Ariel McDonald on Mackey and Judd

howeda7

Reaction score
http://pcast.1500espn.com/JP012016-3.mp3

Ariel was on Mackey and Judd today. Appreciate the honest take, but I was a bit surprised on just how negative he was.

Basically, he doesn't think next year will be much better. 'I don't want to call it hopeless but....' Mason and co. 'are what they are'.

He doesn't see anyone on the current team making big strides next year. Coffee will be a nice player, but not a game changer.

The recruitment of Konate and Diedhou was a major miss. Said he suggested a kid to them who went ISU, but they felt this was the way to go.

I listened to that this afternoon, and I've listened to AM many times before. He is a zero on the radio. A mindless babbler.

A real self-promotion type........or tries to be.

Nick Noskowiak? Whatever, I'm pretty sure Pitino didn't have the ability to be risky with another troubled recruit.

If it's not much better next year Pitino is gone. But it's gonna be really hard to not be that much better. Sounds like Ariel recently started posting on the hole, if he's not, he should, he would fit right in.

As far as wins and losses i dont disagree with him. Id put it somewhere between 3 and 7 wins next year in conference and 2-3 years before we are back to
.500 in conference. The new ad will need to be pretty understanding for pitino to last beyond next year. Well have to see how this staff does with player development but so far the post players arent showing much.

Ariel was on Mackey and Judd today. Appreciate the honest take, but I was a bit surprised on just how negative he was.

Basically, he doesn't think next year will be much better. 'I don't want to call it hopeless but....' Mason and co. 'are what they are'.

He doesn't see anyone on the current team making big strides next year. Coffee will be a nice player, but not a game changer.

The recruitment of Konate and Diedhou was a major miss. Said he suggested a kid to them who went ISU, but they felt this was the way to go.

As in Iowa St? Because they signed two players in the same recruiting class as Konate and Diedhou, and neither are with the team anymore.

Pitino will be here at least five years. Book it.

I have listened to McDonald before. I think he makes things up. I heard him talk about the Wolves, and wondered if he ever saw them play

I think he is completely wrong on that you can see some of these guys getting better and growing every game wonder how many games he has actually watched this year. I don't know if 1 single guy will be a game changer but I think the combined impact of the recruits and transfers will and I expect next years team to have anywhere from 7-10 wins in the B1G next year and maybe a chance to be a bubble team.

Certainly a couple of the things he said aren't a stretch. Not sure I have that bleak of an outlook, however. The key is that none of Murphy, Mason, or McBrayer transfer. They can be solid pieces on a winning team if Pitino gets more to go with them.

I've already checked out of this season, but I have cautious optimism for next season. I think we could win 6-8 big ten games next season if the pieces fall into place.

Only in Minnesota is what AM said about the Gophers harsh analysis. He even kind of walked back his initial comments saying seen it yet about the current players.

I've already checked out of this season, but I have cautious optimism for next season. I think we could win 6-8 big ten games next season if the pieces fall into place.

That's depressing.

I have listened to McDonald before. I think he makes things up. I heard him talk about the Wolves, and wondered if he ever saw them play

I do think there is a back story between he and Pitino, but I don't think that he makes things up. He said that there are no difference makers on this year's team and that's about right. He said that the new guys coming in next year aren't that great and he may be right. He said that the team will move up one or two notches next year and I think that's about right. Modest improvement.

He said that Rubio is the same player he was at fifteen in Spain and that he isn't strong enough and mean enough. I didn't see Rubio play at fifteen, but I did see him play at twenty. He's still a great passer and a lousy shooter. He's still too skinny. McDonald said that he would be an excellent backup on a top team. Can you argue with that? He said that the wolves, with Ricky, are still 5-6 years away from the finals because they have to learn some lessons in the playoffs in order to advance. Can you argue with that?

He may have an ego and an agenda w/ Pitino, but he knows both teams and his candor in this interview made it worthwhile.

I do think there is a back story between he and Pitino, but I don't think that he makes things up. He said that there are no difference makers on this year's team and that's about right. He said that the new guys coming in next year aren't that great and he may be right. He said that the team will move up one or two notches next year and I think that's about right. Modest improvement.

He said that Rubio is the same player he was at fifteen in Spain and that he isn't strong enough and mean enough. I didn't see Rubio play at fifteen, but I did see him play at twenty. He's still a great passer and a lousy shooter. He's still too skinny. McDonald said that he would be an excellent backup on a top team. Can you argue with that? He said that the wolves, with Ricky, are still 5-6 years away from the finals because they have to learn some lessons in the playoffs in order to advance. Can you argue with that?

He may have an ego and an agenda w/ Pitino, but he knows both teams and his candor in this interview made it worthwhile.

