B1G gains: Naming every Big Ten team's best transfer portal addition

nitramnaed

Reaction score
The door to the NCAA transfer portal is, for now, closed. Student-athletes who wanted to play next season had until May 1 to enter.

And while plenty of players are still making decisions on where to go, the bulk of transfers have taken place. At this point, it feels safe to declare the biggest additions and subtractions for each team in the Big Ten.

Since we believe on starting off on the right foot, today we’ll address the positives.

These are the top additions for each Big Ten team in 2022.

Minnesota: CB Beanie Bishop (Western Kentucky)​

The speedy Bishop was 1st team All-Conference USA as a defensive back and an honorable mention as a kick returner.

In 2021, he finished with 43 tackles, including 6.5 TFL, as well as 4 pass breakups, 3 interceptions, 1 forced fumble and a touchdown.

The door to the NCAA transfer portal is, for now, closed. Student-athletes who wanted to play next season had until May 1 to enter.

And while plenty of players are still making decisions on where to go, the bulk of transfers have taken place. At this point, it feels safe to declare the biggest additions and subtractions for each team in the Big Ten.

Since we believe on starting off on the right foot, today we’ll address the positives.

These are the top additions for each Big Ten team in 2022.

Minnesota: CB Beanie Bishop (Western Kentucky)​

The speedy Bishop was 1st team All-Conference USA as a defensive back and an honorable mention as a kick returner.

In 2021, he finished with 43 tackles, including 6.5 TFL, as well as 4 pass breakups, 3 interceptions, 1 forced fumble and a touchdown.

The Gophers definitely have speed in the defensive secondary. :rockon:

Bishop looked like an absolute stud in the spring game from what I saw. I was definitely impressed. I wonder if he’s too valuable at CB at this point to run back kicks for us.

Bishop looked like an absolute stud in the spring game from what I saw. I was definitely impressed. I wonder if he’s too valuable at CB at this point to run back kicks for us.
He's too much of a weapon not to return kicks, turning a glaring weakness into a strength.

He's too much of a weapon not to return kicks, turning a glaring weakness into a strength.
Hey I’m with you. I just know the coaches often like to go with someone more expendable for returns. Then again that might be more where the pros have millions invested into the likes of Randy Moss and they don’t want him running kicks back even though he might be the best returner of all time.

For Beanie to return punts or kickoffs PJ will have to change his philosophy. It is not the player making the decision to fair catch or conservatively watch short punts bounce.

For Beanie to return punts or kickoffs PJ will have to change his philosophy. It is not the player making the decision to fair catch or conservatively watch short punts bounce.
What was displayed last year does not indicate a PJ philosophy. He had no one he trusted and no one other than Bucky with the ability. The decision was made early not to return many kicks so it was not an emphasis of special teams game prep. It was strategy based on available talent and game prep emphasis.

Beanes was a dynamic kick return man at W. Kentucky. A good return game is a game changer. PJ is going to use it this year.

What was displayed last year does not indicate a PJ philosophy. He had no one he trusted and no one other than Bucky with the ability. The decision was made early not to return many kicks so it was not an emphasis of special teams game prep. It was strategy based on available talent and game prep emphasis.

Beanes was a dynamic kick return man at W. Kentucky. A good return game is a game changer. PJ is going to use it this year.
I'll disagree it wouldn't be a philosophy change. In 2019 we were 10th in the conference and 94th in the country on kickoff returns. The punt return unit avg 3.4 yards, 13th in the Big Ten and 120th in the country. We had a pretty good year.
In 2018 we led the country in punt return average but we did not have very many attempts...so ya Beanie may get some return opportunities but PJ's thing is the fair catch.
Last year was kinda how we do it.
You got 110 candidates...he'd recruit a couple punt returners annually as walkons at a minimum if it was an emphasis. It cannot be nobody has the skill set to reliabily catch the ball and make the first guy miss. If we don't have anybody, as you said, it is a philosophy that says it's not important.... because we fair catch

I'll disagree it wouldn't be a philosophy change. In 2019 we were 10th in the conference and 94th in the country on kickoff returns. The punt return unit avg 3.4 yards, 13th in the Big Ten and 120th in the country. We had a pretty good year.
In 2018 we led the country in punt return average but we did not have very many attempts...so ya Beanie may get some return opportunities but PJ's thing is the fair catch.
Last year was kinda how we do it.
You got 110 candidates...he'd recruit a couple punt returners annually as walkons at a minimum if it was an emphasis. It cannot be nobody has the skill set to reliabily catch the ball and make the first guy miss. If we don't have anybody, as you said, it is a philosophy that says it's not important.... because we fair catch
Maybe we just didn't have anyone stellar enough at it that wasn't also a big part somewhere else? Last thing you want is top trot one of your top players out for punt return and have them get injured, idk.

Top Bottom