Away game tickets, where you headed in 2022?

Forever's got me on all the Big Ten campuses (I'm missing Rutgers). My recommendation for PSU is to worry about accommodations before tickets. We ended up staying in Altoona; it's not a bad drive on gameday, but it definitely feels like we missed out on some of the experience. The drive from Pittsburgh wasn't terrible, but I would try to get closer.

PSU still ranks as the nicest fans in the Big Ten, IMO. We beat them in '03, and the guys next to us in the tailgate lot grilled up steaks for us as a congratulations. This wasn't some frozen No-Name steak either; big ole' steak from the market. They were nice throughout the campus as well, minus the occasional individual. Some say Nebraska fans, and they were nice, but I felt that it was more or less fake as they knew they were going to drill us that year. They seem to be showing some true colors now that they're down the pecking order in the Big Ten west.

As for road Gopher games this year, if I do go, it will be a last minute "let's go" trip. My trips now are to experience other college venues across the country. Last year I hit up Notre Dame (vs. USC) & Alabama (vs LSU), in addition to the Gopher game at Colorado. Hit up Tennessee a few years ago. My eyes now are set on LSU, Auburn, and hopefully the big whale to me, the Army-Navy game.

When do tickets for away games go on sale for season ticket holders?

We were already planning to pick up tickets for the Penn State game as my son will be in his final year of law school there and we haven’t been there since moving him in back in August of 2020.

Now with it likely being the White Out game, I’m getting concerned about tickets and lodging. I buy tix for an away game most years but with Covid, it has been a a couple years now and I can’t remember when the tix go on sale. July or late June?

As long as I am posting a thread for this… anyone else already planning on that game or others? What campus are you headed to in ‘22?
Penn State as well. Need to book my flight and rent a car? Hotel is already locked in. Most likely the only road game this season?

Trying to work out the logistics for Penn State- have an Air BnB booked in State College. Never been to Happy Valley so this is my top hope for 2022.

If we can't swing Penn State- will either hit Champaign (never been) or East Lansing instead (went once in 2006).

Will for sure go to Madison- easy drive and cheap/plentiful hotel options.

Likely to go to Lincoln as well.

We’re booked into Altoona as well for PSU. If any Gopher fans want to all go in together on an Airbnb in town and split it, lmk becauee that drive back to Altoona will be tough when all we’ll want to do is celebrate after we beat them in prime time

PSU overrated, been there 4 times. If you have not been there, go and you can say you went.

PSU overrated, been there 4 times. If you have not been there, go and you can say you went.
To each their own. I thought Happy Valley was great, but is what it is.

I thought Ann Arbor was overrated; some may think I'm nuts.

Rank your best road trips (and why) if you have a minute.

Years ago I was a visiting professor at Hershey, PA and we drove to Happy Valley to see what it was like.
We found the campus atmosphere to be charming but it is very isolated by its geography.
I think that may account for the insular attitudes of many PSU students and alumni.

Bought 2 tix for Nebraska today through u of m. Am I guaranteed to get them or if there is enough demand and my gopher score is too low could I get bumped?

Bought 2 tix for Nebraska today through u of m. Am I guaranteed to get them or if there is enough demand and my gopher score is too low could I get bumped?
From the way I interpret it, you could be bumped. Although unlikely. Generally the only away games we sell out our allocation for are Iowa and Wisconsin.

Plus I assume buying early gets you ahead of every other purchaser without a gopher score if you also have no gopher score.

