Anyone know exactly how B1G Bowl selection process changes starting next year?

stevedave23

Reaction score
I'm particularly interested to know if this is the end of the Gophers getting screwed over by the bowl reps because someone else has a stronger fan base.

I've read several articles alluding to the fact that bowl reps and sponsors will no longer be choosing teams and that the conferences will play the major roles.

Does anyone know exactly how the process will work?

On a related note I was simply disgusted to see Michigan fail to show up for a bowl they didn't deserve to play in last night. I realize to fringe fans these minor bowls mean almost nothing but to strong fans the difference between going to Florida for a new year's day bowl or Houston, TX two days after Christmas is a big deal. It also has an affect on recruiting.

For the love of god just have the teams play in the bowl they earned according to the final conference standings.

Who knows? If it comes to pecking order in any sense other than conference standings, we'll always be the team nobody wants. Why? I need only point to the recent Texas Bowl. No fans in the stands and a team that consistently pees down it's own leg in bowl games. There is absolutely no draw for us at any bowl really. Maybe the Big Ten will help out, but that's the only way we won't continue to be the team left out of bigger bowls when all is said and done.

I read a blog or something about it, and I think they're doing some sort of tiered placement process. Like the top three teams in the conference have to go to the top 3 bowls, and then the next three or four go to the next tier of bowls. Keep in mind that I barely even read the article, so I could be wrong by just assuming what they meant by it. That's all I've been able to find about it.

The new bowl agreements are in tiers:

Rose vs. Pac-12 (8 times over 12 years)
Orange vs. ACC (3 times over 12 years)
Pinstripe vs. ACC (every year)

Jim Delany wants variety for the schools so the bowls must select five different teams over a six-year period, and the league will have final say over which teams go to which bowls. If this system had been in place this year, the Gophers probably would've been in the Gator Bowl.

Who knows? If it comes to pecking order in any sense other than conference standings, we'll always be the team nobody wants. Why? I need only point to the recent Texas Bowl. No fans in the stands and a team that consistently pees down it's own leg in bowl games. There is absolutely no draw for us at any bowl really. Maybe the Big Ten will help out, but that's the only way we won't continue to be the team left out of bigger bowls when all is said and done.

In all honesty, I don't think any Big Ten team was going to draw fans to the Texas bowl. Maybe Michigan or Nebraska would have done a little bit better, only because they have a larger fanbase nationwide so there would be more fans in the area, but really, going to Houston two days after Christmas isn't going to appeal to very many people, regardless of who was playing. Just look at some of these other games - a lot of empty seats out there.

The new bowl agreements are in tiers:

Rose vs. Pac-12 (8 times over 12 years)
Orange vs. ACC (3 times over 12 years)
Pinstripe vs. ACC (every year)

Jim Delany wants variety for the schools so the bowls must select five different teams over a six-year period, and the league will have final say over which teams go to which bowls. If this system had been in place this year, the Gophers probably would've been in the Gator Bowl.

One small change to the above is to note that the B1G or SEC will be in the Orange Bowl at least 3 times over 12 years. It can be more. It's based on final rankings and considering that the B1G and SEC must be in a minimum of 3 times each and that Notre Dame can push one of the leagues out up to 2 times over those 12 years if they rank higher. But no minimum number for ND.

Top Bottom