophers, making 11 of 11 free throws. Mallory Heyer had 18 points and 11 rebounds. Amaya Battle scored 19.

Saturday at Williams Arena, over the course of a 50-minute, double-overtime marathon...

--> Welcome to the Big Ten.

1670132486819.png

So did they let fans in from the volleyball arena for free? Noticed at halftime a lot people were coming in from there. And it seemed like the crowd in Williams Arena nearly doubled as the game moved on from halftime. If they weren't ticket holders, maybe they will be in the future after watching the end of this game.
Anyone who had volleyball tickets last night was allowed to come watch the basketball game. There are a fair number of fans who have season tickets to both. And, yes, the crowd got bigger after volleyball and those folks got to watch 30 minutes of basketball counting the overtime!

Micheaux and Borowicz are pacing the Gophers with fouls. After last night, Katie has 29 fouls in 201 minutes (3.6 / game) and Rose with 26 fouls in 200 minutes (3.4 / game).

Next in line is Battle with 17 in 236 minutes (2.1)
The question becomes how much the coaches want to limit their aggressiveness especially on defense.

With some talent around her too. Unlike when Rachel Banham played as a one player team.
I disagree with this statement. The team made it to the ncaa tournament the year banham was injured, and the year after she graduated.

Amanda Zahui B was very talented. I'd love for the Gophers to add a post of her caliber or Janel McCarville's caliber. And, yes, I realize I'm dreaming. Or how about a Monica Czinano type?

As for the fouls Katie B and Rose have been accumulating, as PhiloVance pointed out, a lot of these fouls are due to those two being very agressive, especially Katie. As that aggressiveness on defense is a big part of her value to the team, she'll have to learn to curb that when necessary and I think she will. As for Rose, the Gophers really need her on the court this year and she'll have to walk the fine line before aggressiveness and common sense. Like a lot of the things this team has to work on, I'm thinking these things will be corrected as the year progresses.

Top Bottom