Nebraska
Illinois

Pacific
USC
UCLA
Washington
Stanford
Cal

Each year you play your division and the entirety of another division for 9 conference games.
Inter division games change every year like the NFL.

4 division champions play east and west championships to get to the B1G championship!

No Futball regulation required. Play every team in BiG within 3 year window.

What you think?

Current 16 teams plus:
Washington- already happening
Stanford
Cal

And Notre Dame

4 divisions:

East
Maryland
Rutgers
Penn State
Norte Dame
Indiana

Central
Michigan
Ohio State
MSU
Purdue
Northwestern

Midwest
Gophers
Wisconsin
Iowa
Nebraska
Illinois

Pacific
USC
UCLA
Washington
Stanford
Cal

Each year you play your division and the entirety of another division for 9 conference games.

4 division champions play east and west championships to get to the B1G championship!

What you think?
Agree that they will set it up this way but not with Cal. Not positive on Stanford either. Oregon will be one. And don't forget the possibility of ACC teams.

Absolutely love it. Fingers crossed that it comes to fruition.

As mngolf states, we're not exactly sure which teams will fill out the 20.

I think the four divisions would be fun but don't see it happening like that (four divisional pod champions). Four divisions/pods, with interdivision play against only one other division, would require a four-team conference playoff (two weeks) which will not happen because of the CFP.

On the other hand, what would work is if the two pods that play each other effectively combine into one division for that year (with true round robin play of all teams in two pods) to find one champion of that combined division, then the champions of both divisions play for the conference championship.

I think the four divisions would be fun but don't see it happening like that (four divisional pod champions). Four divisions/pods, with interdivision play against only one other division, would require a four-team conference playoff (two weeks) which will not happen because of the CFP.

On the other hand, what would work is if the two pods that play each other effectively combine into one division for that year (with true round robin play of all teams in two pods) to find one champion of that combined division, then the champions of both divisions play for the conference championship.
That’s a great suggestion! Rotating competition to get to the B1G final!

Very nice!

Michigan and OSU would love and hate this.

If they want to try to spread the teams around for competitive reasons, My guess is in this scenario they'd put Ohio St in the East instead of ND. Illinois to the Central and then ND to the Midwest.

Ohio St and Michigan can be a protected rivalry game that's played every year.

If they want to try to spread the teams around for competitive reasons, My guess is in this scenario they'd put Ohio St in the East instead of ND. Illinois to the Central and then ND to the Midwest.

The issue with that is the second you start making exceptions to the scheduling process, you get into funky scenarios. For instance, if you play everyone in your division and one other division, what happens the years OSU's division plays a division other than Michigan's? Do they drop a non-conference game to allow for the protection? Do they drop one of the games from the other division? If so, who do they play, the team Michigan has to drop? Feels like an unnecessary process of you just stick Michigan and OSU in the same division.

yep. can't do protected rivalries if you have pods. destroys scheduling. so OSU-Mich have to decide if they want to have a slightly lesser chance at a CC or if they want to play each other. They'll still make the playoff if they only lose the one game when this goes to 12 teams which will happen prior to us having 20 teams well-established.

The issue with that is the second you start making exceptions to the scheduling process, you get into funky scenarios. For instance, if you play everyone in your division and one other division, what happens the years OSU's division plays a division other than Michigan's? Do they drop a non-conference game to allow for the protection? Do they drop one of the games from the other division? If so, who do they play, the team Michigan has to drop? Feels like an unnecessary process of you just stick Michigan and OSU in the same division.
Agree.

An interesting conundrum with this for teams is the travel schedule. When the east and pacific are matched up, going to be a lot of 3 hour time zone changes on back to back weeks.

Don’t know why you would break up Michigan and OSU. The East already has 2 blue bloods inPSU and the Domers. Midwest doesn’t have a blue blood but has a real blood bath of competitive teams and the West would have USC, UCLA and maybe Oregon.

With exception of the Central division all divisions are in the same time zone.

That's a good point. It might just be a switch with Notre Dame and Illinois then. I just don't see them not having a blue-blood in one of the divisions while having two some of the others.

The scheduling in this set up would be great. Play the other 4 in your division and all 5 in one of the others.

A 20 team division with 4 locked opponent and play the other 15 home and home every 6 years is a much easier to build and pick conference championship game model than a 16 team division less schedule with two locked opponents

They are fairly evenly dispersed. If you rank them 1-20. It’s something like.

1 tOSU
2. Michigan
3. USC
4. ND
5. PSU
6. Wisconsin
7. UCLA
8. Iowa
9. Washington
10. Gophers
11. MSU
12. Purdue
13. Nebraska
14. Indiana
15. Maryland
16. Stanford
17. Illinois
18. Northwestern
19. Rutgers
20. Cal

Yeah, some divisions are a little too heavy but you align them geographically and it just doesn’t flush out perfectly. But most of the rivalries are protected the way i set it up.

