Athan grew up a lot today

U2Gopher

Reaction score
Nice job by Athan and hats off to Fleck and KC for trusting him to make plays. Just wish that was done last week.

Also, shout out to Brockington. I said in a post earlier this season that he has real potential. He’s got speed and that play is a nice snapshot of what is to come.

Jackson and BSF had clutch catches.

Also, Wright had his best game as a Gopher. Great job young man!!

Great game Gophers!!

Last edited:

Nice job by Athan and hats off to Fleck and KC for trusting him to make plays. Just wish that was done last week.

Also, shout out to Brockington. I said in a post earlier this season that he has real potential. He’s got speed and that play is a nice snapshot of what is to come.

Great game Gophers!!
Finally he had his chances and made the breakout. This is very good news for the future.

If he can play close to that well every week then the Gophers will be in good hands next year.

Couple absolute dimes on deep balls and limited the sailed passes over the middle today.

Last edited:

Great game Gophers!!
Jackson too!

I will never understand the problems people were having with AK up to this game. He had no fear and looked fairly good in his first start at PSU. They protected him that game. He came in the second half against Nebraska and totally changed the game for the win.

He was only allowed to throw it it about 12 times against Iowa, and the one time we scored a td was when they cut him loose.

I've liked what I've seen from the start. I don't get what there wasn't to like before today.

After this game I am looking forward to next year. AK will most likely get all the first team snaps this offseason and will return much improved.

He played really, really great. Didn't force anything too and ball security is job #1. I don't think Morgan wins this game, especially after WI started rolling in the 3rd. I am so used to the 4th Q meltdown that I still can't believe we actually won. For the first time in recent memory, we didn't pull a Minnesota and somehow find a way to lose up 7 with under 2 minutes and a 2nd string QB in against us. I have a better feeling about next year now.

He had some gambling passes but was also a legitimate threat.

He did very well. Night and day compared to previous games.

He played really, really great. Didn't force anything too and ball security is job #1. I don't think Morgan wins this game, especially after WI started rolling in the 3rd. I am so used to the 4th Q meltdown that I still can't believe we actually won. For the first time in recent memory, we didn't pull a Minnesota and somehow find a way to lose up 7 with under 2 minutes and a 2nd string QB in against us. I have a better feeling about next year now.
He had lots of help. Receivers stepped up big time and made throws that Tanner wouldn't. Plus his feet helped.

Next year with no Mo, I think they have to open things up. we saw glimpses today of what that could look like. And Athan has more to provide in the running game.

the biggest IF on offense will be the O-line - replacing Schmitz and both starting OG's. Maybe put Lewis at RT and slide Carroll inside to guard?

I will never understand the problems people were having with AK up to this game. He had no fear and looked fairly good in his first start at PSU. They protected him that game. He came in the second half against Nebraska and totally changed the game for the win.

He was only allowed to throw it it about 12 times against Iowa, and the one time we scored a td was when they cut him loose.

I've liked what I've seen from the start. I don't get what there wasn't to like before today.

Well I will say previously he looked like he was reacting a second late on plays. That is to be expected he has very little experience. A slight hesitation can be the difference on some of those throws.

Today, from the word jump he looked like he knew what was happening and how things would unfold. He had that nice run on the first drive and his PA passing and utilizing BSF and other receivers just clicked more. He was in the flow, not reacting if that makes sense?

I never had a problem with him (I am glad he played actually because we needed to see what we have) I just think the game slowed down for him a bit today.

Next year with no Mo, I think they have to open things up. we saw glimpses today of what that could look like. And Athan has more to provide in the running game.

the biggest IF on offense will be the O-line - replacing Schmitz and both starting OG's. Maybe put Lewis at RT and slide Carroll inside to guard?
I worry already about what kind of offensive line we will have. We don't want AK getting killed back there.

Well and that schedule!

He had lots of help. Receivers stepped up big time and made throws that Tanner wouldn't. Plus his feet helped.
This is very true. They seem to have a bit more confidence that if he throws to them he will give them a chance to make a play. He threw a couple of them open too from what I saw.

If Jackson can stay healthy I think our WR corp could be pretty good next year which I didn't think even a couple weeks ago.

I worry already about what kind of offensive line we will have. We don't want AK getting killed back there.
The ability to actually pass will keep the pass rush honest as well as open things up for the run game - vs. what we had to do this year and last. I don't know if our issue this year was talent, coaching, scheming, etc - but, today looked like a completely different team. Given WI playing the run tough, I think with Morgan we would have gone into a shell and lost close vs. being able to go out there and take the win.

The thread title is perfect. Athan grew up today and it felt like things really clicked for him. He hasn't looked overwhelmed in any of his starts but he made some next level throws tonight when the team needed him.

We got a glimpse of what 2023 could look like and it looked pretty damn promising. Way to go young man!

I really hope Wright stays a Gopher. He and AK have some chemistry. The receiver corps could take a step forward next year if CrAB returns, Jackson and Wright as the top 3.

Edit add: I forgot Brockington. The true freshman started to come on strong later in the season.

Last edited:

Bobos.

I think this kid has NFL level talent. Big arm, great size and he can move. Doing that in Camp Randall today as a freshman with a bad receiving group is special.

I really hope Wright stays a Gopher. He and AK have some chemistry. The receiver corps could take a step forward next year if CrAB returns, Jackson and Wright as the top 3.
There is no if. CRAB said he is coming back and he will be a slam dunk to get a waiver.

Top Bottom