Anyone care that Michigan lined up in the neutral zone on the last play?

Reaction score
c4ccab93bed6f3bc9d0b58a1f6627939.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were numerous plays Michigan was offsides by a split second. I don't believe they were ever called.

Of course I care. Minnesota is lined up well behind the ball as they are supposed to.

They only got away with about 6 Pass Interference calls all game...

There was definitely a B1G push to keep Mich in the top 15.

If I had any faith the coaching staff knew what was going on at this point in the game, I would be more upset. Alas, they didn't and therefore, I don't.

Not that it matters, but I am curious why the Gophers went with a full house backfield on that play. If you are going to run a QB sneak, why have 3 eligible players lined up behind the QB? It seems like that would be one of the more difficult formations to successfully run a sneak out of (everyone in tight, 3 players behind the guy who will carry the ball).

I guess its annoying, but not as annoying as running 17 seconds off the clock when there are only 19 seconds left, and you have a timeout.

but, Claeys would "do it all over again," I guess.

Not that it matters, but I am curious why the Gophers went with a full house backfield on that play. If you are going to run a QB sneak, why have 3 eligible players lined up behind the QB? It seems like that would be one of the more difficult formations to successfully run a sneak out of (everyone in tight, 3 players behind the guy who will carry the ball).

Just more evidence of awful in game coaching.

also, how are we to know that player didnt get back onsides before the snap?

Winner.

Apparently nobody else noticed that the center moved the nose of the football forward of the LOS and the back end is on the line. The LOS is at the half yard mark not mere inches from the goal line. Officials I guess allow the center to do this as long as the part of the ball that is on the ground is at the LOS. All Mich players are clearly lined behind the line. Conclusion: There were several plays where the refs deserve scrutiny. The last play of game wasn't one of them.

Would've been cool to see them run the option a la Cupito vs Purdue

Gophers should have kicked the ball, period. Running into a brick wall that is no. 2 in the nation against the run, stacked to stop us, was a dumb call. Kids deserved better. Public deserved better. The jug deserved better. Get the points, go into overtime and win the damn thing in overtime.

they lined up offsides all game long

horrible game by the refs

The LOS is the 1/2 yard line, behind the back point of the ball in this shot - the center had moved it forward (I think centers do this all the time). You have to go back to where they spotted it after the Wolitarsky catch to know where the LOS is supposed to be. The Michigan guy on the far end of the LOS is close to the neutral zone but still well inside the 1/2 yard line.

Gophers should have kicked the ball, period. Running into a brick wall that is no. 2 in the nation against the run, stacked to stop us, was a dumb call. Kids deserved better. Public deserved better. The jug deserved better. Get the points, go into overtime and win the damn thing in overtime.

Absolutely not. The chances of us gaining a half yard on that play were much better than out chances of beating them on OT, period.

I guess its annoying, but not as annoying as running 17 seconds off the clock when there are only 19 seconds left, and you have a timeout.

but, Claeys would "do it all over again," I guess.

Do it all over again referring to the last play, not the last 19 seconds.

I don't understand why the OL lines up a yard behind the ball on this play. DL has a yard to gain leverage. This camera angle could be a foot off skewing this image.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely care and Michigan got away with a number of holds/PI from their DBs all night as well. Bottom line though is you got the ball on the half yard line with 19 seconds left you have to find a way to get into the end zone and win that game.

On the 2nd to last play that took far too long, was it okay for the Michigan defender to hold Lingen (the play's target) since he was within 5 yards of LOS? He was not able to break to the left to receive the pass.

Absolutely not. The chances of us gaining a half yard on that play were much better than out chances of beating them on OT, period.

Idk. I'm not gonna say kicking the field goal was unquestionably the right decision to make, because that seems like 20/20 hindsight, but we did have momentum from a long drive and we were playing against their backup quarterback.

That was my thought last night too. But on my way home I remembered they were using their back up QB... and i started to like our chances in OT a little better.

I've have been critical of Mitch but he's had it coming this year. This game though, Mitch was excellent. He's was accurate, had some heat behind the throws. Hats off to Mitch, he deserved that win last night.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

They only got away with about 6 Pass Interference calls all game...

There was definitely a B1G push to keep Mich in the top 15.

Why is it that Michigan and Ohio State defensive backs can get away with muggings of receivers (holds and outright interference) when on the other side of the ball their receivers must not be touched?

This has been going on for years.
Look at the hold on this play (no flag)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7WA5tAWhz8

It seems that some teams are favored this way.

I don't understand why the OL lines up a yard behind the ball on this play. DL has a yard to gain leverage. This camera angle could be a foot off skewing this image.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For the same reason people think Michigan was offside. Moore had the ball 18 inches in front of the LOS.

That was my thought last night too. But on my way home I remembered they were using their back up QB... and i started to like our chances in OT a little better.

Michigan was just much stronger in the RZ than we were last night. We repeatedly settled for FG's and they repeatedly got TD's. Did not like our chances in OT.

Not sure but the idea might be to have them push to qb in from behind. Obviously it didnt work though.

I've have been critical of Mitch but he's had it coming this year. This game though, Mitch was excellent. He's was accurate, had some heat behind the throws. Hats off to Mitch, he deserved that win last night.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I would grade him b or b plus at best. He missed a wide open te that may have been a td, missed other targets badly at times and nearly had a pick six. He was good enough to win but not excellent.

I would grade him b or b plus at best. He missed a wide open te that may have been a td, missed other targets badly at times and nearly had a pick six. He was good enough to win but not excellent.

I also think the receivers didn't help him at times. The announcers criticized Leidner for his throw to Maye in the end zone when he was double teamed, but if Maye gets his left arm around, he has a good chance of catching it. Not sure if Leidner meant to throw it to his back shoulder, but it could have been caught for a TD. Then there was one later on to Wolitarsky in the end zone where I think he could have caught it if he had gone up to get the ball instead of waiting for it to come to him. Instead the pass was broken up.

Top Bottom