Arizona State @ Minnesota: 1-21-21 @ 1-22-21

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Bob Motzko spent a season as an assistant coach for Herb Brooks at St. Cloud State, so it's not surprising that he'd pick up a trick or two from the Miracle on Ice architect.

On Monday, that meant a spirited practice heavy on battle drills for his Gophers men's hockey team, one-on-one and two-on-two competitions among players. It might not have been the nonstop "Herbie" sprints that Brooks famously forced his 1980 Olympic team to do immediately after a tie with Norway, but Motzko's tactic was an attention-grabber for his team after its lackluster effort in being swept at home by Notre Dame.

"It sure was an issue for us this last weekend," Motzko said of the lost puck battles. " … We needed to be better prepared last weekend, and we weren't. We're gonna not make that mistake again."

Motzko put the blame on himself and his staff for not maintaining the proper focus for a Gophers team that was 11-1 and had spent the past five weeks atop both major national polls.

Forward Scott Reedy (six goals, five assists, 11 points) "probably'' will return after missing the past four games because of an undisclosed injury, coach Bob Motzko said. Defenseman Matt Staudacher (0-3-3), who missed the Notre Dame series because of an injury, likely won't play this series.

Means nothing standings wise but really need a smooth weekend here.

Means nothing standings wise but really need a smooth weekend here.
There is a chance winning percentage plays a role in seeding for any potential NCAA tournament. So, this is a must sweep.

Game Day info...

Jeebus, what a beatdown.

They're missing key players, and started their third string goalie, on top of sucking. So ya. Nothing to see here.

Let me know what's not true about the statement. It's a game that if you win, you just took care of business and move on.

Relax.

All I said was it was a beatdown and it is. Then you qualified it as "nothing to see here."

Interesting fan perspective, but maybe I'll heed your advice and quit watching (even as the beatdown is now 6-0 with shots at 30-2 as I type this.)

Relax.

All I said was it was a beatdown and it is. Then you qualified it as "nothing to see here."

Interesting fan perspective, but maybe I'll heed your advice and quit watching (even as the beatdown is now 6-0 with shots at 30-2 as I type this.)
Nothing to learn here would be the better way to say it. Lessons about a team are learned in games with a challenge.

Reactions: MRJ

The important thing now is to get out of this healthy because ASU is cheap, and has already launched the first cheap shot.

Reactions: MRJ

Nothing to learn here would be the better way to say it. Lessons about a team are learned in games with a challenge.
Agreed, but that doesn't mean I won't call a spade a spade. And this is quite the beating.

Having watched ASU a bit this year, I'm kinda shocked to be honest. Are they really missing that many important players?

Having watched ASU a bit this year, I'm kinda shocked to be honest. Are they really missing that many important players?
They're 5-11-2. So they're bad even at full strength. They're missing their third leading scorer, two of their top four D, and two other forwards. Also missing one of the two main goalies, which is why the third string goalie started and gave up 4. He came in with an .842 save percentage, which is brutal.

The body language of the goalie that came in at 4-0 was HORRIBLE right away. He doesn't want to be in there, and now it's 7-0.

The important thing now is to get out of this healthy because ASU is cheap, and has already launched the first cheap shot.
Exactly what I'm afraid of. These guys historically have made UND look like choir boys.

The body language of the goalie that came in at 4-0 was HORRIBLE right away. He doesn't want to be in there, and now it's 7-0.
And now he's out after 8-0. Literally a club team callup goalie in there now.

When is the last time the Gopher men potted 10 in a game?

Gophers win 10-0.

The most beautiful scoreline I can remember in my life for a Gopher game.

10-3 over Kato in 03-04

Larger margin of victory was 12-1 over UAH in 02-03
Those teams were absolutely stacked. I remember the Huntsville game, not Kato.

Regardless, I'll let this emoji do the talking for me: :oops:

Those teams were absolutely stacked. I remember the Huntsville game, not Kato.

Regardless, I'll let this emoji do the talking for me: :oops:
ASU has played 11 games in Minnesota and lost all 11 by a combined total of 59-10. They are brutal inside these borders. Maybe cuz the douche coach wears sunglasses on his collar to an ice arena in the middle of winter?

ASU has played 11 games in Minnesota and lost all 11 by a combined total of 59-10. They are brutal inside these borders. Maybe cuz the douche coach wears sunglasses on his collar to an ice arena in the middle of winter?
:unsure:

Did you watch the game? They were pathetic
I did. ASU has managed five wins, same as Denver and one less than UMD, basically playing on road almost every game. They were clearly out matched by a very, very good Gopher squad. A double digit win is very rare for Gophers. Double digit shutout win even rarer, regardless of the opponent.

Top Bottom