Are Norwood and Kill betting on big time seasons in the coming years?

Ole

Reaction score
The ticket stuff is fermenting in my mind, it gets better every day, it's still gonna suck life out of the stadium which will worsen my #1 priority which is the unique energy a college stadium can have. That will get worse through a combo of empty seats and more corporate seats. BUT the donations are tax deductable and the schedule is going to bring people in next year with wisky, Nebraska, TCU, and Michigan coming to town.

Is it possible though that Norwood has spoken to Kill and they expect the coming seasons to be big ones?

2015 I think we can expect another 8 win season, it's possible we could snipe another win or 2 at home from this season since our tougher games will be at home, and actually take care of business against the teams we should beat(no Illinois type loss).
Is the expectation now that Kill is sitting on a double digit win type season in the next 2 years?
2016 Potentially could be a really great one again just looking at the schedule, it's soft, the type of schedule wisky and iowa had this season.
If we're coming off 4 8-10 win seasons in 2017 it's possible this plan doesn't backfire as badly, especially if the new Viking stadium prices make ours look affordable.

The ticket stuff is fermenting in my mind, it gets better every day, it's still gonna suck life out of the stadium which will worsen my #1 priority which is the unique energy a college stadium can have. That will get worse through a combo of empty seats and more corporate seats. Is it possible though that Norwood has spoken to Kill and they expect the coming seasons to be big ones?
2015 I think we can expect another 8 win season, it's possible we could snipe another win or 2 at home from this season since our tougher games will be at home, and actually take care of business against the teams we should beat(no Illinois type loss).
Is the expectation now that Kill is sitting on a double digit win type season in the next 2 years?
2016 Potentially could be a really great one again just looking at the schedule, it's soft, the type of schedule wisky and iowa had this season.
If we're coming off 4 8-10 win seasons in 2017 it's possible this plan doesn't backfire as badly, especially if the new Viking stadium prices make ours look affordable.

This^^^^ is what I have been saying all along. This price is hike is Norwood betting his job on Kill's abilty to go the next level. Plus I think they are going to sell bonds for the facilities and need to prove added revenue for the U to approve it.

If they do not get 'Big Seasons' over the next 3 seasons, they are going to be standing palms up in an empty stadium in 2017.

If they do not get 'Big Seasons' over the next 3 seasons, they are going to be standing palms up in an empty stadium in 2017.

They really have moved the bar with this announcement. In my opinion, a 4-4 B1G year just went from "good for what we are used to" to an absolute garbage year. Therefore, they better not take a step back next year. If they are going to raise the bar with pricing, I'm raising my bar with expectations.

They really have moved the bar with this announcement. In my opinion, a 4-4 B1G year just went from "good for what we are used to" to an absolute garbage year. Therefore, they better not take a step back next year. If they are going to raise the bar with pricing, I'm raising my bar with expectations.

Agreed. I would say that a season that doesn't end with a bowl game is now absolutely unacceptable.

3-5 can be taken maybe once in a decade. 4-4 is a rebuilding year. But they better be winning 5,6, or 7 games regularly with these prices.

Agreed. I would say that a season that doesn't end with a bowl game is now absolutely unacceptable.

3-5 can be taken maybe once in a decade. 4-4 is a rebuilding year. But they better be winning 5,6, or 7 games regularly with these prices.

Honestly at this point any season without a bowl game would be unacceptable regardless of the ticket increase but I do agree that the bar is raised by charging these kind of prices and if they honestly expect people to show up and pay top dollar (in relation to the rest of the conference) then the team they are watching needs to perform at or near the top year in and year out.

My biggest fear with all of this is that if the team takes a step back in performance now it is going to lead to a very empty TCF bank stadium and that would be really disappointing. I never want to see us return to the days where a team like Wisconsin or Iowa can take over our home stadium the way they used to be able to in the dome. They still get a lot of fans into TCF but it is nothing like it used to be where at times it felt like a road game in the Metrodome due to all the visiting fans.

That's why I thought the announcement made more sense after one more good year. Continue the momentum and release the increases when you are in a much stronger position. PR has never been the forte at the U.

That's why I thought the announcement made more sense after one more good year. Continue the momentum and release the increases when you are in a much stronger position. PR has never been the forte at the U.

....and then replace "ski u mah" with "wait til next year". Wont be as easy to chant at the beginning of games but theyll make it work.

Time to be bold again. Was a big move to leave Memorial Stadium...it failed. Was a safe move to hire Gutey instead of Bobby Ross. It failed. Was a big move to ditch the Vikes and go it alone a decade ago, it worked. Was a HUGE move to hire a TE coach....it FAILED.

If it doesn't work, it won't be any different than any of the other bad decisions. If it does work, it could be MN's Shalala/Alvarez moment.

Ole, I agree. I just got off the phone with my brother with whom I split our tickets with and we have come a full 180 in the last day or two. I've been envious of other programs for years and now that we'll have to pay big bucks maybe that's the sign of getting there. I mentioned in another thread that now that we have to pay like the big programs I expect a higher return on investment. That includes:

1. A gameday atmosphere that isn't squashed by absurd regulations. Let us and especially the students have fun and embrace a successful programs party.
2. I want some cheerleaders, band members, and hopefully Goldy make it for a brief appearance to the St. Paul lot. We deserve to feel included in the gameday atmosphere. A lot of us there will and have paid a ton of money for this program.
3. Our facilities and other big-program luxuries need to be built/done. If we pay like Nebraska then we need to invest like Nebraska.
4. Our teams have to be near great/great on a consistent basis. 5+ wins in conference is a must year in year out.

Ole, I agree. I just got off the phone with my brother with whom I split our tickets with and we have come a full 180 in the last day or two. I've been envious of other programs for years and now that we'll have to pay big bucks maybe that's the sign of getting there. I mentioned in another thread that now that we have to pay like the big programs I expect a higher return on investment. That includes:

1. A gameday atmosphere that isn't squashed by absurd regulations. Let us and especially the students have fun and embrace a successful programs party.
2. I want some cheerleaders, band members, and hopefully Goldy make it for a brief appearance to the St. Paul lot. We deserve to feel included in the gameday atmosphere. A lot of us there will and have paid a ton of money for this program.
3. Our facilities and other big-program luxuries need to be built/done. If we pay like Nebraska then we need to invest like Nebraska.
4. Our teams have to be near great/great on a consistent basis. 5+ wins in conference is a must year in year out.

Got my game buddy to agree to go-in again next year. We'll see what happens the year after. He mentioned that we should start gambling to make-up the extra cost. Sounds like a good plan.

Got my game buddy to agree to go-in again next year. We'll see what happens the year after. He mentioned that we should start gambling to make-up the extra cost. Sounds like a good plan.

Gambling has been my retirement plan for years! Good thing I've still got some time.

wouldn't NT have to make this bet? If the new facilities aren't built Kill bolts and the team goes back to the bottom. If NT hasn't raised enough to build the new facilities to keep football competitive, then the U has to suggest they could cover any debt for new facilities with increased ticket sales - while at the same time continuing to try and raise more for facilities

has anyone run the numbers? what are we talking about? maybe $10M more per year? any price elasticity study by the U would be an interesting read

I like the Norwood/JK tandem. They both dream big and are gutsy.

JK will have the football program rocking for as long as he is the coach.

....and then replace "ski u mah" with "wait til next year". Wont be as easy to chant at the beginning of games but theyll make it work.

This is a splendid idea. I have always felt the guys in the west end zone have been left out of the "ski-u-mah" cheer. With this modest change, they will get their own word. Brilliant!

Top Bottom