Are we really keeping all of these guys at TE?

Are there teams out there running the 4-5 TE sets (that are not wishbone or veer teams) that are getting tossed around in this thread? I think we might be getting just a little bit ahead of ourselves here in projecting all these guys as great players right out the gate. The good thing we have depth at the position but let's not go overboard with the concept of an offense loaded with TE's.

Actually, if these guys are as athletic as advertised, think of the deception and flexibility that Limegrover could have... Come out in a Jumbo package with 3 TE and 2 RB. The D will match up with a run heavy package. You line up in a normal power running formation and then shift into 3, 4 or 5 wide. Somebody is going to get a mismatch against a LB. Or you could run a sweep with those large bodies out there blocking against DBs. Or throw a bubble screen to Edwards/Jones with two 6-6 250+ blockers in front. Or if the D stays small, pound the rock.

This is an extreme example, but with serious athletes at TE, you get lots of formation/play flexibility to create & exploit mismatches. So I think it's possible that they all stay at TE. The did get 3 DEs in this class, so they aren't hurting for depth there. What a great problem to have...too many athletes and trying to figure out where they help us the most!

It could make for a very entertaining year - that's for sure!

What does a Tight end need to be good? Height, strength, a little speed, decent hands, size, and some athletic ability.

Take out tight end and say, "We signed a bunch of tall, strong, big, decent handed athletes who haven't even reached manhood yet."

I'll take all of the good ones we can handle.

Actually, if these guys are as athletic as advertised, think of the deception and flexibility that Limegrover could have... Come out in a Jumbo package with 3 TE and 2 RB. The D will match up with a run heavy package. You line up in a normal power running formation and then shift into 3, 4 or 5 wide. Somebody is going to get a mismatch against a LB. Or you could run a sweep with those large bodies out there blocking against DBs. Or throw a bubble screen to Edwards/Jones with two 6-6 250+ blockers in front. Or if the D stays small, pound the rock.

This is an extreme example, but with serious athletes at TE, you get lots of formation/play flexibility to create & exploit mismatches. So I think it's possible that they all stay at TE. The did get 3 DEs in this class, so they aren't hurting for depth there. What a great problem to have...too many athletes and trying to figure out where they help us the most!

To add to your point the WRs arent small either. Its very likely all the recievers will be 6'2"+ and 210+. There are going to be big bodies blocking regardless of the personnel. Thanks for pointing this out. Makes me excited for the future of the offense. I can see Kill's plan starting to come together.

To add to your point the WRs arent small either. Its very likely all the recievers will be 6'2"+ and 210+. There are going to be big bodies blocking regardless of the personnel. Thanks for pointing this out. Makes me excited for the future of the offense. I can see Kill's plan starting to come together.

Our QB isn't small either. Haha

No, because he was a freakish athlete at TE. At 6'6" at his age, he has the chance to be like Hageman. Do you not see this?

Hageman was recruited as a Tight End. He had also had played DE in High school.

As other posters have been saying and I've been saying for a long time, it wouldn't be shocking at all if Elmore ends up at DT. He has one of those gigantic frames that can athletically hold 310 lbs. This is a guy who could make a lot of money if he embraced such a move.

For instance, Hageman was 6'6" 250 lbs coming out of HS, Elmore is 6'6" 250 lbs. They have really similar frames and they really played a like in HS (I think Hageman was stronger but Elmore might be a better athlete at this point in his career).

Elmore's skillset also would be valuable at the end of the line, ala Drew Goodger.

As far as the other two, I think Gibson stays at TE behind Maxx and Wozniak.
Lingen is interesting as well, he's a big boy. If you look at those pictures of him at the social, you need to keep in mind that Mayes is ready to go RIGHT NOW (in terms of size). Lingen could easily put on 30-40 lbs over the course of a few years and fill into a OL. He could very well stay at TE as well.

He also runs VERY well....he can jump out of the gym in basketball (360 dunks) and still looks like a baby. Gopher fans are going to love him.

channel 18 out of Eau Claire is running a piece on Gaelin and some of the stuff he has overcome- Monday at 10, probably available on the web-site shortly after that
Stephen Kelley ‏@stephen_wqow · Feb 5
Somerset's @Elmore2014 signs on with @GopherFootball today. But his journey to D1 football was anything but ordinary: http://tinyurl.com/n6ax2bo

channel 18 out of Eau Claire is running a piece on Gaelin and some of the stuff he has overcome- Monday at 10, probably available on the web-site shortly after that
Stephen Kelley ‏@stephen_wqow · Feb 5
Somerset's @Elmore2014 signs on with @GopherFootball today. But his journey to D1 football was anything but ordinary: http://tinyurl.com/n6ax2bo

Players like him thrive under Jerry Kill. I am pretty certain that people who've helped him in his life see no doubt that he belongs in a program like the Gophers.

IMHO, all these TEs on the roster will be critical if we are to have a more balanced attack. We need to seal the corners, and create defensive nightmare matchups.

It is ironical that Nelson decides to transfer because I think there will be more passing than he'll ever know in the next couple of seasons with all the weapons that we are stockpiling.

I like all the TE's remember they are bigger and sure block a bunch but if you have them run a few patterns here and there it is nice to have fresh legs out there going against LB's that are out there all the time.

We have very capable TE's and they are now a strong area of the team!

Training table and the strength and conditioning program will have a lot to say about where these guys end up 4 years from now. They are athletic. It will be an exciting ride for all of us.

Athletic HS QBs and TEs are hard to go wrong with in recruiting. If a problem, it is our best problem!

I would like to add that I am excited at the character of the individuals coming into the program. Elmore stands tall in that department as do all the others. Let's get this play book opened up! Coach them up, Coach!

If all three stay at TE, I could see two getting redshirted this year and then us not recruiting a TE next year.

But the more than likely outcome IMO is that one or two will change positions at some point.

DL reports that Kill said Elmore could play TE, H back, or WR. I would suggest in the same game! There could make some CBs want to give up college football. That kind of stuff really can open up an offense.

Maxx is versatile, Gibson...

Figure in just how big our regular WOs are. A new world of Gopher Football on offense. BTW, I think we will run the ball some too.

With all the excitement about tight ends, it's important to remember that Maxx may be the best player on the team and would be a freak if he were to improve say 10% over the summer. That is not out of the realm of possibility. It's fun to go back to the film of Kill and Northern coming in here and running all over the Gophers. This is what our offense is going to look like this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiN22jCumYY

Top Bottom