B1G Conference Games 2021-22

Sam Haiby and Jaz Shelley not playing for the Huskers against the Hawkeyes. Nebraska leading 19-6

A 26-16 1st quarter and a 8-3 2nd quarter propelled Michigan to a 69-49 win over the Terps. Maryland is now 4-2 in the B1G.

Iowa rallied from a 16 point deficit to trail 42-41 at the half. Markowski is 4-4 from three for the Huskers.

Hawkeyes and Huskers play another entertaining contest with Iowa winning 93-83. Nebraska made 14 threes. Markowski was 6-7 from beyond the arc.

Michigan State's (the Gophers next opponent following Iowa) Wednesday game versus Indiana has been postponed due to Covid issues within the Hoosier program.

The Spartans will have a little extra time to prepare for Minnesota.. They need it. MSU also announced that Moira Joiner is out for the season.

Wisconsin does the Gophers a favor by beating Penn St. 69-57. It’s looking like the Gophers will be battling Penn St. for 10th place in the BIg and avoid playing the first day in the BIG Tournament. Hopefully Gophers get on a roll and seeds higher.

Wisconsin does the Gophers a favor by beating Penn St. 69-57. It’s looking like the Gophers will be battling Penn St. for 10th place in the BIg and avoid playing the first day in the BIG Tournament. Hopefully Gophers get on a roll and seeds higher.
I really thought Penn state would surprise teams this year but they are pretty bad. Minnesota is somewhere in this 7-10 range in the big ten i think, Northwestern is a weird team some good wins and some terrible losses, Purdue is better than last year but Im not sure how much better, MSU and MN seem pretty even as well. PSU, WI, ILL, Rutgers pretty clearly the bottom 4. Gophers schedule is pretty favorable the rest of the year so its time to start getting some wins.

Iowa takes down Penn State 107-79. Clark with 20 points and 17 assists (a Big Ten Conference game record). Warnock had 25 points and Czinano 24.

It was physical and entertaining as the Buckeyes took down Iowa in Iowa City 92-88. Clark with 43 points. Harris had back to back steals off Clark that turned into four crucial points. OSU was 11-24 from three while Iowa was 10-20. The game featured more than a little chirping between the teams plus some tough body shaking screens.

Plus, the usual Lisa Bluder whining when she didn't get every call particularly @ the end of the game. It was very entertaining and I didn't feel as bad about our loss to tOSU. They have improved significantly as a team.

It was physical and entertaining as the Buckeyes took down Iowa in Iowa City 92-88. Clark with 43 points. Harris had back to back steals off Clark that turned into four crucial points. OSU was 11-24 from three while Iowa was 10-20. The game featured more than a little chirping between the teams plus some tough body shaking screens.
I'm starting to wonder if the key statline for Clark is, in fact, turnovers. She gets a ton of points and usually shares the ball pretty well but does seem a mite turnover-prone. It's hard to argue with her calling her own number when she's such an efficient shooter (50% against Ohio State), except that there's a person on her team who is a WAY more efficient shooter: Czinano. Seems like it would help if Clark looked for Czinano even more than she already does (or would that lead too more turnovers?).
In some ways, this year's Iowa reminds me of a less-balanced version of the Gophers' final four team, with two stars and a bunch of other people who understand their roles well.

I'm starting to wonder if the key statline for Clark is, in fact, turnovers. She gets a ton of points and usually shares the ball pretty well but does seem a mite turnover-prone. It's hard to argue with her calling her own number when she's such an efficient shooter (50% against Ohio State), except that there's a person on her team who is a WAY more efficient shooter: Czinano. Seems like it would help if Clark looked for Czinano even more than she already does (or would that lead too more turnovers?).
In some ways, this year's Iowa reminds me of a less-balanced version of the Gophers' final four team, with two stars and a bunch of other people who understand their roles well.
Excellent comparison!

The Wildcats prevail 71-69 in double OT. Burton hit the winning free throws with 3.9 remaining. Burton was 2-12 from the field as Michigan doubled her at every chance-she still finished with 13 points, 13 rebounds, 8 assists and a lot of respect.

That's the Wolverines second consecutive loss to a team just defeated by the Gophers.

Oh yes. It helped that the Wildcats got Hillmon in early foul trouble

The Wildcats prevail 71-69 in double OT. Burton hit the winning free throws with 3.9 remaining. Burton was 2-12 from the field as Michigan doubled her at every chance-she still finished with 13 points, 13 rebounds, 8 assists and a lot of respect.

That's the Wolverines second consecutive loss to a team just defeated by the Gophers.

Oh yes. It helped that the Wildcats got Hillmon in early foul trouble
Michigan really misses Brown right now but their other guards are just not good.

WOW.. Wisconsin wins 54-52 over Purdue...

Badgers scored 2 points in the first quarter and trailed 17-2.. trailed 35-15 at halftime.. biggest comeback in program history...

Rutgers just beat Penn State 72-61.. Rutgers 1st conference win of the season.. their 1st win since Dec 18th..

WOW.. Wisconsin wins 54-52 over Purdue...

Badgers scored 2 points in the first quarter and trailed 17-2.. trailed 35-15 at halftime.. biggest comeback in program history...

