Attendance hits lowest level since 1981

I'm going to PARTLY blame my pet peve.

Sports media outlet focus on the national championship above all. They interrupt everyone games to talk about it and in the process devalue what makes college football great, the regional games, rivalries and etc.

Folks want CFB to be the NFL so bad they'll kill it trying to make it the NFL.

According to the article, Big 10 attendance was up 0.003% compared to 2019. Gopher attendance was down by 50 per game versus 2019, but both years are up compared to the three previous years, after scholarship seating was introduced (that's us below). Nice to see that Gopher attendance has been basically average to slightly above average over the past 10 years or so.

2015366,4847TCU (54,147)52,355
2016306,6977Iowa (49,145)43,814
2017310,5067Michigan State (47,541)44,358
2018265,4077Iowa (48,199)37,915
2019323,3307Wisconsin (53,756)46,190
20201,9533Iowa (771)651
2021322,9787Ohio State (50,805)46,140

OK, so the Gophers had the extra seating for Vikings games in 2014 and 2015 - approximately 2,000 extra seats if my memory holds.

further research - listed normal capacity is 50,805. the 2 Vikings seasons it was 52,525.

So how did they have 53,756 for the 2019 Badger game when the listed capacity is 50,805. Did they sell standing-room only tickets? were some fans sitting in other fans' laps? did the State Fire Marshall know about this?

No shock that attendance numbers keep going down. Tickets/parking/concessions cost a fortune and the home viewing experience just keeps getting better and better.
Yeah, schools don't seem to care if stadiums are full. Care more about charging as much as they can get away with. I realize they are trying to maximize profits, but I always wonder long-term how much it will hurt them if people stop going to games in person. Short-term they may be making more money, but long-term their fan base may dwindle.

Sports media outlet focus on the national championship above all. They interrupt everyone games to talk about it and in the process devalue what makes college football great, the regional games, rivalries and etc.

This is a huge part of it for places like MN where our casual fans are often huge pro sports fans. I know several Vikes fans who say things like "yeah, call me when they win the Big 10" or "they'd get killed by Alabama". The obsession with the championship but some news outlets and for the casual fan has changed college football.

I don't remember who but I know there were some people on this board who talked about not going to or watching the WI game this year after we lost to Illinois because it didn't matter (paraphrasing). That is the antithesis of college football. If MN and WI are playing a game of football, it always matters. It matters a lot.

So I couldn't agree more with your post. There has been a change in college football where (IMO) it's being seen through the lens of the NFL or other pro sports and it's not healthy.

OK, so the Gophers had the extra seating for Vikings games in 2014 and 2015 - approximately 2,000 extra seats if my memory holds.

further research - listed normal capacity is 50,805. the 2 Vikings seasons it was 52,525.

So how did they have 53,756 for the 2019 Badger game when the listed capacity is 50,805. Did they sell standing-room only tickets? were some fans sitting in other fans' laps? did the State Fire Marshall know about this?
Yeah, it was packed and they did sell standing rooom only tickets.

This is a huge part of it for places like MN where our casual fans are often huge pro sports fans. I know several Vikes fans who say things like "yeah, call me when they win the Big 10" or "they'd get killed by Alabama". The obsession with the championship but some news outlets and for the casual fan has changed college football.

I don't remember who but I know there were some people on this board who talked about not going to or watching the WI game this year after we lost to Illinois because it didn't matter (paraphrasing). That is the antithesis of college football. If MN and WI are playing a game of football, it always matters. It matters a lot.

So I couldn't agree more with your post. There has been a change in college football where (IMO) it's being seen through the lens of the NFL or other pro sports and it's not healthy.
To add to this, poeple have to realize going to the game is most likely a 5+ hour commitment. I gladly make that commitment every home game, making a day or night of it. Never get all the complaints about traffic, getting in/out of parking, etc. I rarely get to the campus at a time where I have to wait to park, and rarely leave where I have to wait to exit parking, or have any traffic issues.

2021 was also a year where a percentage of people were making the choice not to go to large gatherings due to COVID. I don't think there is any way that didn't impact numbers nationally around college football - especially at programs that aren't in the Top 30-40.

Call WCCO.

Totally agree.

