Are we this far under the radar?

I definetly hope that I'm dead wrong about the defense. I want to be dead wrong. Every year we go through this where the young guys behind our staters are suppose to be more athletic and better and it never pans out. I hope I'm wrong about the defense but time will only tell.

When was the last time we had a 6' 200 lbs. Strong Safety with CB spead and quickness. When did we have three starting LBs that run a 4.6 or better 40 yd dash, all with Big Ten Game Experience. When did we have two 300 lbs plus DTs coming back to start as JRs with plenty of Big Ten Game Experience. I just can not draw up memory of such talent compiled in our recent history. Can you help me?

"With the loss of their backup QB they are one play from having no answer at QB. Wisconsin's 3rd string and now backup QB looked absolutely terrible by all accounts this spring."

They don't really need that great of a QB because they can just run it down your throat all day.

"With the loss of their backup QB they are one play from having no answer at QB. Wisconsin's 3rd string and now backup QB looked absolutely terrible by all accounts this spring."

They don't really need that great of a QB because they can just run it down your throat all day.
With our size and depth on the D-line, I don't believe that they will be able to wear us down as in past years, as long as the offense is competent. Wisconsin's defense will not be as rugged as in past years so time of possesion will be more even.

When was the last time we had a 6' 200 lbs. Strong Safety with CB spead and quickness. When did we have three starting LBs that run a 4.6 or better 40 yd dash, all with Big Ten Game Experience. When did we have two 300 lbs plus DTs coming back to start as JRs with plenty of Big Ten Game Experience. I just can not draw up memory of such talent compiled in our recent history. Can you help me?

ding ding. great points I would add when was the last time the Gophers had an experienced all Big Ten caliber talent at corner like Michael Carter. And when was the last time our biggest question mark on the D-line was a 6´6¨ 290 pound freak of nature like Rashede Hageman. And HE´s currently the weak link. Not exactly something that worries me.

I´m mystified at the people who think that predictions of a great defense rely on nothing more than offseason optimism. It´s my opinion that these people

1)weren´t paying close attention to what these guys did last year when they got the chance to play.

2) did not have the privilege of watching this group play in spring ball. Not to be a broken record, but in my lifetime the Gophers have never had anywhere near this level of athleticism across the entire defense, and size and athleticism in the front four.

ding ding. great points I would add when was the last time the Gophers had an experienced all Big Ten caliber talent at corner like Michael Carter. And when was the last time our biggest question mark on the D-line was a 6´6¨ 290 pound freak of nature like Rashede Hageman. And HE´s currently the weak link. Not exactly something that worries me.

I´m mystified at the people who think that predictions of a great defense rely on nothing more than offseason optimism. It´s my opinion that these people

1)weren´t paying close attention to what these guys did last year when they got the chance to play.

2) did not have the privilege of watching this group play in spring ball. Not to be a broken record, but in my lifetime the Gophers have never had anywhere near this level of athleticism across the entire defense, and size and athleticism in the front four.

or maybe they did have the privilege of watching the defense in spring ball and came to the conclusion that you can't judge the defense from spring practice. yes they look more athletic and look to have more speed then a number of years but wanna wait until the actually play a few games before singing their praises.

or maybe they did have the privilege of watching the defense in spring ball and came to the conclusion that you can't judge the defense from spring practice. yes they look more athletic and look to have more speed then a number of years but wanna wait until the actually play a few games before singing their praises.

No one said one can not just wait and see. We were talking about predictions though. And we were just outlining positive factors that should be considered.

I definetly hope that I'm dead wrong about the defense. I want to be dead wrong. Every year we go through this where the young guys behind our staters are suppose to be more athletic and better and it never pans out. I hope I'm wrong about the defense but time will only tell.

Are you saying Jon Shevlin and Mike Sherels were better and more athletic than Nate Tripplett and Simoni Lawerence? or Tramaine Brock was not an upgrade in talent or Traye Simmons? Our players are definitely getting more athletic than any of their predecessors. Our Defense is becoming top tier in the Big Ten, I would agree with the poster who said we are top 4 defense in the conference.

4-5 wins.
Top 4 Defense in the conference? Based on what, that you will have 9 new starters. OSU PSU MSU Iowa and UW all have better defenses. Someone mentioned how good they guys on D looked in spring ball. Well if we can use that in the debate then I will take Michigan's D too. They have better athletes and return more. Will Royston be 100% at any point in the season?

Yeah, because you can't tell a thing by actually watching a player. :rolleyes:

You can tell athleticness and speed from from spring practice. Of course there are other factors that you won't really find out until the season starts, but if we must wait before singing their praises, then we must also wait before singing a dirge.

4-5 wins.
Top 4 Defense in the conference? Based on what, that you will have 9 new starters. OSU PSU MSU Iowa and UW all have better defenses. Someone mentioned how good they guys on D looked in spring ball. Well if we can use that in the debate then I will take Michigan's D too. They have better athletes and return more. Will Royston be 100% at any point in the season?

Which athletes on Michigan's D are you claiming are better; and better than who. And please state your basis for making such a clam.