Rutgers just beat Penn State 72-61.. Rutgers 1st conference win of the season.. their 1st win since Dec 18th..
I was caught up watching the Michigan/Northwestern and Rutgers/Penn State games and totally wrote off Purdue/Wisconsin after the looking at the halftime score.

I was caught up watching the Michigan/Northwestern and Rutgers/Penn State games and totally wrote off Purdue/Wisconsin after the looking at the halftime score.
Ignatius- I did the same thing.. until someone who I follow on twitter said are you seeing this Wisconsin game, they are up 2 with under a minute left.. I did the same as you wrote them off..

that Michigan/Northwestern = is my front runner for game of the year so far in women's hoops.. Michigan REALLY misses Brown A LOT.

She gets a ton of points and usually shares the ball pretty well but does seem a mite turnover-prone. It's hard to argue with her calling her own number when she's such an efficient shooter (50% against Ohio State), except that there's a person on her team who is a WAY more efficient shooter: Czinano. Seems like it would help if Clark looked for Czinano even more than she already does (or would that lead too more turnovers?).
I mean, she leads the country in both scoring and assists per game. Five triple doubles this year.
BBADD1EE-256A-42D1-9B6B-DB7B0C1C7B7D.png

Last edited:

In the leadup to tonight's Maryland v Iowa game, Voepel writes about Caitlin Clark:

Through it all, Clark has remained a superstar, building on an outstanding freshman season. But the weight she carries for the Hawkeyes can be quite heavy, and coach Lisa Bluder said she talks to Clark about the pressure and tries to ease that.

"She is a competitor, through and through," Bluder said. "She will carry a team if she needs to, and she won't back away from that. She knew there was a lot on her shoulders when she came here, and she embraces that. Our team, though, wants to support her as much as it can."

Clark's scoring abilities -- including her shots from the logo -- have gotten a lot of the attention. But her all-around game is at a very high level, and she already has put her name in with legends of college basketball. She's coming off an epic January in which she became the first Division I men's or women's player to post back-to-back triple-doubles with at least 30 points in each game.

Her 44 points against Evansville on Jan. 2 set a Carver-Hawkeye Arena record, and she hit the 1,000-point mark in that game. Clark became the fastest player in Big Ten women's history to reach the milestone (40 games), and the eighth-fastest in Division I history. The last player to reach it in fewer games was Delaware's Elena Delle Donne (38 games), who has gone on to be a two-time WNBA MVP.

[...]

Some fans have suggested Clark is the current women's hoops equivalent of Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes: players who are a blast to watch no matter what team you root for, and who have the panache and ability to make you gasp at what they just pulled off.

"She does play with that joy," Bluder said. "She has always played like that. I never, ever want her to lose that fire. I'm never going to do anything to dampen that. That is just her. It would be like snuffing out a candle."

[...]
Clark struggled through a shooting slump from 3-point range to start the season. In her first 14 games, she was 27-of-119 (22.7%) from behind the arc, a big dropoff from her 40.6% clip (116-of-286) as a freshman. But in her past eight games, she is 31-of-68 (45.6%).

"The biggest thing was watching a lot of film," Clark said. "And I kept shooting, getting in the gym. I wouldn't say my shot really changed [during the slump], but my balance was a little weird. I wasn't landing on two feet all of the time, and taking too many off-balance shots.

"I had made a lot of those previously, so it didn't really feel wrong. But I had to keep working on it. I knew my shot was going to come back, even though it was a little frustrating. It was also a blessing in disguise, though, because I really had to evolve more with other parts of my game: getting to the basket and my midrange. Now that my 3-point shot is starting to fall like it should, I think it's made me a better player."

In Bloomington, Holmes has returned to the lineup for the Hoosiers and Warnock has returned for the Hawkeyes. Iowa up 12-4 halfway through the first quarter.

Hawkeyes up at the half 46-29. Warnock with 10 points, 4 rebounds and 3 fouls in 12 minutes. Holmes has 2 points in 13 minutes and doesn't appear in game shape. Czinano with 16 points in 16 minutes. Clark with 7 assists.

These clubs play again on Monday.

IO. wins after IN. made a big push in the 4th quarter, 96-91.

At least this game was exciting: MIchigan downed Maryland in Ann Arbor 71-59. Hillmon with 29 points and 11 rebounds. Michigan is 12-3 and Maryland 12-4

Monika Czinano just posted on her IG.. that she will be using the free year and returning to Iowa next season.

Good news tonight as it appears everyone below us did lose this weekend. So, we're hanging on to the #10 seed (and not playing on Wednesday) in the Big Ten tourney. Really need to win our last two games now!

Good news tonight as it appears everyone below us did lose this weekend. So, we're hanging on to the #10 seed (and not playing on Wednesday) in the Big Ten tourney. Really need to win our last two games now!
Penn State plays tomorrow @ Michigan State (5, BTN) and then Thursday at OSU .. if Penn State loses both of those games and we WIN Thursday against Illinois we lock up the 10th seed.. but if Penn State wins either, we will need to WIN Thursday and Sunday at Penn State to hold onto the 10th seed.

Top Bottom