B1G Commissioner Kevin Warren named CEO of Chicago Bears

I am a fan of Kevin Warren. I listened to him speak at an Activities Director Leadership Conference a few years ago, before the Big 10 gig, and he is by far the most impressive individual I have ever heard talk and PJ spoke at the same conference! Kevin was just down to earth, intelligent, and could relate to every single person in the room.

What in his history up to this point would lead the owners to believe that Warren is remotely capable of MAKING THEM MORE MONEY?

You mean outside of negotiating the richest TV contract in the history of any conference in college sports? And, getting Big Ten football on THREE over-the-air national television networks per week?

Or, helping an NFL team build a $1 billion stadium with other people footing most of the bill, while the facility basically prints money for said team?

I think his "aligning with the PAC and ACC" was on purpose and he achieved exactly what he wanted from it. Media thinks this was a mistake, but they don't understand his reasoning behind it.
Correct. Checkers vs chess.

Kevin Warren did a good job with the Big Ten. I know some disagreed with the wishy-washy handling of the Covid season, but a lot of that was just being the messenger for the university presidents. Set the conference up to make a lot of future money.

I think the Bears job is a downgrade for him, but maybe it's just what he wants to do. The Arlington Heights plan makes me want to vomit. Hope he makes a deal to keep them on the lakefront, but he may not have a choice.

Kevin Warren did a good job with the Big Ten. I know some disagreed with the wishy-washy handling of the Covid season, but a lot of that was just being the messenger for the university presidents. Set the conference up to make a lot of future money.

I think the Bears job is a downgrade for him, but maybe it's just what he wants to do. The Arlington Heights plan makes me want to vomit. Hope he makes a deal to keep them on the lakefront, but he may not have a choice.
If he wants to be NFL commissioner, being an NFL GM is good experience.

You mean outside of negotiating the richest TV contract in the history of any conference in college sports? And, getting Big Ten football on THREE over-the-air national television networks per week?

Or, helping an NFL team build a $1 billion stadium with other people footing most of the bill, while the facility basically prints money for said team?
These are great and obvious points, but you forgot to use ALL CAPS to really make it sound like you know what you are talking about.

At the franchise level the franchises do nothing but football and football pr, football finance, etc
Well they constantly talk about Bears ownership here and while fans wanted to blame Ted for the bad GMs and coaches, the experts always said that Ted has nothing to do with football. The GMs reported directly to the McCaskeys.

Warren didn't make any of those calls himself.

You really don't know that the actual decision making, the lever pulling itself, is done by the presidents of the schools in the conference? Warren is just the figurehead and does their bidding.
I mean, pretty sure he was instrumental in the cancellation decision, and backtracked once the SEC had no issues.

Warren did fine as B1G Commissioner. He is a NFL guy and he will do fine with the Bears and yes he could end up as NFL Commissioner someday.

Good luck to him in his new gig.

Well they constantly talk about Bears ownership here and while fans wanted to blame Ted for the bad GMs and coaches, the experts always said that Ted has nothing to do with football. The GMs reported directly to the McCaskeys.
So then he does Pr, marketing, and community outreach for the football team which is still a football job compared to working with admin from 16 schools from 12 states

If he wants to be NFL commissioner, being an NFL GM is good experience.
Warren is not the Bears' GM. He's been named CEO.

The GM works for Warren.

20+ years as an NFL executive. Helped Wilfs buy the Purple. As stated in other posts, navigated the new stadium to reality. Law degree from Notre Dame.

Hey, it may happen, and it might work, and I'd be wrong. That is absolutely a possibility. I'm expressing the opinion that I'm skeptical that he would be tabbed for that position, or are we not allowed to voice skepticism any more? I don't see it, but I've been wrong before? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Hey, it may happen, and it might work, and I'd be wrong. That is absolutely a possibility. I'm expressing the opinion that I'm skeptical that he would be tabbed for that position, or are we not allowed to voice skepticism any more? I don't see it, but I've been wrong before? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Interesting response since I replied to someone else's post. He's about as qualified as you can get given his NFL experience to move into that role.

Interesting response since I replied to someone else's post. He's about as qualified as you can get given his NFL experience to move into that role.

My most humble and sincere apologies, I picked your post essentially at random, it could have been in response to several. A very serious infraction, no doubt about it....

Goodell spent his entire career in the NFL League offices, even going back to working as an intern. That's a quite a bit more experience than Warren's resume.

Again, it could happen and he could flourish, and I'd be wrong. Fair enough, no?

My most humble and sincere apologies, I picked your post essentially at random, it could have been in response to several. A very serious infraction, no doubt about it....

Goodell spent his entire career in the NFL League offices, even going back to working as an intern. That's a quite a bit more experience than Warren's resume.

Again, it could happen and he could flourish, and I'd be wrong. Fair enough, no?
You don't think he's qualified to run the Bears?

You don't think he's qualified to run the Bears?
I think we're talking about two different things? My posts have been in reference to the speculation that Warren could ultimately replace Roger Goodell as NFL Commissioner. I think we got our wires crossed here. Sure, his resume fits a high-level role with the Bears infinitely more than it does the NFL Commissioner.

I hope Warren stays away of dealing with all the high maintenance billionaires in the NFL. He is too nice of a guy to put himself in that position.

I hope Warren stays away of dealing with all the high maintenance billionaires in the NFL. He is too nice of a guy to put himself in that position.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the owners would much, much rather have Warren on the other end of the table, working with the NFLPA

What are you even talking about? When Goodell became commissioner, he had 24 years of experience in the NFL, which is the only place he has ever worked. Warren right now has 22 years of experience in the NFL, not including his experience as an attorney and agent representing NFL players, nor his experience as a major conference commissioner in the NCAA. He has way more life and work experience than Goodell had when he became commissioner, and assuming it's at least 2 years from now, he would even have more NFL experience than Goodell did. Just a bizarre post from you.

Oddly enough the thing that pisses him off to many (canceling football season) would likely be a plus as he has shown he is willing to publicly be bad guy in PR to do what his bosses (presidents) wanted. Nfl owners may like that.

On the Chicago radio this morning, they confirmed he will have Poles working for him. This is different than how Phillips ended his run. Also, they brought up the idea that he could replace Goodell but ultimately decided against it as he is only 4 years younger than Roger and the NFL would likely want someone younger.

Top Bottom