Anyone who needs something positive: Rodney's dunk #1 on Sportscenter

Sorry if the answer to this question is obvious, but do they post the top 10 plays on espn.com or sportscenter.com? I can never seem to find them when I look.

The dunk was great but why?

Dunno guys. I saw that as showing up a team that we have problems with on senior night. Great personal highlight. From about that point on they destroyed us.

Dunno guys. I saw that as showing up a team that we have problems with on senior night. Great personal highlight. From about that point on they destroyed us.

I actually had the same thought about Michigan dominating from that point on, although Rodney didn't scream, point, pound his chest or any of the antics that dunkers usually use to rub it in.

So, you guys think if Rodney had just made a simple layup there that Michigan somehow wouldn't have played as well the rest of the way? Serious?

The domination had started before that dunk. In fact, Michigan had just completed a 14-to-5 run right before that dunk.

I hope we did not hurt their feelings!! gosh!!!

So, you guys think if Rodney had just made a simple layup there that Michigan somehow wouldn't have played as well the rest of the way? Serious?

No, I think it was pure coincidence. I stated he did nothing to rub it in. I just found it odd from that point on, Michigan dominated. Just making an observation, sorry if I made it sound differently.

I hope we did not hurt their feelings!! gosh!!!

It's a part of today's game. I don't have a problem with that. I simply question doing that on someone else's floor ( one ) and doing it on a senior night ( two ). Would the outcome had been the same? I'm sure it would have. But why give them the extra motivation?

I'm excited as hell by the way for Rodney to really start to develop. He is amazing.

Cool dunk by Rodney. I guess if it were a baseball game though he would have gotten the next pitch in the ribs. Maybe that just epitomized the whole night. Was it like the Indiana game and they thought they could come in and play an average game and beat Michigan last night? I am looking forward to Williams getting some serious minutes. He's going to be a really, really, good player.

Shouldn't that dunk have inspired his own team and gave them a lift? If it only spurred Michigan, then we got some real issues here. If I was a teammate, that fires me up big time. That dunk shoulda been the starting point of a nice run, not a complete collapse lol.

If that dunk was worth 25 points, the Gophers still lose. Ouch.

It was worth 2 points. Sure the bench celebrated, but it didn't boost the energy and intensity of squad on the floor at all.

Great dunk, tremendous athlete but I wish he would stop firing up threes and work on the 18' jumper.

Shouldn't that dunk have inspired his own team and gave them a lift? If it only spurred Michigan, then we got some real issues here. If I was a teammate, that fires me up big time. That dunk shoulda been the starting point of a nice run, not a complete collapse lol.

Exactly. We've seen other teams do that us for years. We finally have a player who can do that and now we're debating when and where it's okay to dunk? On his way to the basket Rodney is supposed to consider that it's senior night? Seriously?

I hate showboating. It's ruining my pleasure of all sports. I would feel differently if Rodney had celebrated like Dwayne Rudd used to after a tackle on a 15-yard first down run. But he did it and ran back to play defense. Dunking -- and highlight reel dunking -- are part of the game and have been for 40 years. A dunk like that usually fires up a team and a crowd (or silences a crowd). I guess his teammates didn't get the message. Maybe they felt bad for the Michigan seniors.

Yeah I think it's bogus to even question Rodney on this. We just got the number 1 play on sportscenter. Now some oldtimers want to question where and why he did it. Bogus, I would encourage Rodney to do that same dunk no matter the situation. Senior night? Their home floor? Come on now, you can't do special dunks on the opposing floors? Bogus!!!!!!!!

Now some oldtimers

As my youngest will be a HS senior next year and my fragile midlife condition would dictate I would usually be offended at that remark. However, I seem to be resembling it lately, and have taken on a more grizzled, greying, appearance.

I wonder - do people in their in their early to mid twenties think someone in their mid 40's is an oldtimer?

Did I?

My memory isn't that good anymore. :eek:

As my youngest will be a HS senior next year and my fragile midlife condition would dictate I would usually be offended at that remark. However, I seem to be resembling it lately, and have taken on a more grizzled, greying, appearance.

I wonder - do people in their in their early to mid twenties think someone in their mid 40's is an oldtimer?

Did I?
My memory isn't that good anymore. :eek:

Blizzard, the answer to the first question is yes. The answer to the second is probably.

I'm 44, so it sounds like we're pretty close in age. When I was 23 I went to a birthday party for a friend's sister, who was turning 30. I thought she was ancient and just about ready to die. Now she's 51. She doesn't seem that old to me anymore.

Is being #1 on the SportsCenter Top 10 Plays of the Day one of the criteria for the NCAA Selection Committee?

I'm 44, so it sounds like we're pretty close in age. When I was 23 I went to a birthday party for a friend's sister, who was turning 30. I thought she was ancient and just about ready to die. Now she's 51. She doesn't seem that old to me anymore.

We are. It is amazing how perceptions change over the years isn't it? The older gals seem not so old and the younger ones all seem like my daughters age. ( 20 ).

You'll know you're getting older when this occurs. ...

when you see an attractive mom with her attractive daughter and it's the mom that catches your eye the most. I'm soon-to-be 45, and I'd say that transformation occured when I was about 33 or 34.

Is being #1 on the SportsCenter Top 10 Plays of the Day one of the criteria for the NCAA Selection Committee?

No, but it is nice to see a Gopher do something that garnered national praise. Not at the level of the shaved heads story, but still something positive for all to see.

So we've got that going for us...which is nice...

showin, you're on the Rodney bandwagon now??? i thought he was a 'deer in headlights' just this past weekend.. and what of Hoff?... closed out well on those shooters last night.

+1... I'm sure Westbrook was pissed off because of his jealously since he can barely touch the rim.

I thought Rodney had quality minutes against Michigan. I hope he see's more playing time and starts next year. He does things no one else on this team can do and I'm not talking about break away slams.

showin, you're on the Rodney bandwagon now??? i thought he was a 'deer in headlights' just this past weekend.. and what of Hoff?... closed out well on those shooters last night.
Not on any bandwagon...thought people would like to know his dunk was on Sportscenter...that's all.

RW still has a LONG ways to go. He's been like a deer in headlights most of the year...I don't think many will dispute that. The entire team didn't close out on shooters last night...but I'd say the majority of the shots were hit over LW and Carter, based on a majority of the lapses I saw.

Rodney is going to be one of the best defenders in the Big Ten, if not the best. Once he gets more confidence and starts taking it to the rim more and develops a mid-range pull up he is going to be a nightmare to defend as well. Can't wait to see him develop.

Dumb.

Have you ever played basketball? That's really what you saw the dunk as? Interesting...

Top Bottom