Area Codes Basketball: Shaka is in Minneapolis.

cfield23

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Another "close source" guy says Shaka is in Minneapolis tonight.

Chad Groth (@areacodes) tweeted at 11:38 PM on Tue, Mar 26, 2013:
A close source said Shaka Smart is in Minneapolis, my hometown & I love it! 3.3 & 7 Guaranteed 21+million
(https://twitter.com/areacodes/status/316771232748036096)

I'm posting to see what you guys think. He has quite a bit of followers and areacodesbasketball.com is legit. I think the money he says would be in the ballpark so maybe there is some traction? Thoughts? I hope it is true, but I know its most likely another troll...still fun to share. Sometimes big news isn't broken by big names.

This is a little bit intriguing. This guy actually has numbers, and a career in the business that I'm guessing he would like to keep. At the very least, it is interesting and something to keep an eye on.

Interesting, it doesn't look like a troll, let's consider the coaching search over!

1600 followers is a lot, and if Shaka is confirmed being in Minneapolis - than that's farther than he's ever gone with any other coaching search other than VCU. Bodes well for the Gophers.

Agreed everyone has a source hahahaha... I just hope this dude actually has one. That being said, the money sounds right and Gopher Lady tweeted that USA Today confirmed that UCLA and Minnesota have indeed reached out to Shaka... could the whole "working aggressively to extend" Shaka be a translation for "Shaka was offered a job at Minnesota and went to see if VCU can match"??.... if that's the case, I like.

I do find it interesting that Shaka hasn't released a statement and no one has said where he is over the last couple days.

I'm gonna keep my eye on it. I figured I'd better post it here in case he did break it (can get credit) or... hopefully not...lose credibility.

Interesting indeed. His site areacodesbasketball.com seems legit.

As the little guy in a huge market, he has to know that spreading false info can quickly kill a career. If only I knew who his "source" was :p

I do find it interesting that Shaka hasn't released a statement and no one has said where he is over the last couple days.

Shaka has never released a statement during coach searches - VCU usually does when they redo his contract and have him sign it. It's how it's been for the last three years. Not saying this report is untrue, just passing along the info I've garnered through following the VCU program/Shaka over the last few years.

$3.3 million? Wow. We're not playing in the minor leagues anymore.

Shaka has never released a statement during coach searches - VCU usually does when they redo his contract and have him sign it. It's how it's been for the last three years. Not saying this report is untrue, just passing along the info I've garnered through following the VCU program/Shaka over the last few years.

Gotcha, that's probably pretty smart, otherwise people would be dissecting his statements 10 ways to Sunday.

There is a full moon.......

......emotions run high at this time. Mya will calm down in the morning, and the man named for the Zulu warrior will assume the throne.

My hunch is Tubby told him...."Get it up front." Hence the frantic fundraising for a practice facility.

Can something like facilities be written into a contract like that? How does that work? Contract is void if ground isn't broken by certain date? Astronomical bonus if ground isn't broken?

Can something like facilities be written into a contract like that? How does that work? Contract is void if ground isn't broken by certain date? Astronomical bonus if ground isn't broken?

I would assume so. Unless we have a state law that would prohibit such things for a state employee.

Definitely. They ARE going to build a facility. Its part of the master plan to be released soon. My guess is that Shaka wants to see the plan/wants a say in it. Maybe that's part of the negotiations? They can write anything into the contract but I doubt it'd be a breaking ground date... maybe a bonus if not done by 20xx?

I'd like to think that if Teague tells Shaka it is happening, then Shaka would believe him based on their relationship.

Considering our program is the 13th most profitable, why not live a little...:)

I won't believe any of these "Gopherhole" sources until I see Andy Katz tweet something.

Chad Groth, any relation to Jason Groth former bigwig on this site?

Agreed....I don't care how many followers a twitterer has or doesn't have...Anybody can blurt out junk. Nobody ever names a source which is also telling.

Agreed....I don't care how many followers a twitterer has or doesn't have...Anybody can blurt out junk. Nobody ever names a source which is also telling.

Well, you can't name your source. The coexistant balance of the relationship allows a person to be privy to a sources 'insider' information, but in exchange for that source's anonymity, and with the understanding that their identity is protected because some people might be upset that this information was 'leaked'. People who are already in the know aren't the ones looking to get credit for 'breaking' the news. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

Well, you can't name your source. The coexistant balance of the relationship allows a person to be privy to a sources 'insider' information, but in exchange for that source's anonymity, and with the understanding that their identity is protected because some people might be upset that this information was 'leaked'. People who are already in the know aren't the ones looking to get credit for 'breaking' the news. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

This.

+1

Teague insinuated they'd be willing to pay more than they paid Tubby at the press conference. Praying this is true.

Top Bottom