B1G Conference Games 2021-22

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
First games are in the book:

Maryland defeated Rutgers in Piscataway 73-59 (Angel Reese with 18 points and 6 rebounds).

Ohio State defeated Purdue in West Lafayette 70-53 (Taylor Mikesell with 16 points and 10 rebounds for the Buckeyes.

Thursday's restart of conference play has a postponement: Covid within the Badger program has postponed the Purdue/Wisconsin game.

The other games remain scheduled:

Nebraska/Michigan State
Iowa/Penn State
Maryland/Illinois
Indiana/Rutgers

The Iowa/Penn State game has now been canceled or postponed due to covid within the Penn State program.

The Maryland/Illinois game has been canceled because of covid within the Illinois program. This is looking a lot like last season-possibly worse.

The Indiana/Rutgers game has been canceled because of covid within the Rutgers program

The January 2nd Illinois @ Iowa game has been canceled because of covid in the Illini program. The second Illini cancellation

The Nebraska/Michigan State game is under way; but the Spartans are short handed due to injuries (Ayrault, and Ozment), transfer (Winston) and two covid protocols (Hagemann and Jacqmain).

Sparty started a four forward lineup. They are hanging in there: Nebraska 22 and MSU 20 with 7:30 left in the second.

Sparty leads 37-26 at the half. It's Clouden (19 points) and seven forwards. Ekh is a swing player so she's doing some of the ball handling.

The Spartans knock off the Huskers 72-69. Clouden with 32 points (15-17 from the line). Clouden also played the last 14 or so minutes with 4 fouls (Haiby went on the attack in the third quarter and forced Clouden into three fouls giving her four). But, Nebraska is undefeated no more.

MSU was also missing Joiner (concussion)

Postgame quotes from Suzy Merchant

On the win over an undefeated team...
I think you have to understand what we were up against. We were down to two and a half guards. The other guard we played can play the four spot. We had a team full of post players and Nia (Clouden) and Matilda (Ekh) and then Jayla (James) were able to play both spots for us. If you understand what we had to do for the last day and a half ... we put in a three-man game in the middle of the floor, it affected everything not to have Deedee (Hagemann), Lo (Laurel Jacqmain), (and) Mo (Moira Joiner). We are down six perimeter players, that's a lot. One or two is bad, but six people and they are all veterans. I'm really proud ... it was less about Nebraska. I just wanted to see us be gritty, fight, not give in, find a way to scratch and claw and do the best we could. And I thought they did that today.

The Spartans knock off the Huskers 72-69. Clouden with 32 points (15-17 from the line). Clouden also played the last 14 or so minutes with 4 fouls (Haiby went on the attack in the third quarter and forced Clouden into three fouls giving her four). But, Nebraska is undefeated no more.

MSU was also missing Joiner (concussion)
Really bad loss for Nebby, not sure why they didnt try something different on defense, Clouden is all MSU has right now and they let her beat them. That said Nebby still shoulda won, they just missed way too many open shots.

Ohio State playing without Braxtin Miller trails Michigan 45-31 at the half in Ann Arbor. Hillmon with 15 points and 10 rebounds and Kiser with 10 points and 8 rebounds.

Michigan was assessed a technical before the start of the game (I don't know why unless it was for delaying the start). Mikesell missed the shot.

I'd rather be at Williams Arena today; but at least there's some ball on tv.

Michigan 90-71 over Ohio State. Hillmon 29 points 15 rebounds; Kiser with 18 and 15 and Brown with 24 and 5. There was a blip in the last half of the third quarter when the Ohio State press forced 9 turnovers. The Buckeyes had a 16-6 run; but the Wolverines took back control in the fourth.

Nice to see IU beat MD . The Big has a few teams that could make it to MPLS.

Always good to see Brenda lose.

There were a couple of oddities in today's Purdue/Rutgers game.

About two minutes into the game, the referees stopped play and deflated the basketball to the proper level.