Jordan Murphy could absolutely be a difference maker next season, Lynch could absolutely be a defensive difference maker, Nate Mason is a good player, Amir Coffey should be a very good player, Dorsey and McBrayer will be solid.

As for Rubio, he ranks 13th-15th among PG's in PER, Value Added, Estimated Wins Added, 5th in Real Plus Minus, 4th in Assist/TO. So yes, you can definitely argue with a statement saying he should be a backup

I think a lot of people sell Nate Mason short. He is going to be very good, I think he'll be our Shields from Nebraska, the next two years, that steady upper classmen who can will us to win a couple games. Wish he was a bit more vocal, but he is steady as they come.

As for Rubio, he ranks 13th-15th among PG's in PER, Value Added, Estimated Wins Added, 5th in Real Plus Minus, 4th in Assist/TO. So yes, you can definitely argue with a statement saying he should be a backup

Not only that, but also saying that he's the same player now that he was at 15? So he's saying that Rubio would've been starting in the NBA at 15? Probably the greatest 15-year-old basketball player in the history of Earth? Yeah, that sounds plausible.

I think a lot of people sell Nate Mason short. He is going to be very good, I think he'll be our Shields from Nebraska, the next two years, that steady upper classmen who can will us to win a couple games. Wish he was a bit more vocal, but he is steady as they come.

The Shields I saw against Michigan State is at a level I just don't see Mason ever getting to. Very glad we have him, but Nate won't carry us to a victory like Shields did. Michigan State is missing something at the moment but it was at MS.

The Shields I saw against Michigan State is at a level I just don't see Mason ever getting to. Very glad we have him, but Nate won't carry us to a victory like Shields did. Michigan State is missing something at the moment but it was at MS.

Let me clarify, not sure he will be as good as shields, just the type of player on the team that shields is. Solid team leader, gets them out of jams and is consistently being a solid contributor rarely the reason they lose and frequently a significant contributor to the wins.

Jordan Murphy could absolutely be a difference maker next season, Lynch could absolutely be a defensive difference maker, Nate Mason is a good player, Amir Coffey should be a very good player, Dorsey and McBrayer will be solid.

Murphy could be a difference maker next season but he's an undersized 4 with a lot of potential who fouls too much this year. He's definitely a good player and he's the best they've got. No indication yet that he's a difference maker. Haven't seen Lynch play but, given his stats at Illinois St., I'm skeptical that he will be a difference maker. That doesn't mean that he won't start and won't contribute. I'm also concerned that next year's freshmen are being overhyped because this year is so bad. Difference makers are elite players who can turn programs around. Good players are contributors. Murphy, Mason and, probably, Lynch are contributors at this point.

The stats make Rubio an average pg which means that he would be an excellent backup on a top team. He also can't shoot, which makes him a liability at the end of games. I'll bet his stats (the ones you cited) are way down at the end of games when a backup normally isn't playing.

Murphy could be a difference maker next season but he's an undersized 4 with a lot of potential who fouls too much this year. He's definitely a good player and he's the best they've got. No indication yet that he's a difference maker. Haven't seen Lynch play but, given his stats at Illinois St., I'm skeptical that he will be a difference maker. That doesn't mean that he won't start and won't contribute. I'm also concerned that next year's freshmen are being overhyped because this year is so bad. Difference makers are elite players who can turn programs around. Good players are contributors. Murphy, Mason and, probably, Lynch are contributors at this point.

The stats make Rubio an average pg which means that he would be an excellent backup on a top team. He also can't shoot, which makes him a liability at the end of games. I'll bet his stats (the ones you cited) are way down at the end of games when a backup normally isn't playing.

I would disagree with that. It is obvious when he is not in the game compared to when he is. Completely different team.

But I agree he fouls too much. Hopefully experience will correct that.

You realize there are thirty teams in the nba right? If he falls in the teens in a rank of point guards how would that make him a backup? Which one of your "top teams " has two point guards in the top ten of the league?

You realize there are thirty teams in the nba right? If he falls in the teens in a rank of point guards how would that make him a backup? Which one of your "top teams " has two point guards in the top ten of the league?

Maroon said he was 13th-15th in several categories and, observationally, we've seen his production fall way off at the end of games. I'd say that makes him about average. I'm not going to do a roster search but at this time last year Phoenix had three excellent point guards on their roster, so it does happen from time to time.

This is wrong because of the front court coming in. You literally can put anyone 6'8" or taller on the court and be markedly better than Diedhou or Konate. The front court we have coming next year is fairly good so you would expect much better production out of our 4 and 5 and Murphy will be better as well. I also like that almost the entire team will be together again, because I think only Joey King is gone? Could be wrong on that but I think senior class is extremely light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom