Arrivals of West Coast schools could cause Big Ten to depart from its traditional smashmouth style

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Steve:

The Big Ten’s westward expansion could challenge the league’s reputation for smashmouth football.

No Power Five conference has tended to rely more on defense and the running game than the Big Ten. The arrival of Southern California, UCLA, Oregon and Washington next year just might change that.

“It’ll be a fun mix of leagues,” said new Purdue offensive coordinator Graham Harrell, who held the same position at USC from 2019-21.

Perhaps the mix will help balance a conference whose strength has come on one side of the ball lately.

The list of the 14 Bowl Subdivision programs to allow the fewest yards per game last season included six Big Ten schools: Iowa (2nd), Illinois (3rd), Michigan (6th), Minnesota (9th), Wisconsin (11th) and Ohio State (14th). That marked the 10th straight season in which at least two Big Ten teams ranked in the top 10 in total defense.

Each of the last five years, Ohio State has been the only Big Ten program to finish among the nation’s top 20 teams in total offense. The last time the Big Ten had two teams rank in the top 15 in total offense was 2014.

“I do think there’s a nature of playing really sound in the Big Ten,” said new Wisconsin coach Luke Fickell, who previously spent about two decades in the conference as a defensive tackle, assistant coach and interim head coach at Ohio State. “There’s a nature of playing really physical in the Big Ten, not that they don’t do it in other conferences. If that means maybe there’s better defenses or less offensive firepower in the Big Ten, so be it.”

That offensive firepower is coming soon.

Washington ranked second, USC third, UCLA fourth and Oregon sixth nationally in total offense just last season. All four teams averaged at least 500 yards per game, something no Big Ten program other than Ohio State has done since Indiana in 2015.

Granted, most of the schools leaving the Pac-12 will have different quarterbacks by the time they enter the Big Ten. Yet these schools still should provide a change of pace from typical Big Ten football because their styles are more in line with nationwide trends prioritizing offense.

“I think defensively in general we haven’t been as good throughout the country of keeping up with the offenses,” Fickell said. “I think defensive guys have been set in their ways a little bit. But I think what you’re starting to see is an evolution and change on both sides of the ball. Will it affect the Big Ten? Yes. I don’t know exactly how.”

That uncertainty carries over to the players with experience in both the Pac-12 and Big Ten.

Nebraska center Ben Scott transferred from Arizona State and Wisconsin wide receiver CJ Williams began his college career at USC. Both predict slight changes in the Big Ten’s style of play with the arrival of the Pac-12 schools, but they don’t expect a major transformation.

Go Gophers!!

I absolutely love smash mouth football that is the B1G (specifically West) but man it would be unbelievably funny to see Iowa beat Illinois 70-62 in 2040 throwing the ball 50+ times because running the ball is illegal in 49 states

What if the west coast schools were forced to adopt a more smashmouth style?

The trend is generally toward passing nationwide and at all levels of football, but I haven't seen proof that pass-wacky is the way to conquer the Big Ten, or that it's superior to a run-oriented ball control style.

Michigan was an also-ran until they got heavier on running and defense the last couple years.

Only Ohio State has been able to make it work long term, and that's with superior talent at all positions including a WR room half the teams in the NFL would trade for. Ohio State could also run the wishbone and win most of their games.

PJ Fleck and the Gophers will adapt to the changes.

The Gophers Defense will remain strong. Eleven players on Defense have been drafted into the NFL since the arrival of PJ Fleck. This trend will continue.

The Gophers' offense will change with their core Offensive identity intact. The Gophers' explosive offense makeover is coming.

Gopher recruiting goes up on overdrive.

The arrival of Southern California, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington next year will shake up the Big Ten initially. The new Big Ten will be an exciting conference to watch.

The Gophers' new explosive offense is coming!

Last edited:

Love that interview by Fickell
Tells me he is as dumb as frost

I remember frost saying he won’t have to adapt to the big ten the big ten will have to adapt to him. Which, to be fair, he was right. The big ten had to get used to dominating Nebraska rather than fearing them

Well, when you change the rules you end up with over valued qbs and wrs. Kinda sad.

The reality is that there is going to have to be adjustment both ways. The more traditional style teams will have to adjust to additional teams with speed and more wide open offenses.