Some of the most popular (note, not the best ones) CFB pods spend 75%+ of their time talking about the playoff. And not just in November, but all season long.

It's weird and pathetic.

Covid, price & product. The first two have been discussed. The last incorporates: the time commitment (mentioned), the quality of the teams on the field, the experience at the game, the experience in your den (mentioned). The last of these is formidable and why I think the Gophers have the right-sized stadium and don't have to expand. (networks know that a football game is way better than re-runs of Three's Company, and the league will keep the TV money flowing regardless of fans in the seats).The time commitment - well you are a fan or you're not. PJ and the league are in control of the quality of the teams on the field - here I think the new alliance will up the over-all quality and incite/excite some new fans. As far as the experience at the game, well I've written about this before with a whole pile of my pet peeves, and I hope the WI game is an indication of things to come.

FBS added about 10 teams that are on the very low end of attendance. This “expansion” of FBS accounts for about 1/3 of the decline of average attendance.

Then, when you look at the trend leading up to it, COVID probably accounts for another 1/3 (which will probably reverse over the the next couple of seasons).

That only leaves about 1/3 left unexplained. Not much of a story left at that point.

Here is my observation: Men's softball is all but dead, pick up sports in the park, street, backyard....no more. Kids do not give a crap. There will be less kids to choose from to play all sports and teams will decrease at every level. You can watch on numerous devices so why go?

Here is my observation: Men's softball is all but dead, pick up sports in the park, street, backyard....no more. Kids do not give a crap. There will be less kids to choose from to play all sports and teams will decrease at every level. You can watch on numerous devices so why go?
Men's softball is all but dead???? I was playing til a couple years ago and it was going strong (I had to stop due to conflicts with my kids sports). My old team still going strong. League was still full.

Kids are still playing sports but it's more organized with traveling leagues bigger than ever.

The game day experience has been ruined by the increasing number of TV time outs.
The increasingly frequent long time outs while the officials try to decide if it was a fumble etc are also very annoying.
This is just starting to happen college BB.
If you are home watching the game they do not seem as bad because you can easily get up and do other things.
The availability and decreasing cost of really big TV screens has enhanced watching the game at home and you can switch to other games when the ads are on the game you are watching.
The $$ the BIG is getting from TV is starting to diminish the need for some schools to fill the stadium.

I'll admit... I had two tickets and brought my 7 and 5 year old for the Wisconsin game. Sorry, not sorry. For the record, none of us sat in our seats and I more than made up for the price of the ticket in Hot Chocolate and Mini Donut trips.

Men's softball is all but dead???? I was playing til a couple years ago and it was going strong (I had to stop due to conflicts with my kids sports). My old team still going strong. League was still full.

Kids are still playing sports but it's more organized with traveling leagues bigger than ever.
Maybe softball's not dead but definitely on the major decline. Pop it into Google. Minnesota and Nationwide, league and teams are down 75% from what they were 20 years ago. Big decline.

Maybe softball's not dead but definitely on the major decline. Pop it into Google. Minnesota and Nationwide, league and teams are down 75% from what they were 20 years ago. Big decline.
Just googled it and the only thing I could find was an article from 2002 that said participation was way down, so apparently it's been declining for more than 20 years. I started playing about 25 years ago and at least in the cities I've played in (north suburbs), things have held pretty steady. Could also be a parallel to the drop in popularity of baseball.

Last edited:

There's an interesting phenomenon in my household. I have a wife and 4 kids. If I watch a game on TV, my wife might sit with me and half pay attention while playing on her tablet. The only kid who might watch with me is kid #3...and that's only about 50% of the time. The rest will not rearrange their schedule in the slightest in order to watch it on TV.

However; I have 3 season tickets and they all clamor to go with me as much as possible. We try to divide it up evenly and everyone loves to go and gets into it. So for my family, the casual fan would much rather go and watch it in person than watch it at home. Don't know why we buck the trend.

There's an interesting phenomenon in my household. I have a wife and 4 kids. If I watch a game on TV, my wife might sit with me and half pay attention while playing on her tablet. The only kid who might watch with me is kid #3...and that's only about 50% of the time. The rest will not rearrange their schedule in the slightest in order to watch it on TV.

