Army-Navy Game

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
I know this game means little in the overall landscape of college football now days but I still love watching this game. What these guys go through with studying, training, and practicing is remarkable. There was a documentary on Showtime several years ago called "A Game of Honor". It is a must see. I've been looking for it to come out on DVD to purchase for my father in law but I've yet to see it.

Today is just perfect: two teams grinding out every yard in the snow. Getting to an Army-Navy game is definitely on my bucket list. Has anyone been to one?

I'm hoping Army can win today to break the streak.

images

Looking like Navy will win this. But I guess things could change in the 4th.

So will anyone declare this no longer a rivalry now that Navy has won 12 in a row? I know, it's a slightly different beast, but the trolls who say that's the case in the WI game or any other always make me chuckle.

Go Navy(both my dad and my wife's parents served), nice to see them win in a great atmosphere with the snow.

Loved watching the game today, and as a Navy vet I'm thinking about making my way up to Fort Worth to watch their bowl game after our boys take care of Syracuse.

Watch every year and is honestly one of my favorite games, if not, the favorite.
The story behind the coin flip was very neat.

As a native Minnesotan, Gopher season ticket holder and West Point grad.....there are not many games that are more fun. I was at the game on Saturday and this is an "event" for the entire city of Philadelphia. It was a blast (minus the outcome of the game and weather). Even though Navy is "our" Wisconsin, there is ZERO hatred for the other side, only respect. I think that's what makes the game so much fun.

It's just too bad that Army has not won for 12 yrs.....

Great fun nonetheless. Army just fired our coach last night, so we'll see what happens next (You think it's hard to recruit to MN, try Army!)

I have a recruiting story about 11 letter winner, all state at two positions in football in Illinois. Paul Dietzel was traveling coast to coast to find that athlete who could represent the Academy and help him win. His backfield coach Jim Valek was recruiting him . It was 1962, and Dietzel wanted to take a 18 year old Fred Barofsky and his parents to dinner to present the offer. Valek made the reservations. They were seated close to the stage. No one had checked who the performer was. It was Sally Rand. As she came out with her fans, Fred's attention was captured. Valek spent the rest of the evening apologizing to Fred's parents and Fred committed to Army. Dietzel said he didn't know if it was Army or Sallly that sealed the deal.

Further recruiting memories. A running back that played just one year with Barofsky was John Wintermute who played for Minnesota. And if Minnesota had spent any time looking at other players they would have found Gary Jestadt QB, who was a 1965 Cubs 4th round daft choice. Oscar Sliva MLB who signed with Illinois. Mike Sickish OG who played for Northwestern, Bob Wintermute who played for Illinois. These misses in a pipeline and a failure to recruit Minnesota correctly probably cost Murray Warmath his job.

The Army-Navy game may not have major bowl implications, but it's going to remain a significant event for the foreseeable future. I was in the Air Force, but Air Force-Army or Air Force-Navy just isn't the event that Army-Navy is.

I echo the sentiments of others with the Army-Navy game being a great thing to watch. It has always been one of my favorite College Football games, or any football game for that matter, to watch every year. (Outside of any Gopher game, of course. :))

Definitely one of my 'bucket list' items is to attend an Army-Navy game, like others.

Top Bottom