Athlon: Not a stretch to think Fleck can turn Minnesota into a Wisconsin-like program

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

Minnesota has plucked the Western Michigan coach — one of the hottest young names in college football — from the cozy confines of the MAC and inserted him into the wild and underrated Big Ten West.

For the Gophers and the Big Ten Conference in general, this is a great move. It's yet another splash in terms of coaching hires that keeps the old conference in the headlines. For Minnesota, it puts Gopher football on the map in a way it has not been in a very long time.

Fleck's high energy and contagiously positive attitude are going to go a long way in luring recruits to play at Minnesota. A new stadium and a hip, modern metropolis — even if it may be on the cold side for most of the year — will be integral assets for Fleck as he attempts to turn Gopher football into a hot program.

Given that the Gophers are the only FBS program in the state, it's not a stretch to think Fleck can lock down the borders and turn Minnesota into a Wisconsin-like program rather quickly.

As good as that sounds for the University of Minnesota and their supporters, that is a scary thought for any player, coach or fan of any other team in the Big Ten West.

http://athlonsports.com/college-foo...e-difficulty-already-competitive-big-ten-west

Go Gophers!!

Maybe so, but I don't aspire to be like the Badgers. I want to exceed what they've accomplished (again, like the Gophers have done in the past).

It takes more than a great coach to make a great program. Hopefully the U continues its financial commitments and support.

We could lose 6 National Championships and still have more.

That's usually how it starts, though...

Not true...it starts with support and money. Great coaches don't come to crappy programs...just look at our last 8 or so coaches. But once the stadium got build, the athletes village got started and the U finally is paying a fair wage for coaches...we miraculously got our man.

Athlon: Not a stretch to think Fleck can turn Minnesota into a Wisconsin-like program.....

Do GopherHolers need to amp up our beer drinking now?

Fact - since 1993, the Badgers have won 6 conference titles - either outright or co-champs.

You can bad-mouth Wisconsin 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - and that will NOT change the fact that Wisconsin has been a much more successful program than MN over the last 20+ years.

Now - that can change. It may change. But, until it does change, I suggest that Gopher fans worry more about the Gophers, and worry less about Wisconsin.

What the badgers have accomplished in the last 20+ years does not change the fact that their fans are nothing but inbred drunkards.

Fact - since 1993, the Badgers have won 6 conference titles - either outright or co-champs.

You can bad-mouth Wisconsin 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - and that will NOT change the fact that Wisconsin has been a much more successful program than MN over the last 20+ years.

Now - that can change. It may change. But, until it does change, I suggest that Gopher fans worry more about the Gophers, and worry less about Wisconsin.
I would say that the writer of the article, and not Gopher fans, is the one worrying about wisconsin. But thank you so much for telling us how to think.

Bingo.

Not true...it starts with support and money. Great coaches don't come to crappy programs...just look at our last 8 or so coaches. But once the stadium got build, the athletes village got started and the U finally is paying a fair wage for coaches...we miraculously got our man.

Coaches can come and go, but we need, as you say, support and stability from top-to-bottom. I think Fleck can do (and I thought Kill could do it), but the musical chairs in the administration we've had over the past couple of decades and the yo-yoing of financial support has made it impossible to get a lasting foundation built. I think what Kill did was nothing short of miraculous given how he came into the job and how the AD situation flipped during his tenure. Hopefully, the folks above Fleck will give him the financial and institutional support to bring us to the next level (which I think a healthy Kill could have done as well). But, and I have said this in other threads, everyone now needs to quit meddling and let Fleck do his job (within the requirements that have likely been laid out for him).

It takes more than a great coach to make a great program. Hopefully the U continues its financial commitments and support.

Bingo! For too long the Admin. at the UofM wasn't committed to building the foundation and paying the price to have elite football and basketball programs. Maybe, we have finally turned the corner.

1) Hire Fleck
2)
3) National Championships

Can anyone remember step 2?

Maybe so, but I don't aspire to be like the Badgers. I want to exceed what they've accomplished (again, like the Gophers have done in the past).

Exactly. In truth, Wisconsin is trying to become a Minnesota-like program: trying to finally win a national title.

Alvarez.

So who the F@$k has been worrying about Sconny? Did you just use the mention of Sconny in a tread to try and educate us on the recent success they have had (which has finally dug them out of a hole to even up the head to head series)?

Oh and by the way, we can bad mouth those drunken idiots as much as we want!

Another little fact, since 1993 the Badger have won ZERO national championships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So who the F@$k has been worrying about Sconny? Did you just use the mention of Sconny in a tread to try and educate us on the recent success they have had (which has finally dug them out of a hole to even up the head to head series)?

Oh and by the way, we can bad mouth those drunken idiots as much as we want!

Another little fact, since 1993 the Badger have won ZERO national championships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent? Chill out. I want Gophs to beat them as bad as anybody but to call the consistency they've produced in the last 24 years in this hyper-competitive environment recent makes you sound pretty dopey and bitter.

Top Bottom