Assuming there is an East/West split

Rosemountian

Reaction score
Would you be able to bring yourself to cheer for a WI/IA in the conference title game?
I don't know if I would be able to.

Does cheering for injuries count?

No...I couldn't do that, but I could hope that at least one of them gets embarrassed.

Are you thinking you'll be supporting our half of the conference in the championship games?
I don't think I'd support either of those teams in an inter-conference game, until we get Notre Dame.

I've thought about that myself. A part of me would want to pull for the region... but I think hatred of rivals would overcome it.

Granted, I don't have any ill will toward Nebraska yet. All the same, I wouldn't want them to win a conference championship until after the Gophers have.

Northwestern. If they make it, I'll pull for them.

Only if it were against Michigan. I don't really care for them.

Now that it's come up, this actually presents an interesting argument against splitting the divisions strictly on geographic/rivalry lines.

If OSU, Michigan and PSU end up in the same division, there's no doubt in my mind that our division (us, wi, iowa, Nebraska et al) would be viewed as the weaker half of the Big Ten. I'm pretty sure that would lead to more divisional loyalty than I'm ready for. I hate to think that in the future, I'll regularly be rooting for the hawkeyes or badgers to win the conference.

I would probably pull for the division. I had little trouble rooting for other Big Ten teams this year in the bowl games. I expect I'd feel the same way. I also suspect that I'd feel we need to vindicate the west in the first ten years to keep them from changing the alignments.

Sadly, I don't think we're going to get an East / West.

I've thought about that myself. A part of me would want to pull for the region... but I think hatred of rivals would overcome it.

Granted, I don't have any ill will toward Nebraska yet. All the same, I wouldn't want them to win a conference championship until after the Gophers have.

Northwestern. If they make it, I'll pull for them.

Give it time and you will have Nebraska in the same mold as the pig eyes.

Top Bottom