Associated Press: College basketball 'is brutal to watch right now'

I hate teams that pass the ball around the arc and wait until the final 8 seconds to think about trying to get a shot off. This is really what is ruining the game. My proposal is both original and radical. My proposal would keep the 35 second shot clock with a few caveats to encourage a faster pace of play.

Baskets scored under the first 10 seconds of the shot clock would have an additional point added. So a steal and a layup would essentially be a 3 point play. If you stole the ball and fired a quick 3, you could get a 4 point play. This would also help teams coming from behind.

Baskets scored between 10 seconds and 25 would be normal face value.

Baskets scored in the final 10 seconds of the shot clock would have reduced value by 1 point. So a Mike Bruisewisz 3 at the shot clock buzzer would only be worth 2.

This would probably serve to get teams moving and thinking about scoring faster. It would also create an interesting scenario in those end of game situations with the leading team having to decide to either go for a faster, full valued bucket or kill more clock and take a reduced value bucket. I know it will never happen but I would love to see this. And perhaps a variation of this is more realistic by penalizing teams scoring in the final 5 seconds of the shot clock. Whatever it takes to get the ball moving to the basket!

I hate teams that pass the ball around the arc and wait until the final 8 seconds to think about trying to get a shot off. This is really what is ruining the game. My proposal is both original and radical. My proposal would keep the 35 second shot clock with a few caveats to encourage a faster pace of play.

Baskets scored under the first 10 seconds of the shot clock would have an additional point added. So a steal and a layup would essentially be a 3 point play. If you stole the ball and fired a quick 3, you could get a 4 point play. This would also help teams coming from behind.

Baskets scored between 10 seconds and 25 would be normal face value.

Baskets scored in the final 10 seconds of the shot clock would have reduced value by 1 point. So a Mike Bruisewisz 3 at the shot clock buzzer would only be worth 2.

This would probably serve to get teams moving and thinking about scoring faster. It would also create an interesting scenario in those end of game situations with the leading team having to decide to either go for a faster, full valued bucket or kill more clock and take a reduced value bucket. I know it will never happen but I would love to see this. And perhaps a variation of this is more realistic by penalizing teams scoring in the final 5 seconds of the shot clock. Whatever it takes to get the ball moving to the basket!

Sounds like Fizbin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v77SF4TFUoM

Seriously though, think about how much controversy there can be around a potential buzzer beater and whether the shot beat it, can you imagine if we were having a shot evaluated for when it went off in the shot clock every possession?

Under my proposal there would be no stoppages until the final 1 minute of the game. All controversial shots would be reviewed during TV timeouts.

What's sad is that teams ran up and down the court when there was a 45 second shot clock. How many ppg would LMU or UNLV average with a 35 second shot clock?

Are the coaches in the B1G complaining? I officials do hat the coaches want. B1G coaches like th physical play. Bilas is correct, they need the officials to enforce what is actually in th rule book and consistently. NCAA football has worked very hard to become uniform in interpretations. The MSHSL has worked hard to take a lot of the clutching and grabbing out of the game, but level of play and officiating in the metro and out state affects implementation.

In the end, widening the lane and officiating will solve the problem. Players adjust and the officials can dictate play in first four minutes of he game by making correct calls.

Northwestern scoring 12 points in the first half probably will not change the writer's opinion.

Top Bottom