I will match Carter and Watkins against any other similarly situated players in the conference.

This has actually been a very good, optomistic, enjoyable to read thread. I agree that the defense has many players that have seen nearly starter type PT as a back up and even though we lost a lot of players, the back ups aren't all completely inexperienced. Offense can only get better and I think Weber will be better this year. I don't know why I think that and I have hated watching him play, but I think he will be better (god he better be). I also think that a freshmen running back will emerge and there will be some OL that play much better because Olsen and Michel are breathing down peoples necks and I think Davis is going to have a quick trigger with starters.

Also, i think it is nice that we are "under the radar". If we were to go 5-0 or 6-1 or something, we will get some much needed good publicity for actually achieving some things. Sometimes its nice to be the underdog.

What makes this gopher defense the most athletic defense in the history of the program? I actually laughed out loud when someone said that the Gopher defense is a top 3 defense in the conference. How do you figure this? Because Brewster recruited them? Because their Rivals profile says they are fast? Seriously, does this mean that every player OSU, UM, PSU, Iowa, UW, etc are without a doubt less athletic and worse than the players that the gophers have brought in?

With our size and depth on the D-line, I don't believe that they will be able to wear us down as in past years, as long as the offense is competent. Wisconsin's defense will not be as rugged as in past years so time of possesion will be more even.

The thing is that all the things people are saying in this thread in defense of the Gopher defense (new guys are more talented than the old guys, new guys have seen lots of playing time) can be said about the Badger defense.

Every fan base has the same problem. They think their guys are the only ones that practice between seasons and therefore improve. It seems the equation looks like this: (Our team from last year - our guys who left + our guys who are back and will be improved) > (Their team from last year - their guys who left)

Clearly preseason pundit predictions will be off in many cases. But going through detailed comparisons of your players this year to those of last year and then making broad statements about the opposition is not the way to prove them wrong.

The thing is that all the things people are saying in this thread in defense of the Gopher defense (new guys are more talented than the old guys, new guys have seen lots of playing time) can be said about the Badger defense.

Every fan base has the same problem. They think their guys are the only ones that practice between seasons and therefore improve. It seems the equation looks like this: (Our team from last year - our guys who left + our guys who are back and will be improved) > (Their team from last year - their guys who left)

Clearly preseason pundit predictions will be off in many cases. But going through detailed comparisons of your players this year to those of last year and then making broad statements about the opposition is not the way to prove them wrong.

Well, we can all agree that they did not completely out class or overpower us last year, yet their running game was quite effective. Our running game will likely improve significantly with Horton and the most experienced OLine in the Big Ten. The Wisky game will be very close again but I expect us to pull it out because our faster defense will not allow Tolzian (it looks like he is in pain when he runs) to scramble, if you want to call it that, for 50 yards on 3rd and long.

Well, we can all agree that they did not completely out class or overpower us last year, yet their running game was quite effective. Our running game will likely improve significantly with Horton and the most experienced OLine in the Big Ten. The Wisky game will be very close again but I expect us to pull it out because our faster defense will not allow Tolzian (it looks like he is in pain when he runs) to scramble, if you want to call it that, for 50 yards on 3rd and long.
That along with the increase is size at the DE positions and ability to rotate all along the DL should mitigate against Wiskys ability to wear us down.

What makes this gopher defense the most athletic defense in the history of the program? I actually laughed out loud when someone said that the Gopher defense is a top 3 defense in the conference. How do you figure this? Because Brewster recruited them? Because their Rivals profile says they are fast? Seriously, does this mean that every player OSU, UM, PSU, Iowa, UW, etc are without a doubt less athletic and worse than the players that the gophers have brought in?

No, not at all. In fact, I challenge you to find a quote that said the Gopher's D is a top 3 defense in the conference at this time or even this '10 season, even though they may well end up there with a little offensive help. Keep in mind MNbadgerguy, when you overstate your premise making it a false statement, your entire argument or comment can only be taken seriously as a joke.

That was a called boot and it was 2nd and 9. http://host.madison.com/app/interactive/tolzienTD/

I could see as few as 4 wins, as many as 9 wins (including bowl). Anything 3 or less and anything 10 or more (Including Bowl) would be a massive shock. I could see a lot of 4 win predictions being realistic. But 2 wins? That is nutty. Northern Illinois and SDSU are almost locks. Anyone who doesn't think the gophers can sneak another win out of MTSU, NU, MSU, IL, PU is nutty. If MN sweeps those 5 games, they could get lucky once and beat a good team. And then win a bowl (because they are probably playing in the Insight Bowl Regardless of record)....that would be 9 wins. Not unrealistic. The most unrealistic game out of those is Michigan State.....Minnesota beat them last year.

I agree with you on this. If they can find a way to win some games that always seem to be heartbreakers, 8 or 9 wins is possible. I would be shocked as well if there were 10 wins or 3 wins, and would be doubting Brewster keeps his job with less than 5 wins, maybe 6. If he wins 8 or more with a tough schedule, he deserves another extension, IMO...

I rip a lot of things about the football program, but I do respect Brew for scheduling USC.

Top Bottom