Athan Kaliakmanis struggles?

This is some interesting logic. Do you have reason to believe that Morgan is more likely to become unhealthy than Kaliakmanis?

All Big Ten games are tough for everyone, and Morgan has endured his share.

Why would I start Morgan? In a tough game, there is value in experience, which something that Morgan has tons of and Kaliakmanis does not.
Yeah I want a win… Morgan’s experience seems better in that regard.

Granted I don’t know his health situation.

Just about any first year quarterback will stumble from time to time. Its expected until the game slows down for him. The only freshman I ever saw that didn't was Doug Flutie, but he was sort a different from the others. Athan will be fine. If he's pressed into service they'll scale back the offense just a tiny bit, but it'll be that kind of game anyways

This is some interesting logic. Do you have reason to believe that Morgan is more likely to become unhealthy than Kaliakmanis?

All Big Ten games are tough for everyone, and Morgan has endured his share.

Why would I start Morgan? In a tough game, there is value in experience, which something that Morgan has tons of and Kaliakmanis does not.
I'd agree Morgan's experience is a positive in this game, but assuming his injury in the Nebraska game was another concussion I don't see him coming back for the last 2 games this year.

AK's passing last game worries me but honestly I think he still might be the better choice for Iowa. We will need to take deep shots and challenge their defensive backs. If he throws an int on a 50 yard pass into their own territory who cares. Make them drive the length of the field and trust your defense.

I think I trust AK more in the pocket than I do Morgan. Fumbling in the pocket is something I worry less about when AK can scramble like he can.

AK has a stronger arm than Morgan - but at this point in their respective careers, I think it's fair to say that Morgan is the more accurate passer, especially on some of the shorter and intermediate routes that require more 'touch.'

But, AK is much more mobile. he can scramble to prolong a play or run for positive yardage

So, if both are healthy, do you value Morgan's accuracy and leadership more than AK's physical advantages?

If pressed - and IF Morgan is 100% healthy, I would go with Morgan against one of the toughest defenses that MN will face this season. But I would reserve the right to use AK in certain packages - let him be the 'Wildcat" QB.
I would value Morgan's short range accuracy highest if our offensive line had turned out to be as good as forecast. But with the line we actually have I value AK's skills higher against the Iowa defense.

Top Bottom