However; I have 3 season tickets and they all clamor to go with me as much as possible. We try to divide it up evenly and everyone loves to go and gets into it. So for my family, the casual fan would much rather go and watch it in person than watch it at home. Don't know why we buck the trend.
My kids like going to games, but not if it's just with (boring) dad (me). They want to bring friends along. My son will watch about half of games with me on TV (football or hockey).

My kids like going to games, but not if it's just with (boring) dad (me). They want to bring friends along. My son will watch about half of games with me on TV (football or hockey).
It is interesting. Kids seem to have very little interest in watching sports on TV these days (obviously doesn't apply to all kids). They just have so many other choices, sitting through a sporting event on TV isn't that appealing to them. I know when I have coached sports we ask the kids how much they watch the professional teams play and it is almost always a really small amount.

As this current generation gets older it will be interesting to see if there is a dip in ratings for broadcast sporting events.

Came up earlier in the thread, but the ridiculously long commercial breaks certainly don't help keep their attention. Those adds come on and the attention level drops to next to nothing and they start looking for something else to do.

Agree. For me, my "championships" for Gopher football are beating WI, IA, and NE on a regular basis, (finally) winning the West, and getting a great bowl game. I could really give a sh*t about winning a national championship because I know it's almost impossible for us to achieve that. So why pine away about something that most likely won't happen? Enjoy Gopher football, games at the Bank, Minnesota fall weather, game day fun, etc. Also, if it's in your budget, travel to watch the Gophers on the road or at a bowl game. Our group looks forward to road trips and seeing new cities and stadiums.

It is interesting. Kids seem to have very little interest in watching sports on TV these days (obviously doesn't apply to all kids). They just have so many other choices, sitting through a sporting event on TV isn't that appealing to them. I know when I have coached sports we ask the kids how much they watch the professional teams play and it is almost always a really small amount.

As this current generation gets older it will be interesting to see if there is a dip in ratings for broadcast sporting events.

Came up earlier in the thread, but the ridiculously long commercial breaks certainly don't help keep their attention. Those adds come on and the attention level drops to next to nothing and they start looking for something else to do.
It's simple, going in person is far more stimulating and for young children who have smaller attention spans (not helped by a lot of children's media either), it's far more interesting to be there in person. The sight, sounds, smells, opportunity (small as it may be) to be on the big screen, fun foods to eat, etc.

I’m sure the pandemic had nothing to do with this did it?

I go to every game with all 3 of my brothers, my 2 sons come to most games, my wife is hit and miss, and my sister in law and usually 4 people from her family come. Our tailgate has grown year to year, we’ve improved various aspects of that experience, and I would give up just about any other social and/or entertainment purchases etc. in order to keep tailgating. The sights, sounds, the feel of a crisp fall day or even the elements that the players are dealing with… the energy that’s in the stadium for every rivalry game (that gets dialed up with success on the field)… our team has been getting more and more on field success, our players (led by our coach) are by all accounts very successful in the classroom, fine young men doing good off the field, and I take pride in those things too. Fall Saturdays are family, fun, and I hope are some great memories for my kids as they grow up.

I go to every game with all 3 of my brothers, my 2 sons come to most games, my wife is hit and miss, and my sister in law and usually 4 people from her family come. Our tailgate has grown year to year, we’ve improved various aspects of that experience, and I would give up just about any other social and/or entertainment purchases etc. in order to keep tailgating. The sights, sounds, the feel of a crisp fall day or even the elements that the players are dealing with… the energy that’s in the stadium for every rivalry game (that gets dialed up with success on the field)… our team has been getting more and more on field success, our players (led by our coach) are by all accounts very successful in the classroom, fine young men doing good off the field, and I take pride in those things too. Fall Saturdays are family, fun, and I hope are some great memories for my kids as they grow up.
You’re not doing it right if watching on TV is at all close to a similar experience for you! ❤️

I think some of the drunks ruin the experience for a lot of people. I remember some guy touching my underage sister years back at a Viking game and my Dad really stopped taking us to games. This may seem minute, but I do feel as though lots of families don’t like the idea of bringing their kids around those atmospheres. I get it, it’s sports and it’s a blast, but I also get why it’s not always an ideal place for a “family outing” the way our board may think of it at times.

Top Bottom