Athletic 7-Round Draft

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
Wasn’t behind paywall when I read it, but seems to have resurrected the paywall when posted here. Anyway … The Athletic’s view: NWern with 2 first round picks (how can Fitz’s team suck so badly?). JMS middle of second round. T-Time fourth round. Chase Brown and Evan Hull in fifth round. Jordan Howden near the bottom of round seven. No sightings of Mo, Filiaga, MSM, Rush, Ruschmeyer. There is a lot of talent out there; not everyone can’t get drafted. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

JMS is a no-brainer draft pick. Highly likely Smith is drafted. Iffy on Howard and Mo! Mo might be better off as a udfa because I think many teams would love to bring him in for a workout. He can then choose a situation where he has the best chance of succeeding imo!

JMS is a no-brainer draft pick. Highly likely Smith is drafted. Iffy on Howard and Mo! Mo might be better off as a udfa because I think many teams would love to bring him in for a workout. He can then choose a situation where he has the best chance of succeeding imo!
Hey Mo, the vikings are going to be without Dalvin Cook.

Maybe you could get a carry every so often here.

The crowd would go nuts at a Viking home game.

Wasn’t t behind paywall when I read it, but seems to have resurrected the paywall when posted here. Anyway … The Athletic’s view: NWern with 2 first round picks (how can Fitz’s team suck so badly?). JMS middle of second round. T-Time fourth round. Chase Brown and Evan Hull in fifth round. Jordan Howden near the bottom of round seven. No sightings of Mo, Filiaga, MSM, Rush, Ruschmeyer. There is a lot of talent out there; not everyone can’t get drafted. 🤷🏼‍♂️

In regards to Northwestern - you can have a couple great individual players but if you aren't able to surround them with enough other talented players you can still suck. :)

In regards to our guys - JMS and Smith seem to be the 2 locks to get drafted. After that it will depend on team needs and if someone decides to spend a pick on Howden or Mo. We should have a number of guys get a chance to go the UDFA route including Morgan who was not listed above.

Will be interesting as always to see how many of them can find their way onto rosters. The more former Gophers in the pros the better.

Chase Brown and Evan Hull (both projected as fifth rounders in the author’s opinion) probably have better physical “measurables” than Mo. But each of them were also deployed as a part of their team’s passing game. Got to show their ability to catch and go. I wonder if Mo would have a higher profile for the NFL if we had passed the him out if the backfield as part of our offensive scheme. Simple swing passes. Could have shown that he had some diversity of talent? 🤷🏼‍♂️

In regards to Northwestern - you can have a couple great individual players but if you aren't able to surround them with enough other talented players you can still suck. :)

In regards to our guys - JMS and Smith seem to be the 2 locks to get drafted. After that it will depend on team needs and if someone decides to spend a pick on Howden or Mo. We should have a number of guys get a chance to go the UDFA route including Morgan who was not listed above.

Will be interesting as always to see how many of them can find their way onto rosters. The more former Gophers in the pros the better.
Ko Kieft was drafted and it even surprised him. Mo still has a chance. Never say never.

FWIW Kiper has lists by position:

Morgan outside his top 30 but in “best of the rest”
JMS #1
Filiaga (best of the rest)
Mo #21
Smith #14
Howden #13

Top Bottom