AP: Gophers seeking bigger, stronger, better offensive line

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the AP:

The transition in head coaches at Minnesota from Jerry Kill to Tracy Claeys has been subtle, save for a contrast in personality and size.

Claeys had one big target for change, though. The offensive line needed to be restored as a power. "Road graders" was the label he used to describe the type of players desired up front.

Jonah Pirsig and the rest of the returners received the message after their 6-7 season a year ago.

"Offensive linemen have just really bought into the fact that we need to be bigger and we need to be stronger to kind of change the culture," the senior right tackle said, adding: "We're only going to see good things from that."

With junior college transfers Vincent Calhoun and Garrison Wright joining Pirsig in the starting five, the Gophers will be bigger. Obsessive work in the weight room over the winter and spring has drawn rave reviews, so the group is stronger. Will it be better?

"There's no question that they've made a lot of progress," Claeys said.

http://www.news8000.com/sports/gophers-seeking-bigger-stronger-better-offensive-line/41185008

Go Gophers!!

Why didn't Kill want better OL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Kill had a shortcoming it was having too much loyalty to his staff. The offensive line was an issue every game we played under Kill's leadership, yet he kept Limey on as both OC and O line coach. Claeys came in and selfishly decided he wanted to keep his job and asked himself what might prevent that. Clearly his conclusion was that the team's lack of offensive production would lead to his early departure so he did something about it.

So far, it looks like he may have made the correct decision.

If Kill had a shortcoming it was having too much loyalty to his staff. The offensive line was an issue every game we played under Kill's leadership, yet he kept Limey on as both OC and O line coach. Claeys came in and selfishly decided he wanted to keep his job and asked himself what might prevent that. Clearly his conclusion was that the team's lack of offensive production would lead to his early departure so he did something about it.

You are correct, Sir. Minnesota has had trouble with not having an offensive line coach. Even when Gordie Shaw was under Mason he coached the centers and guards and Mitch Browning was the Offensive Coordinator and some how Tony Peterson was the Passing Game Coordinator. It is best when there are clearly defined titles and responsiblities.

We can rebuild them. We have the technology.

This made me think of this old Jetsons episode.

JETSONS%2BFOOTBALL.png

Attachments

• JETSONS%u00252BFOOTBALL.jpg
    JETSONS%u00252BFOOTBALL.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 25

the offense will be the same as it was under JK run run run. If Demry or Seth get in there the QB run will be more effective and possibly change the offense but that is pretty much the only hope for a different offense.

the offense will be the same as it was under JK run run run. If Demry or Seth get in there the QB run will be more effective and possibly change the offense but that is pretty much the only hope for a different offense.
I think we forget how effective a healthy Mitch is as a runner. I'm hopeful he's able to bring that threat back. It will certainly help keep the defense honest and make it easier to find guys downfield.

I think we forget how effective a healthy Mitch is as a runner. I'm hopeful he's able to bring that threat back. It will certainly help keep the defense honest and make it easier to find guys downfield.

I'm more worried that the "healthy" won't last if we revert to 25% QB scramble for an offense.

Wrong again but as I said earlier we still love you!:banghead::horse::blah:

I'm more worried that the "healthy" won't last if we revert to 25% QB scramble for an offense.

AMEN. With how ML7 runs he takes big blows. Let's not forget he gets injured every year because of this.

I'm glad we made a change, but it's a little early to make this claim. Let's wait until we've played a few games.

I'm glad we made a change, but it's a little early to make this claim. Let's wait until we've played a few games.

No reason to wait. I read they now play nasty.

Top Bottom