Article about the natl prep champ Buggs/Hargrave

Jmmy Chitwood

Reaction score
http://www2.wsls.com/sports/2012/ma...ad-team-finishes-national-runner--ar-1751887/

Hargrave's post-grad team finishes as national runner-up

By: Ryan Stone | Special to the Register & Bee
Published: March 08, 2012

The Hargrave post-graduate basketball team fell to top-ranked Brewster, 87-76, in the National Prep Basketball Championship tournament title game Wednesday night in New Haven, Conn.

The previously unbeaten Tigers got off to a slow start in the championship game, falling behind 41-28 in the first half before going on a run to cut the lead to 45-38 at halftime.

Hargrave started hot in the second half and eventually took a 52-50 lead before things started going against them down the stretch.

The first came when forward Ryan Taylor rolled his ankle and was unable to return to the game and then point guard Codi Miller-McIntyre got a cramp in his leg with about four minutes remaining and was not able to return until the final minute when the game was already out of reach.

Hargrave coach A.W. Hamilton was still very proud of his team after the loss.

“I thought we played tremendous and represented our school very well,” said Hamilton. “Just sometimes when you get in a championship game and you have two really good teams, the ball doesn’t bounce your way. I give a lot of credit to Brewster though.”

Ryan Taylor led the Tigers in the championship game with 20 points. The team also got big contributions from Minnesota commit Charles Buggs with 15 points and guard Ambrose Mosley with 18 points.

Hargrave (38-1) won its quarterfinal and semifinal contests to advance to the championship game.

On Tuesday night, the Tigers beat No. 7-ranked Northfield Mount Hermon, 79-75, in the quarterfinals. With Hargrave leading 76-75, guard Ambrose Mosley hit a turnaround 3-pointer with one second left on the shot clock and 17 seconds left on the game clock for the game’s final points and advance to the semifinals.

The Tigers were led in scoring by Virginia Tech commit Montrezl Harrell with 31 points and Taylor with 21 points in the quarterfinal contest.

In the semifinals on Wednesday afternoon, Hargrave overcame a halftime deficit to defeat No. 6 New Hampton School 76-61.

The team was led in scoring by Wake Forest commit Miller-McIntyre with 20 points and Harrel with 18 points.

Coach Hamilton said he was very proud of the season his team had.

“I told my guys the hardest thing about tonight was seeing them take those jerseys off for the last time. This was a very special group of players and not a lot of teams could pull off a 38-1 season,” said Hamilton.

This was the third time in the last five years that Hargrave has advanced to the National Championship game, winning it in 2008 and also finishing runner-up in 2009. This is the second National Championship for Brewster in the last three years (2010).

Another write up on Charles' AAU team website:

www.triumphwhitebasketball.com

National Prep Championship Game report - Charles Buggs/Hargrave Military Academy

Brewster Academy handed Hargrave their first loss of the season in the National Prep Championship game Wednesday night. Hargrave finished the season 38-1 overall.

Charles Buggs had 15 points in the contest.

Charles paced Hargrave in the first half, nailing an early 3-pointer at the top of the key, then another in the deep right corner.

Later in the period, Charles drained his 3rd 3-pointer at the top of the key and got fouled, and he hit the and-1 FT for a 4-point play.

Just a couple of minutes later, Charles got a transition dunk running the floor following a turnover.

A few minutes later Buggs had his only missed fg of the game - on his 4th of 5 total three-point attempts.

With only a few minutes to go in the 2nd half, Charles nailed his 4th three-pointer of the game to cut the Brewster lead from 7 to 4 points.

Overall, Buggs was 4-5 3 pt fg, 1-1 2 pt fg, 1-1 ft.

Charles had a fantastic year of basketball playing on the National Prep Runner-Up.

Minnesota fans were buzzing watching the live feed, and the Gophers got a big win vs. Northwestern in the BiG tourney last night.

With a young nucleus returning next season, the future looks bright for Minnesota and for Charles Buggs.

Another write up on Charles' AAU team website:

www.triumphwhitebasketball.com

National Prep Championship Game report - Charles Buggs/Hargrave Military Academy

Brewster Academy handed Hargrave their first loss of the season in the National Prep Championship game Wednesday night. Hargrave finished the season 38-1 overall.

Charles Buggs had 15 points on 4-5 3 pt, 1-1 fg, 1-1 ft.

Charles paced Hargrave in the first half, nailing an early 3-pointer at the top of the key, then another in the deep right corner.

Later in the period, Charles drained a 3 from the top of the key and got fouled, and hit the and-1 FT for a 4-point play.

Just a couple of minutes later, Charles got a transition dunk running the floor following a turnover.

Buggs missed just 1 shot in the game - his 5th of 5 three-point attempts - and had a fantastic year of basketball playing on the National Prep Runner-Up.

Minnesota fans were buzzing watching the live feed, and the Gophers got a big win vs. Northwestern in the BiG tourney last night.

With a young nucleus returning next season, the future looks bright for Minnesota and for Charles Buggs.

+1

Jimmy...Thanks for those links and your write ups. Well done, my friend.

no problem. the article had one part incorrect and it was updated and expaned a little bit, which has been edited in the above post as well.

Charles missed his 4th 3-pointer then hit a 5th late in the 2nd half.

I will give any more updates if I have them in the future. not sure what he will be doing this summer. hopefully getting to minnesota early I would think.

what are summers like up there?

I hope to make a game next season. hopefully tubby will get them going and it will be an NCAA season.

good luck the rest of this season!

no problem. the article had one part incorrect and it was updated and expaned a little bit, which has been edited in the above post as well.

I will give any more updates if I have them in the future. not sure what he will be doing this summer. hopefully getting to minnesota early I would think.

I hope to make a game next season. hopefully tubby will get them going and it will be an NCAA season.

Humid as f*ck. May not get above 100, but humidity makes it feel absolutely terrible. You start sweating as soon as you step outside.

Jimmy - This place is as good as it gets in the summers. Lakes, trees, it's beautiful. It's not that humid.

Top Bottom