Arizona after Xavier's Miller

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4043820

Xavier coach Sean Miller was expected to meet Arizona athletic director Jim Livengood in Albuquerque, N.M., on Sunday to discuss the Wildcats' opening, according to a source.

Xavier coach Sean Miller has led the Musketeers to the NCAA tournament the last four seasons.
However, Xavier athletic director Mike Bobinski told the Cincinnati Enquirer on Sunday that the Musketeers were prepared to make a counteroffer -- if necessary.

A source said Miller was scheduled to board a private plane Sunday morning en route to Albuquerque, where he was expected to meet with Livengood about the Wildcats' opening

Reading each of the message boards, an interesting contrast has developed.

Xavier fans seem convinced that Miller is gone.

On the other hand, Arizona fans seem convinced that Jim Livengood has dropped the ball yet again.

Xavier is my second cheering interest, so it ought to be interesting to see what happens out of this.

Changing Times?

Maybe the Arizona job isn't that great, after all. They will need a terrific recruiter there since the high school talent base won't sustain a high major program. Maybe the landscape in college coaching is changing. No longer can the big boys automatically expect to be able to raid smaller programs of their successful coaches by throwing prestige and a pile of cash in front of them.

Tubby may be a trend setter in this area, setting aside the big time and coming to a more comfortable, less stressful situation, and just coaching basketball.

I can't help but think the decline of Kentucky (if they can fall, anyone can), the rapid movement of players (not just the one and dones), and the high stress environments of some of these places are giving coaches with options a lot to think about. It is clear many of them are thinking what they have built up is a lot better than starting over.

How long will AZ vainly search before rehiring Pennell on an interim basis? They might find a bigger, more expensive name, but probably not a better coach.

How long will AZ vainly search before rehiring Pennell on an interim basis? They might find a bigger, more expensive name, but probably not a better coach.

I think a lot if not most of the credit for Arizona's success this year goes to assistant Mike Dunlap as it sounds and not Pennell from what I have read as if he made the majority of the coaching calls and decisions. He was the one originally offered the interim job by Arizona but turned it down because he felt he had put in his dues and deserved more of a committment from the university. Mike Dunlap was now hired by Oregon as an assistant and was pretty much forced on Ernie Kent at Oregon if Ernie wanted to keep his job.

AZ is reportedly going after Utah's head coach now, Jim Boylen. Utes won the MWC before being upset by Arizona in the first round.

Looks like those reports were wrong, miller has taken the job

Top Bottom