Are we good at linebacker?

FWIW, I was listening to a recent episode of the Gopher Gridiron Radio podcast, and they went through all the position groups. The guests - who supposedly have some inside information - said that they expected the Gophers to target a few areas in the transfer portal, and LB was one of the areas they mentioned.

Hey, if you can get a guy like Gibbens who can step right in and be a solid contributor, go for it.

Recruiting is not an exact science. some guys just won't develop as planned, or they get derailed by injuries. if a position looks a little thin, that's where the portal can make a big difference.

Stating the obvious - if the coaches feel the players on the roster can do the job, they don't need to use the portal. So, if a team is bringing in players from the portal, that tells you that they think it was necessary.

Was Lindenberg hurt all of this year? I know they were high on him coming out and it's a shame if he didn't get the developmental reps in this year.

The guests - who supposedly have some inside information - said that they expected the Gophers to target a few areas in the transfer portal, and LB was one of the areas they mentioned.
Have we offered any linebackers that are in the portal???

Was Lindenberg hurt all of this year? I know they were high on him coming out and it's a shame if he didn't get the developmental reps in this year.

He played a few games and then they decided to redshirt him.

If MSM is coming back, then I would prefer not getting someone from the portal. The guys we have on the roster now should be able to play back up roles or push for more playing time. If MSM is gone, then taking a transfer would seem to be a good move for a more experienced player.
Also would think that if MSM is still here and they bring in another older LB, that we will see one or possibly two transfer out after the spring.

The linebacker unit is the least of the concerns for Rossi and Fleck. They may not have tons of experience but they all play special teams and they certainly have depth in numbers. Between spring ball and camp, someone will separate themselves behind Oliver and Sori-Marin from this group:
• Donald Willis (6'2" 215)
• Jaqwondis Burns (6'2" 220)
• Josh Aune (6'2" 235)
• Devon Williams (6'1" 220)
• Cody Lindenberg (6'3" 235)
• Lucas Finnessy (6'3" 240)

Top Bottom