At what point would you say, Brewster deserves another year?

Reaction score
I am as disappointed as the next guy. I was just wondering how everyone would feel about the coaching staff if we actually win a couple of games. For example, what if we would lose to Northwestern, but beat Iowa or Wisconsin.

If we go 5-3 with victories over Iowa and Wisconsin, and then win our bowl game, I'll *think* about it.

Losing one bad non-conference game every 3-5years is excusable. Two in 3 weeks has left a bad taste in my mouth.

I think with a winning BigTen record would he should be allowed to remain as coach.

If we go 5-3 with victories over Iowa and Wisconsin, and then win our bowl game, I'll *think* about it.

Decide before the season is over. I don't want to stare down the barrel of another post-bowl hiring.

It wouldn't go post bowl. Except for maybe the announcment.

The rules are the same as it was, if at the end of the season the admin thinks the program is better he stays, if not he's gone. It's just becoming more likely that he's gone with every loss.

If we look great at the end of the season I don't think Maturi of Bruinicks will give a rats ass about the beginning of this season.

However it's starting to look very unlikely we're ever going to look great.

A winning BigTen Record would erase two negative trends with Brewster. The first being the last 3 weeks. The second would the team's history looking worse as the season progresses.

4-4 in a way that makes fans feel good about the Gopers might do it for me. That would exclude any losses that I would define as humiliating.

5-3 would almost surely get him another year and I would be okay with that.

Personally, I think our Gophers will be lucky to win 2 or 3 BT games, so no one will have to wrestle with whether to keep him or not.

I agree that he will be renewed with a record of 6-6 or better, but that means at least 5-3 in conference and I don't see it happening.

Remaining games:
Northwestern
Wisconsin (Away)
Purdue (Away)
Penn State
Ohio State
MSU (Away)
Illinois (Away)
Iowa

Small-to-No chance at winning:
Wisconsin (Tough to beat a top 15 team on the road, especially when it is a rivalry game)
Ohio State (Pryor is the man, and the team is loaded)
MSU (They are on the rise, and it is going to be a tough game in EL)
Iowa (I don't see the gopher's offense doing much against Pigeyes defense)

Tough, But Winnable:
Penn State

Winnable, but No Guarantee:
Purdue
Illinois
Northwestern

I don't think there is a single cakewalk game for the Gophers this year. I think they will beat Purdue and Illinois, but I am not even sure I would want to bet on that. The best I see is 3-5, but I would probably pick 2-6 or 1-7...

Two years is enough to know

I was listening to some football talking head the other day. He was talking about when great teams with down years fire their coaches. 2 years. Great football programs know early when it isn't happening. Three years was the outside of top 25 programs. All others apparently use a more patient approach. Once again, I was wrong for supporting Brewster this far. There will be no evidence of improvement on Saturday. Unless Troy S comes up with a couple of picks for TDs. Not convinced.

Could we keep him until after signing day and then fire him? We would not lose a year of recruiting.

I'm guessing the NCAA would be granting waivers to any player who wanted out of their LOI. That plus the fact that it makes the U look super shady. And the fact that all the good candidates would be gone. I'm sure others can come up with additional reasons why this would be a bad idea.

Great football teams fire coaches before the backwards slide. That was 40 plus years ago for the U. To build a program takes 3-5 years, that is why it is longer time period for schools looking to ascend to the top of the heap.

I just know what most recruiting classes look like after a coaching change. Unless we can get a can't miss type of coach.

The way things are going right now, nothing. If he doesn't shake up the personnel he's toast. They only way I see him staying is if he changes QBs and plays Kirkwood more while actually seeing improvement from some of the young players on defense. Constant and steady improvement throughout the season. In short, it won't happen. So really, this is a moot point.

I backed Brewster for quite a while. I thought he'd be able to bring in the talent and hire the right coaches to help coach up the team. His hires have been suspect at best and my optimism clouded my judgement at the time and allowed hope into the equation. Unless he shakes things up in a serious way, it's over for Brewster at Minnesota. And so far his willingness to shake things up is comparable to Amy Winehouse's willingness to quit drugs and pack on a few pounds.

For Brewster to stick around, it would take the following:

1) Vastly improved QB play. Fewer INTs, More TDs earlier in the game.
2) Vastly improved Defensive play. Not giving up runs of 20+ yards 4-5 times per game.
3) A kicker who hits 100% of his FGs and PATs and puts the ball inside the 5 yard line on every kickoff.
4) Wins over Wisconsin and Iowa.

I am hoping for one big upset. One of the teams might play flat and expect an easy victory. Otherwise we will be lucky to win, one or two.

If we win homecoming this week...and beat Ill and IA at the end of the season...he stays...no question about it...regardless of how he does inbetween...unless we lose those games by an average of 20+...that said...I don't want a coaching change and I hope this teams gets it going.

If we win homecoming this week...and beat Ill and IA at the end of the season...he stays...no question about it...regardless of how he does inbetween...unless we lose those games by an average of 20+...that said...I don't want a coaching change and I hope this teams gets it going.

4 wins? that's enough?

Top Bottom