Athan Kaliakmanis struggles?

Doesn’t change anything for me going forward.

Though I’m sure if he’s healthy that Fleck will start Tanner.

Success versus Iowa hinges on defense, not turning it over, and hoping the ball bounces the right way, ie the opposite of 2021. MN is not Ohio State in terms of playmakers. I don’t think Athan’s marginally better running ability versus Morgan offsets a hypothetically increased risk of turnovers if MN has to put the ball in the air.

Let me have it.

Success versus Iowa hinges on defense, not turning it over, and hoping the ball bounces the right way, ie the opposite of 2021. MN is not Ohio State in terms of playmakers. I don’t think Athan’s marginally better running ability versus Morgan offsets a hypothetically increased risk of turnovers if MN has to put the ball in the air.

Let me have it.
Iowa was held to 146 yards today… and won 24-10.
They FEAST on turnovers which has how they’ve won their games this year. Don’t give them short fields and they won’t score many points.

If he can work out the kinks while Mo lets the team cruise to victory, that's fine by me. Coaching staff will have a tough call to make this week, especially with the West back in play. Do you go with the experienced guy who should make fewer mistakes, or the guy who might provide additional threats but is unproved in big games?

It's almost like he's a Redshirt Freshman WB with little meaningful playing time outside his 2 starts.....

I had no real concerns with what I saw, at all. The more reps he gets, the more he will settle in.
Agree. He needs reps. ...was he "off" in the first half? Yes. But so what? He's a freshman with very little playing time, and he's trying to manage a lot of things. Let's cut him some slack and get him ready for next year. Which is not to say that I think he can't beat Iowa or Wisconsin. I think he can. Although Iowa will be tough sledding - great defense. ...We need to unleash "wrinkles" for Iowa.

Now, I can't be the only one thinking about year after next? Athan fully in his prime; Zach Evan and Ike White with a year under their belts? Chili is hot!

I disagree. Iowa’s defense is really good. Having a guy that can move around a bit is better than a guy that can’t.
Beat me to it.

I thought about this for a minute. Iowa's defense might be blitz heavy and all around the line of scrimmage... having a qb that can scramble could make the difference.

I didn't see any struggles. I don't think Tanner puts up better numbers today with that play calling.

Agree. He needs reps. ...was he "off" in the first half? Yes. But so what? He's a freshman with very little playing time, and he's trying to manage a lot of things. Let's cut him some slack and get him ready for next year. Which is not to say that I think he can't beat Iowa or Wisconsin. I think he can. Although Iowa will be tough sledding - great defense. ...We need to unleash "wrinkles" for Iowa.

Now, I can't be the only one thinking about year after next? Athan fully in his prime; Zach Evan and Ike White with a year under their belts? Chili is hot!
Was he way off? I might be missing something, but I can't think of any missed plays by Athan.

Mentioned to DarrenTheGreek at halftime we were going to have some QB growing pains. Not a surprise and if Tanner is ready, he should get the first shot. However, if we're struggling then Athan should get a shot too.

What I did like was that Wright was seeing the field and that Athan was targeting him. That offered, I was disappointed that Athan's timing was off and when it finally clicked Wright got hit and fumbled. I hope Dylan sticks around as I still think he has potential.

Was he way off? I might be missing something, but I can't think of any missed plays by Athan.
I'm watching the first half on the DVR right now and he's had some brutal throws up to this point (2/7 for 13 yards at this point of the game). And he wasn't really under terrible pressure on those misses. Maybe he gets better as the game goes on?

He’s doing fine if PJ would take the reins off him a little bit he would look a lot better he could’ve run for 150 yards today along with Mo.

He was off but certainly think he could play a good game vs Iowa. It was maybe a probably with gripping the ball in the cold weather?
The threat of him running on RPO is a bigger advantage than Tanner possibly being more accurate with his passing.
That's what I was thinking. Seemed like throws were slipping out of his hand.

I don't see this team beating Iowa or Wisconsin with AK behind center. I could be wrong, hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it. There's certainly a chance they went uber vanilla today against Northwestern, I'm sure they did to some extent, but I have to admit I'm concerned about the next couple weeks

I don't see this team beating Iowa or Wisconsin with AK behind center. I could be wrong, hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it. There's certainly a chance they went uber vanilla today against Northwestern, I'm sure they did to some extent, but I have to admit I'm concerned about the next couple weeks
If only we had a good defense to help us compete with those teams.

Curious what exactly you have seen from the 5-5 Badgers that scares you. These next two are very winnable if we take care of the football.

I’m going to need more of a sample size before I buy into this idea that Athan will be more turnover prone than Tanner vs Iowa. I don’t think that’s a fair assumption.

Top Bottom