Athan: I love this culture. I love this team. I can’t wait to get after it this off-season with the guys!

His HS coach told our group at the bowl game that KC almost left for Rutgers three weeks ago. AK came to the U because of Kirk and if he left there is possibility he follows him. This is not over by any means.
It never even began. There’s zero chance he goes to Rutgers.

It’s 100% accurate. Kirk was the main recruiter for him

As I mentioned, Kirk certainly played a key role in Athan's commitment.

That said, if Kirk was the reason Athan came to Minnesota (as was suggested), don't you think its kind of weird Athan still came to Minnesota knowing full well that Kirk was NOT even here when it was time to sign and enroll? I would think if KC was THE reason, then Athan would have taken his skillset elsewhere. When all was said and done, it was much more than solely KC's early involvement in Athan's recruitment that got Athan to be a Gopher. That, I can tell you, is 100% accurate.

He is Kirks guy

Kind of crappy for KC to leave "his guy" behind for a second time before "his guy" is a redshirt sophomore.

Last edited:

His HS coach told our group at the bowl game that KC almost left for Rutgers three weeks ago. AK came to the U because of Kirk and if he left there is possibility he follows him. This is not over by any means.
Why wouldn't you have posted this after after the bowl game?

Seems like you couldn't be more wrong here.

Even without Athan's tweet, you think he is going to give up a clear path to starting the next 3 years for a P5 program that has been winning 9 games a year in one of the clear two best conferences in America? There are only a handful of programs out there with a better opportunity available.

That said, if Kirk was the reason Athan came to Minnesota (as was suggested), don't you think its kind of weird Athan still came to Minnesota knowing full well that Kirk was NOT even here when it was time to sign and enroll? I would think if KC was THE reason, then Athan would have taken his skillset elsewhere. When all was said and done, it was much more than solely KC's early involvement in Athan's recruitment that got Athan to be a Gopher. That, I can tell you, is 100% accurate.

Kind of crappy for KC to leave "his guy" behind for a second time before "his guy" is a redshirt sophomore.

It is amazing how often BS secondhand info falls apart if you just take timelines into account...

Sanford was Knuth’s guy and Kirk was AK’s. AK honored his commitment here, but was thrilled when KC came back. I rarely have inside info on the squad but I do on this one.

It is amazing how often BS secondhand info falls apart if you just take timelines into account...
And I recall you saying you are the antithesis of a smartest guy in the room type awhile back. I have just glossed over about 25 posts that would say otherwise. A little self awareness would be helpful, squid.

Sanford was Knuth’s guy and Kirk was AK’s. AK honored his commitment here, but was thrilled when KC came back. I rarely have inside info on the squad but I do on this one.

All of that is true. Never said it wasn't.

I'm only refuting the idea that Athan came to Minnesota because of KC. KC was a key part of it early, absolutely helped secure the early commitment. But, much work had to be done after KC left to keep "Kirk's guy" on track to be a Gopher. After KC bailed, someone at Minnesota had to fend off other suiters and schools to get Athan to sign with the Gophers and eventually play for the Gophers and it 100% was not KC doing that. Ultimately, there were many, many reasons Athan chose Minnesota in addition to KC.

Last edited:

A QB prospect who came from a gun-slinging high school program (I think?) was thrilled to be in an RPO, heavy zone run scheme, coached by a former DB who never played QB in his life?

Hmm. That's a tough one to swallow.

Regardless, if that's true, then he must be equally thrilled to have Simon take over that role.

All of that is true. Never said it wasn't.

I'm only refuting the idea that Athan came to Minnesota because of KC. KC was a key part of it early, absolutely helped secure the early commitment. But, much work had to be done after KC left to keep "Kirk's guy" on track to be a Gopher. After KC bailed, someone at Minnesota had to fend off other suiters and schools to get Athan to sign with the Gophers and eventually play for the Gophers and it 100% was not KC doing that. Ultimately, there were many, many reasons Athan chose Minnesota in addition to KC.
Also, there should be zero doubt that Athan had a scholarship waiting for him at Penn State, if this is all true.

Obviously it's great that he honored his commitment to our school. But to me, that speaks more to PJ Fleck being his primary recruiting, the whole time, than anything.

Fleck is from Chicagoland, like AK.

It’s 100% accurate. Kirk was the main recruiter for him and he is Kirks guy.
Yes, according to 247 this is all true. Kirk Ciarrocca and Brian Callahan are listed as the primary recruiters of Athan. AK was offered in January of 2019, took a couple of unofficial visits in Feb. and March of that year, and then committed on March 27, 2019. Kirk Ciarrocca left Minnesota in December of 2019.
So, you appear to be correct...AK may be KC's guy, but the big question is, is AK a KC guy? After KC left Minnesota for PSU, there is no other info. about AK having any contact with KC, or PSU. AK had well over a year to jump ship and never did. Maybe he's more of a boat-rower guy now?...Who knows?

See Athans comment on the Instagram post announcing the co-OCs:

I take it to mean he is happy with the decision, I don't think we have to worry about him leaving at this point.

A large factor in his decision was the fact Minnesota gave his Irish twin a scholarship to play with him, the parents could watch both kids. The 2021 QB for Penn was from Ontario, he held himself back a year, I think he is third string at this time.

A large factor in his decision was the fact Minnesota gave his Irish twin a scholarship to play with him, the parents could watch both kids. The 2021 QB for Penn was from Ontario, he held himself back a year, I think he is third string at this time.
Dino did have 4 other D1 offers so it's not like it was that big of a stretch for the Gophers to offer.

L
Yes, according to 247 this is all true. Kirk Ciarrocca and Brian Callahan are listed as the primary recruiters of Athan. AK was offered in January of 2019, took a couple of unofficial visits in Feb. and March of that year, and then committed on March 27, 2019. Kirk Ciarrocca left Minnesota in December of 2019.
So, you appear to be correct...AK may be KC's guy, but the big question is, is AK a KC guy? After KC left Minnesota for PSU, there is no other info. about AK having any contact with KC, or PSU. AK had well over a year to jump ship and never did. Maybe he's more of a boat-rower guy now?...Who knows?
What about Run DMC and KFC?

I think Vic Viramontes was KC's guy

Top Bottom