Auburn Offensive Coordinator?

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
Yesterday (I think) Auburn OC Kenny Dillingham accepted the OC position at Florida State. His replacement will be fired Arkansas head coach Chad Morris. What I cannot figure out, however, is the timeline. Will Dillingham depart immediately for Florida State to help with recruiting or will he stay on to scheme the bowl game?
Perhaps our Auburn visitor knows the answer.

IIRC I believe I heard Malzahn does most of the offensive play calling so, although a big change, may not affect gameplanning all that much.

Was listening to the SEC network on the way home from work. They mentioned that Morris may get more control of the offense and they may try to practice some of what Morris brings to the table in order to use it for the bowl game. So that may be a disadvantage for the Gophers if that happens.

Also, said the Auburn fans where not excited about not getting the Citrus Bowl. They talked about their opponent but never mention Minnesota by name. Thought that was interesting. However, said it was all about money and two helmet schools going at it for the Citrus Bowl. Nothing that we didn't already know.

Was listening to the SEC network on the way home from work. They mentioned that Morris may get more control of the offense and they may try to practice some of what Morris brings to the table in order to use it for the bowl game. So that may be a disadvantage for the Gophers if that happens.

We call that scheming against ghosts.

I am really surprised that he had an OC. If you remember, on his original staff, he hired the recruiting coordinators from 6 different universities.

I am really surprised that he had an OC. If you remember, on his original staff, he hired the recruiting coordinators from 6 different universities.
LOL, what? He most certainly did not. Where do you come up with these fantasies?

Interesting when an OC moves in a parallel way to take another OC position. Especially one at a program that is not doing well.
Either he will have more control of the offense there or a lot more $$ or perhaps both.

Interesting when an OC moves in a parallel way to take another OC position. Especially one at a program that is not doing well.
Either he will have more control of the offense there or a lot more $$ or perhaps both.
Auburn OC's under Malzahn could not have less control...and they have all moved on in a hurry (Lashlee, Lindsey and now Dillingham). This could finally be the change that all Auburn fans have been hoping for...if not the rather large anti-Gus mob will have additional evidence that Malzahn is simply too unaware to realize that his offensive scheme is predictable. I'm convinced Jeremy Pruitt (UT) knows every play before being run when we've gone against him...it's certain there are "tells" to the scheme and the route trees in the passing game are middle schoolish in complexity. That and an inadequate offensive line nearly got Jarrett Stidham killed over the last two years in this offense. There is no such thing as an Auburn QB stepping up in the pocket. Hoping Morris can fix this, jury will be out for a while....

Also, said the Auburn fans where not excited about not getting the Citrus Bowl. They talked about their opponent but never mention Minnesota by name. Thought that was interesting. However, said it was all about money and two helmet schools going at it for the Citrus Bowl. Nothing that we didn't already know.

I would be shocked to see them try and change much of anything offensively before the bowl game. There just isn't enough time with the limited number of practices leading up to the game to install a bunch of new stuff. Might be a wrinkle or two but nothing significant.

Morris has to transition to a new job, get to know the personnel, work on recruiting and get to know the offensive staff. From the sounds of things Gus has a stranglehold on the offense and I can't see that changing in a short window like the one leading up to the bowl game.

Any major influence Morris will have on their offense will come into play after the season leading into next year.

Malzahn taught Morris his offense almost 20 years ago while they were HS coaches in Arkansas and Texas. Both became HS coaching icons in their respective state and became very close friends. Morris since put his own tweaks to Malzahn's offense and has had major success in the college ranks as OC at Tulsa and then Clemson. The transition of Morris to OC at Auburn should be very smooth, as long as the 2 have clearly defined how things are going to work. I really don't believe Malzahn wants to give up calling plays and I have a hard time thinking Morris would want to just be a pawn. If things work out, Morris should be able to "freshen up" Malzahn's offense and create headaches for opposing DC's. The OL is still going to be an issue until recruiting/coaching can catch up.

I'm really nervous about this bowl game. Bowl games can be a toss-up as to how teams will play. I think AU may have a let down after a mildly disappointing season where they felt they had a shot at a championship. They could also have a let down after a hard-fought and emotionally draining victory over Bama. Fleck's enthusiasum and ability to motivate is what really worries me. Auburn probably has a talent advantage as a whole but I think MN could have an advantage at skilled positions. If Fleck has them up, they could negate any advantages AU has.

I'm really excited to be playing MN. I have watched more closely over the latter portion of the season and was really pulling for y'all to win the B1G and get into the playoff's.

Here’s a link to a video about how Chad Morris is the worst coach ever. It’s pretty funny

Agreed that Morris' time at Arky was a farce but he was dealing with a depleted talent pool. Arky has been in a downward spiral for a few years now. Morris at least got them the best recruiting class in many, many years. I believe the class ranked 23rd. Bileama had been recruiting big, slow guys which in no way fits Morris' system. I believe you might want to check out Morris' record and stats while the OC at Tulsa and Clemson.

Top Bottom