Anyone attend open practice today?

WriterGoph

Reaction score
Tony's tweets and pics in the other thread are great, but hoping for some additional perspectives.

If so, care to share any details, highlights or stories from the day?

I wasn't there, but is sounds like Carroll was good in the run game, but had problems blocking for the pass. (right tackle)

I am hoping it's a slow comeback from the knee. I want this guy to win the job and dominate.

Per STrib:

Ibrahim and Potts look sharp: Running backs Mohamed Ibrahim (Achilles' tendon) missed all but one game last season, while versatile backup Trey Potts (undisclosed injury) missed the final eight. Both were impressive Saturday, running hard and taking contact during the first day of full pads in training camp. Both also wore padded helmet caps for extra protection.

"They're just happy to be on the field and they never take a day for granted,'' Fleck said. "… To see what they've been through and then see it on the field and see the smile on their faces, that's refreshing.''

Wright impresses again: Autman-Bell has been the Gophers top receiver over the past two seasons, and through the small sample size of spring practice and training camp, sophomore Dylan Wright could develop into a second go-to wideout. At a lean and explosive 6-3 and 210 pounds, Wright certainly looks the part, and Saturday the Texas A&M transfer made a spectacular sideline grab on an out pattern.

"There's going to be plays that you're going to miss out on, but he is there, he's not beat himself up,'' quarterback Tanner Morgan said. "He's responding. He's going to work. And it's been awesome to see his growth.''

It was T-Time's time: Fifth-year senior defensive back Terell Smith was a highlight machine Saturday, breaking up at least four passes during team drills. On one long sideline route, Smith knocked the ball away from Autman-Bell just before the receiver could catch the pass. "T-Time, shout out to him,'' Autman-Bell said with a laugh.

Battle is on at RT: Four-fifths of the Gophers offensive line appears to be penciled in with Aireontae Ersery at left tackle, Axel Ruschmeyer at left guard, John Michael Schmitz at center and Michigan transfer Chuck Filiaga at right guard.

Right tackle is up for grabs, with Martes Lewis, JJ Gudet and Notre Dame transfer Quinn Carroll vying for the job. "It's competitive,'' Fleck said, "really competitive.''

Overall, Fleck likes the work he has seen so far.

"When you've got a really committed team, you can raise the bar and they come up to it every time,'' he said. "And that's what they've done for six straight days."

Go Gophers!!

If Wright can be a true #2 to CrAB, or even become #1-B to CrAB's #1-A, then this team can be a lot more interesting on offense.

I saw a post somewhere about the depth on the D-Line. might have been from Liebert. talked about being 3-deep at each position.

By ANDY GREDER | [email protected] | Pioneer Press
PUBLISHED: August 6, 2022 at 7:22 p.m. | UPDATED: August 6, 2022 at 7:31 p.m.
The heights of the Gophers football team in 2022 will likely ride on how well they are able to replace departures along the offensive and defensive lines.
At Big Ten Media Days in Indianapolis, Fleck had a number at the ready: 181, the number of starts lost along the O-line from last season. That’s the total from four mainstays: Daniel Faalele, Blaise Andries, Sam Schlueter and Conner Olson.
After Saturday’s first open practice of fall camp, some clarity was apparent in how they will replace them going forward. Obviously, returning starting center John Michael Schmitz, a preseason All-America honoree, anchors the group.

Left tackle Aireontae Ersery, whom head coach P.J. Fleck said has NFL upside, is the newcomer closest to having his name written in pen on the depth chart. Axel Ruschmeyer and Michigan transfer Chuck Filiaga can be written in pencil at the guard spots.

There remains a blank at right tackle. Martes Lewis and Notre Dame transfer Quinn Carroll rotated at that spot Saturday, with J.J. Guedet not participating in the three-man competition after having surgery on an unspecified injury. Fleck said weeks ago Guedet would be limited at the start of camp.
On the defensive side, Minnesota lost six of the top players, according to 2021 snap counts, for this season. Those departures start with second-round NFL draft pick Boye Mafe.
That D-Line depth chart, outside of incumbent starting end Thomas Rush and tackle Trill Carter, is more of a carousel.
“We are deeper on the D-Line than we’ve ever been,” Fleck said Saturday. “Instead of having eight guys, we might have 11 guys (in the rotation). It’s going to be hard to say these are just the starters. … We are going to have a lot of guys that start.
The Gophers brought in three transfers: Lorenza Surgers (Vanderbilt), Darnell Jefferies (Clemson) and Kyler Bush (Houston Baptist). Jefferies was the quietest of the three newcomers on Saturday.

The Gophers emphasized D-Line additions in recent recruiting classes, and it could lead to more toss-ups on the depth chart. They could be divided only by an “or” between names.
“Not O-A-R-S,” Fleck said, referencing the Row the Boat mantra.

TIME FOR TERELL​

Gophers fifth-year cornerback Terell Smith had a handful of pass breakups in Saturday’s practice and was often covering the U’s best wideout, Chris Autman-Bell.
“T-Time is probably the best player he has been since he’s been here,” Autman-Bell said. “Playing against him every day, I love it. It’s competition. It gets me better every day. He’s a huge corner, almost 6-(foot)-1, 6-2 and super physical.”
Smith played 11 games as a true freshman in 2018, but has played in only 13 games in the last three years combined. He got more of an opportunity Saturday with transfer cornerback Beanie Bishop not participating in team drills.
One of Smith’s batted balls drew a shout of “yeah!” from Fleck.

LB COMPETITION​

Outside of right tackle, the linebacker spot next to Mariano Sori-Marin is the richest competition in fall camp. During Saturday’s session, Cody Lindenberg made the biggest splash play.
During a live segment, the U set up a third-and-two situation, and Lindenberg stuffed running back Jordan Nubin short of a first down. Braelen Oliver and Josh Aune are Lindenberg’s primary competition, Fleck has said.

BRIEFLY​

Receiver Daniel Jackson did not practice Saturday. “The medical team decided to keep him in the locker room (Saturday),” Fleck said. “He practiced (Friday).” … Fans donated more than 9,000 diapers and wipes for families in need for the program’s annual drive during fall camp. … Offensive linemen Cameron James, Tyrell Lawrence and defensive lineman Trey Bixby were also out of Saturday’s practice. … The Gophers had their first full-pad practice Saturday; they reported to camp.

If Wright can be a true #2 to CrAB, or even become #1-B to CrAB's #1-A, then this team can be a lot more interesting on offense.

I saw a post somewhere about the depth on the D-Line. might have been from Liebert. talked about being 3-deep at each position.
To be honest, I think CrAB is at his best as a #2 guy, where he gets to exploit a less-athletic, not-top-cover DB. If Wright can start to draw more attention, I think CrAB will be the biggest beneficiary.

A strong final season from T Smith would go a long, long ways towards helping this defense be successful. And very excited to see what kind of player Dixon is developing into, it sounds like he has the potential to be an impact player

To be honest, I think CrAB is at his best as a #2 guy, where he gets to exploit a less-athletic, not-top-cover DB. If Wright can start to draw more attention, I think CrAB will be the biggest beneficiary.
Couldn't you say that about any receiver? Wouldn't Wright benefit from playing against the not-top DB too?

Bullish on Eastern and Booker, both highly rated and have the size and the tools to be really good. I think they will definitely be getting in the rotation and will be fun to see what they can do. Sounds like this team is making believers out of some in the media. I like many others on here, and Coach Fleck for that matter think they underachieved last year. Would be nice to overachieve for once and this could be that year…let’s GO GOPHERS!!! Clap clap clap clap clap!!!

Is Eastern playing DE or DT? Maybe both?

Top Bottom