Augustana (Sioux Falls) will have DI men's team in 2023

T Denny ... money still burning a hole in his pocket. Just can't stop building sports facilities.

Should be a fairly safe bet that CCHA will pick them up, to go with UST, Bemidji, and Mankato in the Western wing.

T Denny ... money still burning a hole in his pocket. Just can't stop building sports facilities.

Should be a fairly safe bet that CCHA will pick them up, to go with UST, Bemidji, and Mankato in the Western wing.
This would be a nice set up.

Now just get the NCHC to call itself the WCHA, and we have some semblance of normalcy.

Now just get the NCHC to call itself the WCHA, and we have some semblance of normalcy.
Neither here nor there, but I found the name Western Collegiate Hockey Association kind of a misnomer, especially because there was not much "Western" about it until Alaska Anchorage came on board.

When I followed the league in the 70s there were 10 schools:

4 in the Eastern Time Zone (Michigan, Michigan St, Michigan Tech & Notre Dame)
4 in the Central Time Zone (Wisconsin, Minnesota, Minnesota-Duluth & North Dakota)
2 in the Mountain Time Zone (Denver & Colorado College).

I guess "Western" meant west of the Appalachians.

Yes "Western" meant west of the Appalachians. Just like the "Big Ten" was once the "Western Conference" and "The Western Architect" was published in Minneapolis.

What was confusing was overlaying the "West" with the Northwest Territory giving us institutions like the old "Northwest Bank".

Yes "Western" meant west of the Appalachians. Just like the "Big Ten" was once the "Western Conference" and "The Western Architect" was published in Minneapolis.

What was confusing was overlaying the "West" with the Northwest Territory giving us institutions like the old "Northwest Bank".
But the Western Conference rightly changed their name in due time to the Big 10.

Of course, for puck the other predominant conferences were the Eastern College Athletic Association (ECAC) and the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA) so I get it from that standpoint.

Here's a timeline of college hockey leagues. I sort of long for the return of the Quadrangular League. The early part of the time line has us going from Midwest to Western in 53-54

1933-34: Quadrangular League forms with Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton and Yale.

1941-42: Army joins Quadrangular League, which is renamed Pentagonal League.

1946-47: Army leaves Pentagonal League.

1947-48: Brown joins Pentagonal League.

1950-51: Tri-State League forms with Clarkson, Colgate, Middlebury, Rensselaer, St. Lawrence and Williams.

1951-52: Midwest Collegiate Hockey League (MCHL) forms with Colorado College, Denver, Michigan, Michigan State, Michigan Tech, Minnesota and North Dakota. Colgate leaves Tri-State League.

1952-53: Williams leaves Tri-State League.

1953-54: MCHL is renamed Western Intercollegiate Hockey League (WIHL).

1955-56: Pentagonal League is renamed Ivy League.

1958-59: WIHL teams play as independents after the league disbands. Cornell joins Ivy League.

1959-60: WIHL teams reform as Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA). Middlebury leaves Tri-State League.

1961-62: Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) forms an informal, one-division, 28-team league that includes future Division I members American International, Army, Boston College, Boston University, Brown, Clarkson, Colgate, Connecticut, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Massachusetts, Merrimack, New Hampshire, Northeastern, Princeton, Providence, Rensselaer, St. Lawrence and Yale.

1964-65: American International, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Merrimack and New Hampshire leave ECAC’s top division. Tri-State League is renamed Independent College Athletic Conference (ICAC).

1965-66: Minnesota-Duluth joins WCHA.

1966-67: New Hampshire joins ECAC.

1967-68: Pennsylvania joins ECAC and Ivy League.

1969-70: Wisconsin joins WCHA.

1971-72: Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA) forms with Bowling Green, Ohio, Ohio State and Saint Louis. Notre Dame joins WCHA.

1972-73: Lake Superior State joins CCHA. ICAC dissolves

Top Bottom