B1G coaches talk about their foes

Nate

cum grano salis
Reaction score
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2014

Minnesota

Opposing coaches size up the Golden Gophers:

“They are a tough crew. It’s a slugfest. They are built much like Iowa. They are very physical, fundamentally sound. I have a lot of respect for the coaching staff for the way they prepare their kids, especially on the defensive back end where they are physical.”…

“Losing the big kid inside on defense (Ra’Shede Hageman) is a big deal but they appeared to be recruiting well. Hageman could dominate some games and then others he wouldn’t really impact all that much.”…

“Offensively, they did a few different things. They do enough to keep you on edge. You have to coach your tail off against them. The way they use the fly sweep is creative. They are creative in the running game and in play-action.”…

“The wide receiver spot offensively is a bit of a problem for them. They have a good offensive line and good running backs but can they get the ball consistently downfield in the passing game? Getting a go-to receiver will be a huge deal for them.”…

“On defense, their skill guys were very good. They maybe had the most or one of the top guys in the league on skill on the defensive back end.”…

“Minnesota’s a really tough place to play when it’s colder than hell, soldout crowd and they’re always hanging in there. They are a difficult team to play.”…

“Philip Nelson, who transferred to Rutgers (later dismissed), didn’t necessarily scare you but they are high on their new quarterback (Mitch Leidner).”…
- See more at: http://athlonsports.com/college-foo...out-conference-foes-2014#sthash.WRJhUJz1.dpuf

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2014

Minnesota

“They are a tough crew. It’s a slugfest. They are built much like Iowa. They are very physical, fundamentally sound. I have a lot of respect for the coaching staff for the way they prepare their kids, especially on the defensive back end where they are physical.”…

“Losing the big kid inside on defense (Ra’Shede Hageman) is a big deal but they appeared to be recruiting well. Hageman could dominate some games and then others he wouldn’t really impact all that much.”…

“Offensively, they did a few different things. They do enough to keep you on edge. You have to coach your tail off against them. The way they use the fly sweep is creative. They are creative in the running game and in play-action.”…

“The wide receiver spot offensively is a bit of a problem for them. They have a good offensive line and good running backs but can they get the ball consistently downfield in the passing game? Getting a go-to receiver will be a huge deal for them.”…

“On defense, their skill guys were very good. They maybe had the most or one of the top guys in the league on skill on the defensive back end.”…

“Minnesota’s a really tough place to play when it’s colder than hell, soldout crowd and they’re always hanging in there. They are a difficult team to play.”…

“Philip Nelson, who transferred to Rutgers (later dismissed), didn’t necessarily scare you but they are high on their new quarterback (Mitch Leidner).”…
- See more at: http://athlonsports.com/college-foo...out-conference-foes-2014#sthash.WRJhUJz1.dpuf

Bo Pelini?

B1G Coaches size up the other teams

Minnesota

- See more at: http://athlonsports.com/college-foo...out-conference-foes-2014#sthash.OcAshzaS.dpuf

Fun to read some quotes and opinions from actual experts.

But they ignored tough questions like the ones about star rankings, whether D-backs should turn their heads, 40 times and a few others.

Minnesota

Mark Dantonio?

if pnel didn't scare defenses then our opponenets are laughing at the current QB situation. this coaching staff had better hit a homerun at qb with 1 of 4 qbs or they are screwed. they know it, we know it and the BT knows it. 3 yrs ago you could not have predicted this qb mess and had you tried it would have been considered to be an almost worst case scenario.

Iowa
Opposing coaches size up the Hawkeyes:

"Who hates 'em? We hate 'em!" - Anonymous

Fun to read some quotes and opinions from actual experts.

But they ignored tough questions like the ones about star rankings, whether D-backs should turn their heads, 40 times and a few others.

Dang. Just when I was looking for some deep insight too.

if pnel didn't scare defenses then our opponenets are laughing at the current QB situation. this coaching staff had better hit a homerun at qb with 1 of 4 qbs or they are screwed. they know it, we know it and the BT knows it. 3 yrs ago you could not have predicted this qb mess and had you tried it would have been considered to be an almost worst case scenario.

How about you wait until we actually lose to haul out your box of pessimism?

doesn't change the facts.

They are not facts. You THINK this team is in bad shape at QB position and are assuming that improvement can't be made over the off-season. Nice try.

I know middle school kids with more knowledge than you. ^

You seem to be confused. Your opinions are not facts. That why they play the games even though you have convinced yourself that you are "right". It appears that you must have gone to the wren school of "If you say it over and over it must be true".

You seem to be confused. Your opinions are not facts. That why they play the games even though you have convinced yourself that you are "right". It appears that you must have gone to the wren school of "If you say it over and over it must be true".

My opinion is that people who think their opinions are facts have extremely high opinions of their opinions, and the fact is they don't know a damned thing. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I don't know as much as the coaches. I don't know as much as our GopherHole experts. In fact, I don't know a damned thing.

Iowa
Opposing coaches size up the Hawkeyes:

"Who hates 'em? We hate 'em!" - Anonymous

Bullschidt, AuEGO4. We all know that was Coach Kill quoting GopherHole.

Honkers, you would be absolutely flabbergasted at the number of posters here who wouldn't dream of ever making this statement.

I know that for sure, OO. It's just that I don't bs like they do. Talk talk talk yadda yadda yadda. :blah::blah::blah:

And what will you say if Mitch is a home run recruit? I think I would be nervous now with the talent around Mitch. If he is for real we will know it and Kill will know and the Big Ten will know it.

I think going into his RSSoph year Mitch is a head of where Nelson was last year and all things aside the rest of the team is better which should help Mitch out too!

And what will you say if Mitch is a home run recruit? I think I would be nervous now with the talent around Mitch. If he is for real we will know it and Kill will know and the Big Ten will know it.

I think going into his RSSoph year Mitch is a head of where Nelson was last year and all things aside the rest of the team is better which should help Mitch out too!

i appreciate the response without a personal attack. I do hope he is a good leader and we'll find out.

English much?

fact/fækt/ Show Spelled [fakt] Show IPA
noun
1. something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.
2. something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.
3. a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true: Scientists gather facts about plant growth.
4. something said to be true or supposed to have happened: The facts given by the witness are highly questionable.

They are not facts. You THINK this team is in bad shape at QB position and are assuming that improvement can't be made over the off-season. Nice try.
And you THINK this team has an improving QB situation, and are assuming improvement has been made over the off-season. There are no facts on this site, it's all just emotion and conjecture.

And you THINK this team has an improving QB situation, and are assuming improvement has been made over the off-season. There are no facts on this site, it's all just emotion and conjecture.

Agreed. But I don't taint new threads with "sky is falling" BS. It gets old.

None of us know how this year will turn out, but we are all fans. It just confuses me why some "fans" would choose to shoot down their team before they have even played a single snap. The typical response when you call people on their unnecessary pessimism is usually something like, "I'm not a rose-colored glasses homer" or "I don't accept mediocrity". Again.. we haven't played a single snap. People need to lighten up a bit. If Mitch comes out and throws 4 picks in the first game, then by all means...

fact/fækt/ Show Spelled [fakt] Show IPA
noun
1. something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.
2. something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.
3. a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true: Scientists gather facts about plant growth.
4. something said to be true or supposed to have happened: The facts given by the witness are highly questionable.

Facts?!?

Top Bottom