Are The Big Names Still Viable?

Duluthguy

Reaction score
The tea leaves seem to suggest that the big names have all been eliminated. The recent media lists of "top candidates" have no big names on them. Though, if we're told there's a good chance the new coach is on that list, there's also a chance that he isn't - which means the list is basically an educated guess.

There's also the fact that Maturi has spoken directly with Hoke, which would suggest that we are down to tier 2 guys. However, Hoke could be a fall back if things fall apart with any tier one guys.

Additionally, if a tier one guy is actually interested, this would be extremely guarded information. Any leaks and the tier one guy is likely to pull out. And, of course, he'd deny any interest until everything is pretty well set in stone.

I'm not saying there's a tier 1 guy out there. And I hope if we end up with a tier 2 guy everyone will rally behind him. (Remember, all tier 2 guys have shortcomings or they wouldn't be tier 2 guys.) I'm just saying that it's easy to make assumptions that may not be valid.

The tea leaves seem to suggest that the big names have all been eliminated. The recent media lists of "top candidates" have no big names on them. Though, if we're told there's a good chance the new coach is on that list, there's also a chance that he isn't - which means the list is basically an educated guess.

There's also the fact that Maturi has spoken directly with Hoke, which would suggest that we are down to tier 2 guys. However, Hoke could be a fall back if things fall apart with any tier one guys.

Additionally, if a tier one guy is actually interested, this would be extremely guarded information. Any leaks and the tier one guy is likely to pull out. And, of course, he'd deny any interest until everything is pretty well set in stone.

I'm not saying there's a tier 1 guy out there. And I hope if we end up with a tier 2 guy everyone will rally behind him. (Remember, all tier 2 guys have shortcomings or they wouldn't be tier 2 guys.) I'm just saying that it's easy to make assumptions that may not be valid.

The media is in the semi loop. If Urban Meyer wanted the job (for an unrealistic example) we would not hear leaks from Florida or Minnesota. The first we hear of it would be the day he was hired. I think the media reports are all real from legit sources but it doesn't mean there aren't stories or leaks for intentional smoke.

We were said to be negotiating with Sean Miller when we already had Tubby in the barn. That does not mean the Sean Miller leaks were bogus but they may have been meeting with other candidates just to keep the media busy until the ink was dry. Who knows.

There's also the fact that Maturi has spoken directly with Hoke, which would suggest that we are down to tier 2 guys.

Did Maturi stay to watch their practice or game planning for Saturday's game against UNLV?

You're giving the media more credit than I do, but you might be right. Interesting though. There's a story linked on the board this morning about Mullen who says that every year he was at Florida the media said that he was a top candidate for one job or another. Yet he says that in fact the only call he ever got was from the guy who hired him in his current job. The sports media make up so much stuff, it's difficult to know when they are really onto something and when they're not.

Any way, totally agree with the Urban Myer analogy, which basically means we can't really rule out anybody.

You're giving the media more credit than I do, but you might be right. Interesting though. There's a story linked on the board this morning about Mullen who says that every year he was at Florida the media said that he was a top candidate for one job or another. Yet he says that in fact the only call he ever got was from the guy who hired him in his current job. The sports media make up so much stuff, it's difficult to know when they are really onto something and when they're not.

Any way, totally agree with the Urban Myer analogy, which basically means we can't really rule out anybody.

He said he never received calls. They called his agent, not him. He isn't lying, just not telling the whole story.

I agree with you. It is also a known practice of schools speaking with more than one candidate/agent in a single city. Who knows, maybe representitives for Harbaugh or Mike Stoops also showed up in San Diego. You just never know how many different people they spoke with. Not sure you would just go to San Diego for one informal interview.

and it could all be smoke and the decision has already been sealed and they're waiting for the season to end and keeping up misdirection until the announcement

He said he never received calls. They called his agent, not him. He isn't lying, just not telling the whole story.

Technically you are right. In my book its a lie of omission.

Big name coach ?

What big name coach would come to the U when they do not know who is truly in charge anymore ? and add that Maturi and Mona get caught in Ca. Mason ran all over the country and no one knew about it til afterwards. Maturi will bungle this like he has every other hire, fire and..... oh by the way, Tubby's lawyer called Maturi ! Joel fell into that one. Don't be giving him credit for that one !

all the coaches in all the colleges and

If Maturi hires Hoke with his choice of anyone....I'll, I'll,I'll...well, I'll be really, really disappointed.

Hoke has been to like two bowls in eight years at a lower level. Brewster is a better candidate and I wanted him replaced by someone better.

Top Bottom