Article on McDonald: Top prep prospect in Minnesota has options; says Iowa leads

From the article:

"After a visit to Iowa, the Hawkeyes now lead for his services but upcoming college visits are sure to complicate things."

http://www.kare11.com/sports/article/935883/24/States-top-prep-prospect-has-options

Go Gophers!!

maybe it is just me and my crazy conspiracy theories, but notice how this article is on that iowa transplant d bag randy shaver's website of kare 11? randy shaver is a tool and just another in a long line of hogeye and becky transplants to the great state of minnesota. he is a U of M hater. if mcdonald had nothing to do with iowa, i can almost guarantee an article about him isn't even published by kare 11 sports director, ioweee native d bag, and gopher hater randy shaver. the guy is as big of a jerk as jim souhan and reusse and often takes unwarranted cheaps shots at the U of M for no apparent reason. just really do not like the guy and never have.

okay....rant about d bag randy shaver over. :eek:

Nothing I said disagreed with this. I'm simply stating people act like "he's from MN, if he leaves here he's a traitor". They also act like this is some sort of simple decision to make.
From what I read it seems like he was really wow'd buy Kill in their talks and then made the commitment. I just wonder if after thinking about it for a while he said, "Hmm... maybe I should have seen how Kill does before I sign".

I think he still ends up comming here but thinks maybe he jumped to a conclusion too soon.
He probably shouldn't have committed at the point he did and I think if you commit you should stick too it but I can see why it happened.

No reason to pull an offer or hate the kid for God's sake.

It seems as though we fundamentally agree on everything, except that you think he should be free from reproach and I don't. We will likely never agree on that point, so can we just agree to leave it at that? Deal? :)

It seems as though we fundamentally agree on everything, except that you think he should be free from reproach and I don't. We will likely never agree on that point, so can we just agree to leave it at that? Deal? :)

I didn't say he shouldn't be criticized, he deservse to be criticized just let's not go overboard on it.

maybe it is just me and my crazy conspiracy theories, but notice how this article is on that iowa transplant d bag randy shaver's website of kare 11? randy shaver is a tool and just another in a long line of hogeye and becky transplants to the great state of minnesota. he is a U of M hater. if mcdonald had nothing to do with iowa, i can almost guarantee an article about him isn't even published by kare 11 sports director, ioweee native d bag, and gopher hater randy shaver. the guy is as big of a jerk as jim souhan and reusse and often takes unwarranted cheaps shots at the U of M for no apparent reason. just really do not like the guy and never have.

A$$man is an ISU grad, not U of Iowa. He's said repeatedly that he wants the U to do well in FB and has never once pledged his allegiance to the Hogeyes, unlike some of the people working the Gopher football radio broadcasts.

Shaver being a Cyclone would rather he went to MN.

We'll see how this one plays out.

I coach HS kids, they know alot more than people give them credit for.
I simply don't buy the excuse that he now needs to be sure.
He could have been sure and not committed until he was, he could have taken all of his visits, done all the camps he liked, gone all over the country to be sure. He already had offers from many Big Ten schools before he committed to Kill, including Iowa. Something else has happened since then, and it probably isn't a youthful epiphany.

I'm hopeful he'll take his time and not commit to ANY program until he's sure, if its Iowa, then I hope he never wins a game there. To be honest if its OSU or Vandy, etc I'm ok with that, but don't say the things he said about his home state and Coach Kill and the Gophers and the U, even so far as to recruit other players, then turn around and expect people to be ok with him playing for a bitter rival.

Come on. It is good for Shaver's ratings if the local teams do well. People will tune in more this fall if both the Vikes and Gophers are winning. So, I'm sure he'd love to see the Gophers win.

Phil Nelson seems to have the right perspective.

GH: I know that you and Andre McDonald are pretty tight and you had said that one of the main reasons you committed was to play with him. He has since backed off his commitment. Have you talked to him much?

PN: He is kind of fading away a little bit. I think that he just needs some space because he has a lot on his shoulders right now. I respect that. He needs to make sure that he makes the right decision for himself. . Whatever he wants, he wants. It is not going to kill us, if he doesn’t want to come. I’d rather have somebody who wants to be here.

A$$man is an ISU grad, not U of Iowa. He's said repeatedly that he wants the U to do well in FB and has never once pledged his allegiance to the Hogeyes, unlike some of the people working the Gopher football radio broadcasts.

never said he went to univ. of iowee. only said he was from iowee. he may have said that before, but i don't put a lot of stock in it or consider it to be very sincere as i have seen and heard him take more than his fair share of often unnecessary and unwarranted cheap shots at U of M athletics in the past.

I agree. Myself personally, I would be extremely enticed getting out of the state and doing my own thing at an established program. Not saying I would leave the state but I would very seriously consider it.

Yeah, but if I left the state just for the sake of leaving it, IOWA (aka Pigshltland) is one of the LAST f*#*ing places on earth anyone should want to go. McDonald should and will take a lot of grief if he ends up dissing the home team to go to a run-the-ball school like Iowa, who has no tradition of receivers and probably never will. If he really just wants to "get away", there are much better places to go...West Coast, East Coast, Rocky Mountains, or even just to be "different", go to the #($# SE US.

OMG, this is seriously ridiculous. The kid made a mistake. Period. Can we not give this a rest? Forgive him or don't, but there's no need to rehash the topic every couple weeks. The Gophers are still recruiting him hard, and nobody's offer is getting pulled. He will visit Vanderbilt and probably OSU. He'll choose a college in February and we can all love or hate him at that time. If he chooses UM, all will be forgiven. If he doesn't, he'll be called a traitor and soon forgotten.

Any high school kid is going to get excited about any college going after him. Who wouldn't. Kids change mind, give him some more time. Maybe his Iowa visit got him boosted. Give him a few more visits, he might change his mind again. Maybe the kid and family are taking advantage of this experience by seeing some schools, different areas of the country and enjoying the extra attention. Who knows, after that is all done...maybe he will come back home.

As I am sure you know, Shaver went to Iowa State, not Iowa. If there is one school that hates Iowa more than Minnesota hates Iowa, it is Iowa State. Calling him a hogeye transplant is not accurate. Want to say he is from Iowa, fine. But do not associate him with the hawkeyes.

Just to add some more murky water to the conversation - From Marcus Fuller's article in the PiPress:

"If the two click, it could help the Gophers lure the next prime target for Gray. The state's No. 1 prospect, four-star Hopkins receiver Andre McDonald, hasn't ruled out coming to Minnesota, even though he backed out of his early commitment to the Gophers to consider Ohio State, Iowa and Vanderbilt, as well.

McKnight is a senior this year, but Gray is a junior, meaning he could be throwing to McDonald in 2012.

"I was actually just thinking about that," McDonald said. "I think that would be pretty cool. I think it's going to be amazing to see how he adjusts to the position change at such a fast speed in college football.""

I think it's pretty cool too Andre - make it happen.

Top Bottom