Early in the game Rutgers was called for a shot clock violation. Apparently they were confused by the shot clock having tenths of a second and mistook the tenths for full seconds. For instance 2.3 seconds was read as 23. At least that was the play by play guys explanation. Tim Eatman was not happy.

Today: Back to the new normal.

Penn State @ Ohio State canceled because of covid within the PSU program

Michigan State @ Northwestern canceled because of covid within the NW program

Nebraska dismantled Michigan 79-58 in Lincoln. Markowski, 20 points and 7 rebound, dominated Hillmon, 10 points and 7 rebounds. Nebraska pretty much kept the lead at double digits throughout the game.

Nebraska dismantled Michigan 79-58 in Lincoln. Markowski, 20 points and 7 rebound, dominated Hillmon, 10 points and 7 rebounds. Nebraska pretty much kept the lead at double digits throughout the game.

I caught the second half of this one and yeah the huskers really took it to them. Their intensity level never wavered

Indiana (5-0) defeated Nebraska (2-3) in an intriguing game in Bloomington 72-65.

The Hoosiers played six players. Mackenzie Holmes was out with a knee injury. Even counting Holmes IU has 11 roster players.

Nebraska has some concern because Sam Haiby left the game in the fourth quarter with what looked like a dislocated shoulder. She sat on the bench with ice on her shoulder.

Indiana (5-0) defeated Nebraska (2-3) in an intriguing game in Bloomington 72-65.

The Hoosiers played six players. Mackenzie Holmes was out with a knee injury. Even counting Holmes IU has 11 roster players.

Nebraska has some concern because Sam Haiby left the game in the fourth quarter with what looked like a dislocated shoulder. She sat on the bench with ice on her shoulder.
I believe a player LEFT the basketball team on Wednesday but will stay at IU to finish out her academics .. that would be two players who have left the team this year, one before the season even started.

I believe a player LEFT the basketball team on Wednesday but will stay at IU to finish out her academics .. that would be two players who have left the team this year, one before the season even started.

It seemed as though Indiana simply couldn’t afford losing a starter to injury. Along with the departures of senior guard Caitlin Hose and freshman guard Keyarah Berry earlier this season, the Hoosiers were also without junior guard Grace Waggoner. The Hoosiers were left with nine available players against Nebraska.

Without Holmes, Indiana had two clear paths to follow on offense: ask sophomore forward Kiandra Browne or senior forward Aleksa Gulbe to fill Holmes’ role or completely change its offensive identity and go small with guards.

After five minutes, it was clear that Indiana opted for the latter. Browne, who started in Holmes’ stead, spent less time in the paint and focused on setting screens on the perimeter for the team’s guards.

Indiana lacks experience behind Holmes at forward, let alone Browne. Rather than expose freshman forward Mona Zaric to rare playing time, Indiana subbed in sophomore guard Chloe Moore-McNeil for Browne

Of note so far today:

Suzy Merchant is out because of covid protocols: Dean Lockwood is coaching the Spartans.

Indiana is without Mackenzie Holmes and Nicole Cardano-Hillary versus Purdue

Michigan State took down Northwestern in East Lansing 65-46
Wisconsin rallied to give Marisa Moseley her first B1G win 49-45 at Rutgers.
Indiana rallied to force ot.

Hoosiers take Purdue in OT.
In front of a nice crowd. Patberg left the game after twisting her ankle making a crucial three. She came down on the defenders foot. Patberg did not shoot the free throw. Both teams played 7 players.

Patsberg's shot on OT

Last edited:

Whats the word on Holmes? Thats a huge loss for Indiana if shes out awhile, Browne has not looked in her spot and they have no depth at all.

Whats the word on Holmes? Thats a huge loss for Indiana if shes out awhile, Browne has not looked in her spot and they have no depth at all.
All I know is that's a knee injury and that's she's been on the bench. She's pretty active on the bench; so I'm thinking it's not season ending and that she'll be back fairly soon.

Michigan is taking it to Maryland. Up by 23 in mid Q3.

Top Bottom