Anyone else see Myron's Twitter?

What Up Guy

Reaction score
"I'm so glad I attach my name to everything I write. Message boards are safe havens for cowards who criticize while using fake names. MPM."

Looks like he has been reading some of your comments!

Hahaha that is hilarious. I would be ashamed to put my name to the things he writes, what an IDIOT!!

The way some people on this board go beyond critiquing writing or reporting, I tend to agree with him.

Hahaha very professional Myron. I wouldn't expect anything less from him. Unless we're pretty famous in MN, using our name as a username means nothing to everyone. All it would do is make the names on here less interesting.

Maybe if he would start getting his facts right, he wouldn't be subject to so much criticism. From what I've seen, that's basically why he gets himself in trouble, and as far as I'm concerned, I haven't really seen anyone go overboard on here critiquing him.

Criticizing him is unnecessary, pointless, and in poor taste IMO even on an anonymous message board. Criticizing some of the things he writes, however, is fair game. (No: "He is a bad writer." Yes: "That was bizarre, or worse, for him to write that 'it was "interesting" [Tubby Smith] was not considered for the Wolves job.")

The problem I have with some of Medcalf's pieces, maybe many of his pieces, is that there are a lot of subtleties that reflect a lack of knowledge about the Gophers and their history, and even some statements that reflect less knowledge about the current team than many fans. I suppose the problem is that this board is filled with fans who have passionately followed the Gophers for 10, 20, 30 years, while some Strib/PP writers like Medcalf are trained journalists but probably only vaguely familiar with the team before they joined the Strib.

The problem I have with some of Medcalf's pieces, maybe many of his pieces, is that there are a lot of subtleties that reflect a lack of knowledge about the Gophers and their history, and even some statements that reflect less knowledge about the current team than many fans. I suppose the problem is that this board is filled with fans who have passionately followed the Gophers for 10, 20, 30 years, while some Strib/PP writers like Medcalf are trained journalists but probably only vaguely familiar with the team before they joined the Strib.

Isn't that the point though...if I was working at a Ford dealership and didn't know shit about Fords...would I be doing my job? Myron is a jackass because he covers our sports teams' and is ridiculously uninformed or misinformed....plus he writes like a high school copy boy...but that is a different discussion.

Isn't that the point though...if I was working at a Ford dealership and didn't know shit about Fords...would I be doing my job? Myron is a jackass because he covers our sports teams' and is ridiculously uninformed or misinformed....plus he writes like a high school copy boy...but that is a different discussion.

I guess that would depend on what you are supposed to do at the Ford dealership.....are you selling cars? Do you work in the body shop? Are you the janitor? Before you say somebody else writes like a high school copy boy, you should probably brush up on your own skills.

"I'm so glad I attach my name to everything I write. Message boards are safe havens for cowards who criticize while using fake names. MPM."

Looks like he has been reading some of your comments!

MYRON is a typo. His real first name is MORON. He accidentally typed Y instead of O and it stuck.

MYRON is a typo. His real first name is MORON. He accidentally typed Y instead of O and it stuck.

It is one thing to hijack threads and argue with The Truth about Kentucky basketball/racism/whatever, but it is quite another to subject this board to such an awful attempt at humor. Banning you may be a bit extreme, but shouldn't FOT get a timeout for that joke? Do we have to put up with this? Can somebody on the GH stafff let me know what the rules are in this case?

It is one thing to hijack threads and argue with The Truth about Kentucky basketball/racism/whatever, but it is quite another to subject this board to such an awful attempt at humor. Banning you may be a bit extreme, but shouldn't FOT get a timeout for that joke? Do we have to put up with this? Can somebody on the GH stafff let me know what the rules are in this case?

Myron is terrible, an idiot, a lazy jouranalist, incompetent. Like those better?

He is atrocious.

My take on his tweet is that he is not a very diplomatic journalist; unprofessional imo

What makes anybody think he's referring to this message board? He does make a bit of a point too doesn't he? Isn't it easier to say something outlandish when you're name isn't associated with it?

"He is the worst big city sports journalist I've ever read."

At least no one can accuse Myron of being the world's biggest brown nose. That title has already been claimed.

So Myron never posts anywhere on other topics under a pseudonym? Never? Right.

How brave it is that he writes under his own name in a paid position.

Good for Myron, how can anyone blame him the way he is attacked for pretty much everything he writes.

I never really have attacked Myron, although I think his work is pretty shoddy, BUT...

I would think that by his "tweet" he is doing more harm, his acknowledgment of message board slams against him just encourages the behavior and lets people know he gets riled up about it, which is, sadly, what a handful of people on this board get pleasure out of.

Good for Myron, how can anyone blame him the way he is attacked for pretty much everything he writes.

Nobody can blame him for being upset. Although, you'd hope he would begin to recognize the situation and start to figure out that maybe he is doing something wrong. I don't know how you can say good for him when he Tweets something ridiculous like that. He just looks childish and unprofessional. Part of your job as a writer is taking criticism. That's what happens when newspapers become available online. Tons of writers get attacked on the website of their newspaper. I may be wrong, but I'd guess that most of them don't go Tweeting crying about it. Not only is he a terrible writer who's lazy and prints obviously incorrect facts, now he cries about it when people call him out.

And as said before, he writes for the newspaper (somehow) so it's not like he has a choice whether to attach his name to his crap articles. Hard to believe he gets paid for the work he does, especially with the economy like this where so many writers are losing their job.

I'd be inclined to think that Myron is responding to some of the comments made on his blog and/or his articles. The comments section on the Strib's blogs and articles can be pretty toxic and there seems to be some renewed willingness by their writers to push back a bit.

I think much of the criticism about Myron really should be directed at the Star Tribune. I got the feeling that many hardcore Gopher fans were upset that the Star Tribune assigned the Gophers Basketball beat to an unknown and unproven (at least to Gopher fans) young writer. We had Jeff Shelman on the beat who seemed to be genuinely well liked and most Gopher fans appreciated his coverage of the team.

I think the criticism of Myron has been over the top, though I would like to see more informative articles and blog posts from him. It would be nice to have the beat reporter break some recruiting news or to get an interview with Westrbrook about his reported offseason transformation as opposed to a quote from his father.

In short, I think Myron is learning to be the beat reporter of a high major basketball team in a large market, while on the job. The Star Tribune chose to go with a younger writer who could turn out to excellent one day, but is probably not at the level many Gopher fans expect right now.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed Myron's article on the Gopher football receiving corps from a couple days ago.

Top Bottom