B1G commanding thus far in the NCAA Tournament

cncmin

Reaction score
8-1 through the first 9 games (and loving the only loss!!), average score 72.0 to 56.9 (+15.1 ppg). It's pretty elucidating to see how good B1G offenses look (except for UW, who missed a lot of easy shots) against non-B1G competition; 6 of 9 games at 70+. B1G defensive performances indicating that the often low-scoring games in the B1G are probably more a result of good defense rather than bad offense.

Perhaps, win or lose vs. Florida, these kind of performances will put the Gophers rough B1G season in a little perspective. Sure the losses at NW, at Neb, at OSU and at Iowa were bad; however, they had a lot of close losses against some very good competition, and had some nice wins, even if that kind of success was to be expected before the season started. While I am disappointed in the B1G results and expected much more, perhaps the ultimate reality is that the Gophers picked a very bad year in which to have their best team since ca. 1997, as there were so many tough teams at the top (Ind., OSU, Mich, MSU) and one extremely lucky one (UW), to go along with very few weak teams that would otherwise have presented opportunities to regain their composure once it was lost.

B1G score tracking thus far in the tournament:

MSU 65, Valpo 54
Wisconsin 46, Mississippi 57
OSU 95, Iona 70
Indiana 83, JMU 62
Michigan 71, SDSU 56
Illinois 57, Colorado 49
Minnesota 83, UCLA 63
MSU 70, Memphis 48
Michigan 78, VCU 53

Some good offenses have been held to pretty low scores by B1G defenses through the first 9 games, this often without B1G-type refs letting them play, so to speak. Also note that opponent scores by Iona and JMU were largely constructed in junk time long after the game was over.

Exactly.

Said this in another thread, but you don't really appreciate how good the Big 10 is watching them play each only each other.

As I've also said, Tubby's offense isn't the reinvention of the triangle by any means, but it looks a lot worse against the Big 10 defense. It isn't a terrible offense in design by any means.

8-1 through the first 9 games (and loving the only loss!!), average score 72.0 to 56.9 (+15.1 ppg). It's pretty elucidating to see how good B1G offenses look (except for UW, who missed a lot of easy shots) against non-B1G competition; 6 of 9 games at 70+. B1G defensive performances indicating that the often low-scoring games in the B1G are probably more a result of good defense rather than bad offense.

Perhaps, win or lose vs. Florida, these kind of performances will put the Gophers rough B1G season in a little perspective. Sure the losses at NW, at Neb, at OSU and at Iowa were bad; however, they had a lot of close losses against some very good competition, and had some nice wins, even if that kind of success was to be expected before the season started. While I am disappointed in the B1G results and expected much more, perhaps the ultimate reality is that the Gophers picked a very bad year in which to have their best team since ca. 1997, as there were so many tough teams at the top (Ind., OSU, Mich, MSU) and one extremely lucky one (UW), to go along with very few weak teams that would otherwise have presented opportunities to regain their composure once it was lost.

+1

i've also thought the big ten has definitely lived up to its billing as the best conference this season with their performance thus far. if the BIG were to sweep (kind of doubtful but hey it could happen) and get 6/16 teams in the sweet 16 that would be amazing. even 4/16 is pretty dang good.

Michigan was under-seeded going into the tournament. Don't tell me they aren't better than New Mexico.

Michigan was under-seeded going into the tournament. Don't tell me they aren't better than New Mexico.

Back a month or so ago I had Mich and Indy both in the FF. Mich seemed to be trending downward towards the end of the year and I have them going down to Kansas.....that may have been a mistake on my part.

Back a month or so ago I had Mich and Indy both in the FF. Mich seemed to be trending downward towards the end of the year and I have them going down to Kansas.....that may have been a mistake on my part.

Here it is, March 24, 2013, and you finally made a mistake this year. You're good, 19. :)

You obviously haven't seen my tournament bracket.

Not your fault, 19. You listened to and took input/information from outsiders. OOPS, That is mistake number two this year.

Were they? With how they finished? The seeding isn't done based on the best teams getting the highest seeds. It's about regular season accomplishment. Performance in the tournament is completely unrelated to seeding and whether a team was under or over seeded...

That's not to say they aren't better than NM, but I don't think they were underseeded... or NM overseeded.

Top Bottom