Article: Hoese strives to be 240-pound fullback

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the McLeod County Chronicle:

Hoese strives to be 240-pound fullback
A COLUMN

by Lee Ostrom

During his final (2006-07) school year at Glencoe-Silver Lake, Jon Hoese amassed 2,386 yards of total offense and scored 30 touchdowns while helping the Panthers win a Class AAA state championship in football; come the spring, he was his section's champion sprinter at 100 meters, and he ran second leg on GSL's best-at-state 4x200-meter relay.

Not quite three months later, after being named outstanding offensive player for a victorious Outstate team at the 2007 Minnesota High School Coaches All-Star Game, Hoese walked on the University of Minnesota Gophers football team weighing 205 pounds.

Since then, he has become one of head coach Tim Brewster's big men.

Hoese, still a whisker short of his 20th birthday, now is a "true junior" at the U, weighing in at 235 pounds. Not only that, he has earned the right to wear a shirt that lists the numbers 330, 350 and 450 on the front and makes the statement IT'S A BIG MAN'S GAME on the back.

To qualify, Hoese had to meet Brewster's weightlifting specifications for big men at his fullback position: a power-clean lift of 330 pounds, a bench of 350 and a squat of 450.

Despite all the added muscle, Hoese says his 40-yard times are as fast as when he arrived in 2007. And he is not quite done getting bigger, either.

"They want me to be playing around 240 pounds," he says.

When the Gophers open their 2009 season at Syracuse on Sept. 5, and then christen the U's new on-campus stadium against Air Force on Saturday evening, Sept. 12, Hoese expects to be Minnesota's starting fullback.

Coming out of spring ball, where he was named Minnesota's most improved player on offense, Hoese topped the depth chart at his spot.

"It's going really, really well," he says, emphasizing how much he likes being back on offense - the side of the ball he played exclusively as a three-year regular at GSL.

Recall that when Hoese first walked on, Gophers coaches placed him with the defense, specifically at a strong safety. That is where he remained throughout his freshman season, when he saw most of his action while on special teams.

His transition back to offense, as a fullback, began in 2008 training camp. Eventually, Hoese would cap his sophomore season in the Arizona desert, scoring on two touchdown plunges - in his first three carries - at the 2008 Insight Bowl.

In his first two seasons as a Gopher, Hoese has appeared in 18 games and made one start, collected two letters, and twice earned scholar-athlete recognition. Last year, he also was an Academic All-Big Ten Conference selection.

Now, he's looking for more starts and more snaps under new coordinators Jedd Fisch and Tim Davis.

http://www.glencoenews.com/Main.asp?SectionID=5&SubSectionID=5&ArticleID=22965

Go Gophers!!

I see the I

With Hoese at Fullback, and either Weber or Gray at QB. The options from the I are greater than the spread. Think of Michigan, Ohio State, or Wisconsin. Or think of Nebraska. All in their hayday. It was power football. All from the I. Hoese as a fullback can be an extremely usefull blocker on the second level, in pass protection, and in the flat as a check off. This kid has it all size, speed, and power. Thinking back on the Gophers, the last power fullback we had was David Puk. Is he Dr. Puk now?

Lets not forget about Tapeh Husker. One of my all time favorite players.

I am looking forward to the revamped O as I hated Dunbars version of the Spread. Hoese seems like a fit for the O and we will soon know how effective it will be. Will we ever see a game where we log 50 carries once again? The top teams in the BT seem to always have a potent running attack.

The thing about this, is that he's crazy fast for a fullback. we know he can plunge, but I've got to think he can run a little maybe even get around the tackles. It'll be fun to see how they use him.

You are correct Bayfield

Tapeh certainly is the current model. He of the lead on the sweep that saw cornerbacks stepping out of bounds to avoid a block. I really like the idea of Hoese starting a trend of having true fullbacks on the roster. I think he not only has the size, strength, and quickness. But also sense of big time performance. The big play.

what about Justin Valentine? I think his career would have taken off if we had stayed with the run game. i believe he was very underrated

Schnoodler, the options

The fullback in the I, is a blocker in my favorite call 32 I blast. For the purist its fullback on inside linebacker. He is a ballcarrier in 21 trap. And off play action fullback seem. How about a screen, heck go back and watch game film of the forty niners or Nebraska with Roger Craig and Tom Rathman.

Maybe...

We are going to see the wishbone come back!!!! POWER smashmouth, football on Campus!!!

Top Bottom