On the flip side those teams are going have to adjust to teams that play a more power style of football. They are going to be more built to handle speed so power could cause problems for them.

Plus there is the added development of those West Coast teams having to deal with cold weather and other bad conditions far more often than they currently do.

They have the wind, sleet, and plenty of rain in the PacNW schools. Just not the snow and brutal cold. That's another level. But it's still plenty hard to throw the ball in wet, windy, 40deg.

Big Ten West games must be brutal entertainment for the casual viewer.

I think there will be some blending, and adjustment in both sides.

West Coast defenses will have to adjust to be better defending the run, the rest will have to adjust to be better against the pass.

Who has to adjust more? Probably the West Coast schools, but you never know.

I do think having more offensive variety in the big ten will catapult our defenses to the next level though. There will be no more "They are only ranked high because B1G schools don't score that much" talk.

OH ST has been the dominant team in the BIG for over a decade by recruiting offensive talent not only in RBs but also in QBs who can throw but also in NFL-quality WRs.
The so-called "smash mouth" offense has not led any BIG team to threaten the dominance that OH ST has had until recently when MI also had some gifted QBs and WRs.
The best approach is to have balance on offense but that takes recruiting and using the portal at a very high level.

OH ST has been the dominant team in the BIG for over a decade by recruiting offensive talent not only in RBs but also in QBs who can throw but also in NFL-quality WRs.
The so-called "smash mouth" offense has not led any BIG team to threaten the dominance that OH ST has had until recently when MI also had some gifted QBs and WRs.
The best approach is to have balance on offense but that takes recruiting and using the portal at a very high level.
With the recruits OSU has, they could probably run just about any offense and be dominant. It would almost be impossible to coach that team to a losing record.

Oregon and USC throwing the ball all over the place mid-November in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, et al with sleet, wind, with -5° windchill will be fun. I heard its super easy.
The Gophers have become a very good cold weather and elements team and that can be a great equalizer especially later in the year. Teams can still come in and win with superior talent, but they need to be able to adapt to cold or windy conditions that they may not be very used to. There are some days you will not be able to throw deep very well and speed can be neutralized a bit.

That is one reason why the Big Ten model works in the cold weather. You have to be able to run and play smash mouth football in late November. It should be a nice little edge to get them up here late in the year.

With the new rule changes and if the Nebraska game is any indication possessions will be limited. if a team can establish an effective run game and control the clock thr game could possible be game over very early in a contest. With that said, if a team gets behind by a couple of touchdowns to start the 2nd half they will probably need to go pass heavy at that point. I belive teams will need to be much more balanced. As far as defense goes, it will be interesting to see how it plays out over an entire season.

Who is going to have to adjust?

Defense Rankings Nationally
2022 B1G National Rank
By Points/By Yards
ILL 1/3
IOW 2/2
MIN 4/9
MCH 7/6
PSU 9/17
WIS 17/11
OSU 24/14
MD 43/43
MSU 74/101
PUR 76/53
NEB 77/100
NW 83/63
RUT 96/38
IND 120/119

2022 Pac National Rank
By Points/By Yards
WSH 58/60
ORE 75/71
UCLA 92/87
USC 94/106

2022 B1G National Rank
By Points/By Yards
ILL 1/3
IOW 2/2
MIN 4/9
MCH 7/6
PSU 9/17
WIS 17/11
OSU 24/14
MD 43/43
MSU 74/101
PUR 76/53
NEB 77/100
NW 83/63
RUT 96/38
IND 120/119

2022 Pac National Rank
By Points/By Yards
WSH 58/60
ORE 75/71
UCLA 92/87
USC 94/106
It will be interesting to find out if Big Ten defenses are really good or if they are ranked highly because the offenses are really bad.

Big 12, Pac 12 have long been defense optional conferences in a lot of cases.

Oregon and USC throwing the ball all over the place mid-November in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, et al with sleet, wind, with -5° windchill will be fun. I heard its super easy.
One thing that stuck in my mind was when Brewster was coach and he had a recruiting pitch that said over the last however many years the average game time temperature for a Gopher game was like 60 degrees. I think weather is drastically overstated, even in the Big Ten. There have been some really cold games - Gopher/Iowa game last year where the windchill was right around 0, but there have been a lot of November games where I am sitting in a sweatshirt comfortably in the stadium.

