Are the Gophers tooling up for the AK Era?

hungan1

Reaction score
PJ Fleck has two HS and two Portal Transfer WR commitments.

This is the post-Mo Era. They are shoring up for the new AK Air Raid.

I am excited for players like Brockington. Instead of 40-60 Pass/Run, they are possibly flipping the script to 60/40 Run/Pass.

I am excited for players like Brockington. Instead of 40-60 Pass/Run, they are possibly flipping the script to 60/40 Run/Pass.
Am I missing something or are these the same thing?

PJ 2019 is about as far we get, I think. I also think he's doing great in the portal. The .new additions clearly should make us better!

Remember when everyone was mad AK wasn’t better and wanted to see Kramer or Knuth? Now we add to a position of need and we’re loading up for a new era.

From 60 % Run to 60% Pass dominance.

From 60 % Run to 60% Pass dominance.

Whoa, Nelly. That won't happen. Not even close. PJ is building a solid competitive advantage with powerful lines, defense and ball control with a strong running game. The majority of college teams are not built to defend that anymore. The Gophs just need big improvement in the passing game to balance the offense, similar to 2019 and Fleck's 2016 WMU team.

Next thing you know we'll be running a hurry-up offense and daring the other teams to dominate possession and burn clock in between our chunk strikes, LOL. This could be both fun, and scary.

Next thing you know we'll be running a hurry-up offense and daring the other teams to dominate possession and burn clock in between our chunk strikes, LOL. This could be both fun, and scary.
I hope that doesn’t make into us assholes who complain about fake injuries and boo guys who are actually hurt…

The other teams QB will be forced to glance back and forth to the side line and snap the ball with two seconds on the play clock.

all depends on how strong the running game is in '23.

If the OL and the RB's can do something close to what Mo & Co. have done the last few years, then the Gophers are still going to be a run-first team.

But - if the OL isn't as strong at run blocking - or the new RB's can't come close to duplicating what Mo did - then I could see the Gophers going more to a 50/50 offense out of necessity.

Fleck may be stubborn, but he's not crazy. If throwing the ball gives the Gophers the best chance to win, they'll throw the ball.

Remember when everyone was mad AK wasn’t better and wanted to see Kramer or Knuth? Now we add to a position of need and we’re loading up for a new era.
I don't remember that...I remember a handful who thought Kramer was the next starter, the rest thought AK or Knuth.

I don't remember that...I remember a handful who thought Kramer was the next starter, the rest thought AK or Knuth.
Some of those in game threads were incredibly negative. Many posts about PJ needing to go to the portal for a QB, etc.

Let it play out. They’ll do what’s best to win.

His performance against Wisconsin opened up a lot of eyes, I think. He looked so poised and so complete out there. He played just fantastic.

Some of those in game threads were incredibly negative. Many posts about PJ needing to go to the portal for a QB, etc.
I will argue that o-line play and WR play were the major reason for both Morgan and AK's bad games this year. There were a few games where any QB would have struggled with the amount of time the o-line gave the QB to throw. Lack of separation and drops by receivers didn't help either.

We’re simply gearing up for an era of trying to duplicate 2019. Coaches know what it will take.

I will argue that o-line play and WR play were the major reason for both Morgan and AK's bad games this year. There were a few games where any QB would have struggled with the amount of time the o-line gave the QB to throw. Lack of separation and drops by receivers didn't help either.

The Purdue game was a microcosm of those issues. Their shooting the gaps and blitzing on D (through an o-line that didn't seam ready for it) made the importance of quick outlet passes to the slot, TE and RB important. I distinctly remember several drops from all those positions in key moments. Some of those drops completely changed the game.

I wish I knew about a stats site that tracked receiver drops. It would be interesting to compare teams.

Top Bottom