Awesome column from Chip: Minnesota farmers are in the fields, but that doesn't mean they're missing action on the fields

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

HECTOR, MINN. – Deron Johnson was a teenager when Gophers great Darrell Thompson broke off a 98-yard touchdown run against Michigan in 1987. Johnson spent the rest of the afternoon mimicking that run.

He graduated from the Carlson School of Management in 1995 and has held Gophers football season tickets for 21 years. He can recall exactly where he was, the precise location, for memorable plays throughout his life.

Ask him about a game-winning play, a fourth-quarter comeback or a dropped snap on a punt against Wisconsin, and Johnson remembers where he was so precisely it's as if he's looking at GPS coordinates.

He wasn't inside the stadium or on his couch at home.

He was working on the farm, usually driving a combine during fall harvest.

"Some of my best Gophers moments have been out here listening," he said Saturday, as he maneuvered his John Deere combine through corn fields at Johnson Farms.

Listening to games on the radio because the harvest months of September and October make it nearly impossible for farmers to attend home games. Their days are long, the work too important, but their fandom for the Gophers and Vikings doesn't take a hiatus.

Farming and listening to football on fall weekends is a tale as old as time in outstate Minnesota.

"I grew up in the Murray Warmath era and listening to Ray Christensen," said Johnson's dad, Larry, who is 78 and retired but stays involved with the family business. A farmer's work ethic never retires.

Deron is a fifth-generation Johnson farmer in Renville County, dating to 1898 when his grandpa's grandpa purchased a 160-acre plot.

Go Gophers!!

I saw Darrell Thompson play against WI in a pouring down rain in Madison.
The radio announcer for MN said games like this give college football a bad name.
Johnson did have a breakout run with only a very small WI safety between him and the goal line.
The safety threw his body at Johnson who tripped over the safety.
Thompson got up clutching his famous hamstring and never came back in.
The Packers drafted him and that hamstring kept his body intact through multiple seasons with the Packers continuing to hope that someday Thompson would play a complete season.
A very smart man is Darell Thompson.

The radio announcer for MN said games like this give college football a bad name.
Johnson did have a breakout run with only a very small WI safety between him and the goal line.
The Packers drafted him and that hamstring kept his body intact through multiple seasons with the Packers continuing to hope that someday Thompson would play a complete season.
Not an insult but Patrick used to write like this... Kudos...

Who is this Johnson player you reference?

Top Bottom