Add to that the traditional last game of the season is a rivalry I would assume that USC and UCLA will play each other you are now looking at mid-November as their last potential travel to the midwest part of the country.

Athan threw for 300+ yards last year in the win over Wisconsin and Tanner nearly threw for 300 against Wisconsin in 2019 and that was a miserable day - temps around 30-33 with rain and snow mixing.

One thing that stuck in my mind was when Brewster was coach and he had a recruiting pitch that said over the last however many years the average game time temperature for a Gopher game was like 60 degrees. I think weather is drastically overstated, even in the Big Ten. There have been some really cold games - Gopher/Iowa game last year where the windchill was right around 0, but there have been a lot of November games where I am sitting in a sweatshirt comfortably in the stadium.

Add to that the traditional last game of the season is a rivalry I would assume that USC and UCLA will play each other you are now looking at mid-November as their last potential travel to the midwest part of the country.

Athan threw for 300+ yards last year in the win over Wisconsin and Tanner nearly threw for 300 against Wisconsin in 2019 and that was a miserable day - temps around 30-33 with rain and snow mixing.
90° with humidity the first couple weeks (and god knows how hot on the field)...and 20° with a windchill the last few weeks. Brewster spinning some serious s**t there.

They have the wind, sleet, and plenty of rain in the PacNW schools. Just not the snow and brutal cold. That's another level. But it's still plenty hard to throw the ball in wet, windy, 40deg.
True. But throwing and catching in cold wind is a lot different than throwing in a not-as-cold wind.

90° with humidity the first couple weeks (and god knows how hot on the field)...and 20° with a windchill the last few weeks. Brewster spinning some serious s**t there.
I was curious, not that it matters, but looked up the game time temps from the last two years.

9/2 - Ohio State - 67 (Night Game)
9/11 - Miami (OH) - 73
9/25 - Bowling Green - 53
10/16 - Nebraska - 58
10/23 - Maryland - 52
11/6 - Illinois - 53
11/27 - Wisconsin - 40 (but felt like paradise when I was jumping around!)

9/1 - New Mexico State - 77
9/10 - Western Illinois - 62
9/17 - Colorado - 76
10/1 - Purdue - 63
10/29 - Rutgers - 66
11/12 - Northwestern - 31
11/19 - Iowa - 15 (Crazy thing, a week later, the Saturday after Thanksgiving, the temp was 53)

Can't wait for those high flying offenses to get smashed in the mouth...

2022 B1G National Rank
By Points/By Yards
ILL 1/3
IOW 2/2
MIN 4/9
MCH 7/6
PSU 9/17
WIS 17/11
OSU 24/14
MD 43/43
MSU 74/101
PUR 76/53
NEB 77/100
NW 83/63
RUT 96/38
IND 120/119

2022 Pac National Rank
By Points/By Yards
WSH 58/60
ORE 75/71
UCLA 92/87
USC 94/106
You also need to factor in that B1G offenses are worse which makes the defenses look better.

You also need to factor in that B1G offenses are worse which makes the defenses look better.
And Pac schools play no defense at all, which makes their offenses look better. They don't even make an effort.

Offense wins some games, defense wins Championships.

I

In 2007, I watched an Oregon team with Dennis Dixon and Jonathan Taylor run the most devastating play fakes I've ever seen at any level of football in a sideways downpour at Husky Stadium in Seattle.

The spread can work just fine in foul weather with the right trigger man.

I

In 2007, I watched an Oregon team with Dennis Dixon and Jonathan Taylor run the most devastating play fakes I've ever seen at any level of football in a sideways downpour at Husky Stadium in Seattle.

Joe Tiller did it at Wyoming and Purde with good success.

New footballl is more passing. Whatever happened to the wishbone? It's called reality, AKA spread offense. 60/40 instead of 40/60.

A 5 yard pass is a 5 yard run if you want slogging ball control.

Key is to have a good QB or you have to settle for running.

Yes, 4 mild Pacific weather teams do make a difference. Same with North Carolina with their QB.

I

The idea that you can't throw the ball in cold climate is very outdated thinking.

As is the assumption that "spread" = pass heavy.

Top Bottom