Last edited:

Rank your best road trips (and why) if you have a minute.
You didn’t ask me but:
1) Nebraska - have friends whose parents are big in the ethanol industry near Lincoln. Because of this my access to ELITE tailgated is unbelievable
2) Wisconsin - fun atmosphere and I personally have been treated well
3) Iowa - love everything about it except it is too small for the number of people they cram into it
4) Penn state - great vibes. Really fun. Road trip too long. Would be higher if closer

Big gap

5) Indiana - of the mediocre road trips this is the cheapest
6) Michigan state - nothing special. Not sold out.
7) Purdue - have not been there in a long time, but in my memory…a dump

Haven’t been but would like to in order:
1) Ohio state
2) Michigan
3) Maryland
4) northwestern
5) Illinois
6) Rutgers

You didn’t ask me but:
1) Nebraska - have friends whose parents are big in the ethanol industry near Lincoln. Because of this my access to ELITE tailgated is unbelievable
3) Iowa - love everything about it except it is too small for the number of people they cram into it
4) Penn state - great vibes. Really fun. Road trip too long. Would be higher if closer

Big gap

1) Ohio state
2) Michigan
3) Maryland
4) northwestern
5) Illinois
6) Rutgers
You'll have to tell me which tailgate to hit up. J/K

You didn’t ask me but:

Big gap

1) Ohio state
2) Michigan
3) Maryland
4) northwestern
5) Illinois
6) Rutgers
For me:

1. Nebraska (reasonable drive, best stadium and gameday atmosphere, Lincoln is fun, extremely welcoming fan base)
2. Iowa (easy drive, Kinnick is cramped but sick setting for a game. IC great party town)
3. Wisconsin (easy drive, Camp Randall is overrated but if you can't have fun in Madison then there's no helping you)
4. Indiana (stadium/gameday itself is nothing special, but Bloomington is gorgeous and really fun party town)
5. Michigan State (caveat, haven't been since 2006. Would like to go back soon)
6. Michigan (caveat, haven't been since 2005. But was let down by the Big House and Ann Arbor in general. Tough to beat seeing us win there though.)
7. Northwestern (stadium is a dump, and the nightlife is lacking. Evanston is a super pretty/leafy town along the lake)
8. Maryland (stadium was decent enough, but was very underwhelmed by College Park and the nightlife/bar scene)
9. Purdue (haven't been since 2008 and not exactly dying to get back)

Haven't been to Ohio State, Penn State, Illinois, or Rutgers yet.

I’ll be there as well. Definitely will be interested to see how much Maroon makes it there
Got my tickets from the U for PSU. I think the white out will get some people to go, but not that many since there's nowhere to stay unless you had already booked it prior to the white out being announced.

We booked back in January and even then the pickings were slim.

Got my tickets from the U for PSU. I think the white out will get some people to go, but not that many since there's nowhere to stay unless you had already booked it prior to the white out being announced.

This is absolutely true. I believe businesses including hotels at State College on PSU campus all of banned hotel availabilities on game days so away team friends/fans/families have no where to stay. I find it hard to believe M-F all have availabilities but miraculously Saturdays on games days are all booked!

I ended up booking a room in Altoona (45 mins away) crazy!

Also bought PSU tickets and very excited to make that trip for the first time. Found a not-very-luxurious Airbnb not too far from the stadium and feel very lucky as you're right the choices were quite limited.

This is absolutely true. I believe businesses including hotels at State College on PSU campus all of banned hotel availabilities on game days so away team friends/fans/families have no where to stay. I find it hard to believe M-F all have availabilities but miraculously Saturdays on games days are all booked!

Same here for Altoona.

Yup, we’ll be in staying 2 nights in clearfield. Driving in from west of happy valley. There were some options in the $300 a night range when I booked 6 months ago but I had no interest in paying that to be in an area that’s really not that fun outside of the game.

I think Penn State long timers eat up the hotel availability really quickly and leave nothing for the away fans who tend to book a bit later. It’s a huge stadium and there really aren’t that many hotels to begin with.

Well be in Altoona as well

Shouldn’t away game tickets be on sale soon for Gopher season ticket holders? This week maybe?

Shouldn’t away game tickets be on sale soon for Gopher season ticket holders? This week maybe?
I already ordered away tix for Nebraska or did you mean for Penn State?

Last edited:

Due to weddings…
My only option is Madison. A lot of weddings this fall. So dumb.
Always a good time at Madison, especially if Gophs win.

Last edited:

Top Bottom