Athan Kaliakmanis leads Gophers to 20-13 win over Nebraska - Twincities.com

Iceland12

Reaction score
"Nebraska were forced to rotate first. With No. 1 quarterback Casey Thompson ruled out in pregame with numbness in his throwing hand, backup Chubba Purdy started at Memorial Stadium.

At the end of the first half, Minnesota quarterback Tanner Morgan suffered an “upper-body” injury, according to head coach P.J. Fleck. He was sacked hard on the last play of the second quarter, was slow to get up and, in the locker room, Minnesota’s medical staff ruled him out.

Backup Athan Kaliakmanis started the second half and helped lead Minnesota to a 20-13 comeback win.

Morgan went 6 for 8 for 38 yards, with no touchdowns, no interceptions and was sacked three times. Kaliakmanis went 6 for 12 for 137 yards with no TDs, INTs or sacks..

Kaliakmanis credited the veterans around him.

“When I feel like I have a guy like Tanner Morgan able to teach me every day and learn from him,” Kaliakmanis said. “And have an All-American running back (Mo Ibrahim), a center like John Michael (Schmitz), guys like that, what is there to freeze over?”

When an opposing Big Ten starting quarterback has come into Gophers week with an injury this season, he has ended up starting against Minnesota. In October, Purdue QB Aidan O’Connell (ankle), Illinois’ Tommy DeVito (ankle) and Penn State’s Sean Clifford (shoulder) each returned and went on to beat Minnesota.."

Top Bottom