Current 16 teams plus:
Stanford
Cal

And Notre Dame

4 divisions:

East
Maryland
Rutgers
Penn State
Norte Dame
Indiana

Central
Michigan
Ohio State
MSU
Purdue
Northwestern

Midwest
Gophers
Wisconsin
Iowa
Nebraska
Illinois

Pacific
USC
UCLA
Washington
Stanford
Cal

What you think?
I like, it and think the new west coast teams would like the tradition/rivalries that would protect for them. I think Notre Dame, if in, would want to be in a division with MI and MSU due to rivalries they have had with them.

If you you drop Stanford and Cal, since there's no assurance either interested in joining Big ten, that leaves 18 teams with 9 in Eastand 9 in West, so play each team in your division (8games) then add two crossovers, for ten game conference schedule plus two non conference games. If Utah wants to join the party, (I am a hard no on oregon), and maybe north Carolina in east, that gets you twenty teaMs, then reduce non conference to one game

I think we should take a look at west virginia. With the Big12 going into shambles after texas and okla leave, I think they are going to try to find a new home. They are pretty far, distance wise, from every team in the conference as well.

I like this plan and you play 9 conference games and 2 non conference games. 12th game would be conference semifinals and 8 match-up games for rest of conference. This would not add games to the schedule.

Last edited:

Current 16 teams plus:
Stanford
Cal

And Notre Dame

4 divisions:

East
Maryland
Rutgers
Penn State
Norte Dame
Indiana

Central
Michigan
Ohio State
MSU
Purdue
Northwestern

Midwest
Gophers
Wisconsin
Iowa
Nebraska
Illinois

Pacific
USC
UCLA
Washington
Stanford
Cal

What you think?
Smart thinking and it makes sense, but I'd much rather have a Big Ten without MD, Rutgers, SoCal, Washington, UCLA, Stanford, Cal and Maryland! Regional conferences have been around for more than a century and now they are being blown apart by TV money.

Current 16 teams plus:
Stanford
Louisville
Notre Dame

5 divisions:

East
Maryland
Rutgers
Penn State
Ohio State

Central
Michigan
Norte Dame
MSU
Purdue

Central2
Illinois
Northwestern
Indiana
Louisville

Midwest
Gophers
Wisconsin
Iowa
Nebraska

Pacific
USC
UCLA
Washington
Stanford
Play your pod, another pod and your guaranteed rival if you have one (Michigan OSU, Notre Dame USC, Purdue Indiana), and one game a year against the pod you won't play in the current 4 year cycle.

I don’t think the big ten is expanding to 20 without notre dame

I’m concerned we would be adding a defective by design Stanford football team.

Historically they have recruited well but Stanford takes VERY few transfers admissions wise. That means players leave but they can’t reload via the portal.

There are other sports and academics to consider, but man that football program is in trouble.

Historically they have recruited well but Stanford takes VERY few transfers admissions wise. That means players leave but they can’t reload via the portal.

There are other sports and academics to consider, but man that football program is in trouble.

None of the Northern California teams add much to anything football wise.

Someone needs to take losses. They can be our Vanderbilt, a la they take the check and pay for Olympic sports similar to vandy taking to football money to have a great baseball team.

Someone needs to take losses. They can be our Vanderbilt, a la they take the check and pay for Olympic sports similar to vandy taking to football money to have a great baseball team.
Yeah it's not undo-able.

I just hate to see them in a spot where football fades and revenue drops because the program is permanently hobbled in a way that isn't fixable. Even Northwestern reaches up and does well here and there and wins. But if the portal is a one way door ... you're hosed, and potentally even just low on warm bodies sometimes...

I think we should take a look at west virginia. With the Big12 going into shambles after texas and okla leave, I think they are going to try to find a new home. They are pretty far, distance wise, from every team in the conference as well.
I don't think WV would meet academic standards. Kind of like what happened with Missouri.

Would poach Kansas just to get them in because of basketball. That and I think they would meet the academics requirements. Notre Dame has been offered countless times, they keep jilting Big 10.

IMO if the conference does not go with divisions I think it makes it difficult if not impossible some years to determine the best two teams for the conference championship. You’ll have teams with equal records that played different teams with the conference needing to determine which wins and losses were better than others. Most years it probably isn’t as easy as saying Michigan and Ohio State are the best since you’ll also have a very good USC team and some years you may have a good Michigan State or Wisconsin (let’s hope not) or another added team may be very good. If they all have different schedules it makes it next to impossible without division winners.

Top Bottom