As if the "smurf turf" weren't bad enough...

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
Here are Boise State's new uniforms:

YVSQDFPRPSKOXMY.20090601151425.jpg

It will be like playing "where's waldo" with eleven guys.

I would hate to be a visiting quarterback there. With those uniforms and that field color, it's like the d-backs are camouflaged. It would be tempting to complain if you was visiting coach that liked to stir the pot.

I despise that dumb blue field so much (and now their ugly uniforms), it has caused me to really dislike that whole team. I'll often route for the smaller school, but not these guys (unless they are playing Wisconsin or Notre Dame).

I love the program those guys have and think what they've pulled off is nothing short of a marketing miracle. Talk about turning lemons into lemonade. They've established a unique identity with that smurf turf, crazy uniforms, their own bowl game and have attracted very good players...black players...to Boise, Idaho. They've got a cult following in the four (?) state area. There's NOTHING for 8 hours in any direction of Boise so they're bigger than God not only on campus, in the state of Idaho but also in several neighboring states. You'd be hard pressed to find a program where the players are more BMOC. You can't get a ticket as I understand it. They have the very cool area where the students sit on the side of the mountain next to the stadium to watch the games (Think the rooftops accross from Wrigley) because tickets are always sold out. Talk about community/campus involved. Looks like a helluva party to me and something I might be interested in if I was a 3* recruit that wanted to be a big fish in a small pond and win a lot for 4-5 years.

I agree. Not every team is a Big 10 team or a SEC, ACC, PAC 10 team, etc. Never been to Idaho, but I believe that Boise makes the Fargo/Moorhead area look like Minneapolis/St. Paul. They need gimmicks like crazy uniforms, blue turf, etc. It has worked for them. They won a BCS game... when was our last BCS win?

They still suck. They play two games a year that mean anything, and they want to pretend like they have a Top 20 football program. Funny how much they have in common with Notre Dame.

BTW, the Oklahoma team they beat was a joke. They were there only because the Big 12 was crazy-weak that year.

They still suck. They play two games a year that mean anything, and they want to pretend like they have a Top 20 football program. Funny how much they have in common with Notre Dame.

BTW, the Oklahoma team they beat was a joke. They were there only because the Big 12 was crazy-weak that year.

That's an incredibly ill-informed comment.

It's not their fault they play in a weak conference. And they still do have to beat Nevada and Fresno St. every year, which they almost always manage to do.

They also have a very difficult time getting quality non-conference opponents, as no BCS teams want to travel to Boise to get smoked on the smurf turf.

Granted, that Oklahoma squad was not the greatest team ever, but they did have one of the greatest college RBs in history, not to mention a staff far more experienced with big games and pressure situations. And Boise St. still managed to beat them.

If Boise St. played Minnesota at TCF this year, they'd beat us by two TDs, minimum. Probably double that if played in Boise.

Seriously man, get a clue.

That's an incredibly ill-informed comment.

It's not their fault they play in a weak conference. And they still do have to beat Nevada and Fresno St. every year, which they almost always manage to do.

They also have a very difficult time getting quality non-conference opponents, as no BCS teams want to travel to Boise to get smoked on the smurf turf.

Seriously man, get a clue.

Thanks. But I have a clue. I watched them play three times last year. They were about as good as Illinois who was not even bowl-eligible.

Boise State makes ridiculous demands in their OOC scheduling. Then they claim "It's not our fault no one will play us. We're winning with the scdule we have. The BCS is crap if it doesn't let us in!"

It used to be that start-ups would hit the road to gain respect. These turds want to sit at home every year in blue cammo and play the worst teams that call themselves D-1 (oh.. and ONE Pac Ten team to avoids being too obvious about it).

Do you really think they would even agree to play a home-and-home with Minnesota? They're willing to play one BCS-conference opponent per year.

Thanks. But I have a clue. I watched them play three times last year. They were about as good as Illinois who was not even bowl-eligible.

Boise State makes ridiculous demands in their OOC scheduling. Then they claim "It's not our fault no one will play us. We're winning with the scdule we have. The BCS is crap if it doesn't let us in!"

It used to be that start-ups would hit the road to gain respect. These turds want to sit at home every year in blue cammo and play the worst teams that call themselves D-1 (oh.. and ONE Pac Ten team to avoids being too obvious about it).

Do you really think they would even agree to play a home-and-home with Minnesota? Their willing to play one BCS-conference opponent per year. And it's going to be a Pac Ten team.

While they may play the PAC-10 more which is understandable for geographical reasons, Boise State has clearly shown that they are willing to play teams of other BCS conferences. Since 1997 they have played Wisconsin, Arkansas(twice), South Carolina, and Georgia.

I think it's cheating

Here are Boise State's new uniforms:

YVSQDFPRPSKOXMY.20090601151425.jpg

It will be like playing "where's waldo" with eleven guys.

I don't think that defenders will see runners and recievers as well, and the defense for BS can "lurk" easier.

Mostly, it's just stupid...

What Boise St is selling is mostly a gimmick and I have no illusions of them being a top-10 team.

That said, it looks like fun! As a small conference school located in a state with 3 black people you have to do something to get yourself noticed and make yourself attractive to recruits and they've mastered it.

The formula? 1) "Don't adjust your TV set" blue smurf turf 2) Create your own bowl game...and win it every year. Fans and recruits like to win, period. 3) Run a fun offense. Hook and ladders, flea flickers, statue of liberty, etc. 4) Make sure you're the only show in town. 5) Create some buzz claiming you should be National Champions.

If you play in a weak conference

You need to go anywhere to play a top 25 Team. That means going on the road to SEC, Big 12, Pac 10. And it means you play Florida, Texas, and USC. Now if you beat them you have the credentials to claim a Championship, if you don't your claim is as invalid as your turf and uniforms.

but I believe that Boise makes the Fargo/Moorhead area look like Minneapolis/St. Paul.

You're belief would be dead wrong. I live in the F-M area and it isn't even close to being as nice as Boise.

With several major corporations headquartered there (H-P, Simplot, several others), they have a lot of great cultural events and some of the best bars and eating establishments between Seattle and MSP.

You should check it out.

Top Bottom