Anybody watching USFL? (are there any Gophers in the league?)

Wait…indoor football is back?
Also:

The pay structure is simple and even across the board. All the players receive the same amount of money as a base salary, with the only changes coming based on whether teams win and whether players are on the roster for the games.

Just how will the pay system in the new football league work? The Sporting News breaks it down.

MORE: When does the USFL season start in 2022?

USFL salary structure​

• Average salary: $45,000
  • Weekly paycheck: $4,500
According to USFL News, players will earn $4,500 per week that they are on the active roster. They would earn $1,500 per week that they are on the practice squad and $600 per week that they are at training camp.

That would mean that over the course of a full season, which lasts 10 weeks, players who are on the active roster can expect to make at least $45,000. Players on the practice squad for an entire campaign would make $15,000.

MORE: Teams, rosters, schedule, rules & more for the 2022 USFL reboot

USFL bonuses​

• Victory bonus: $850
  • Championship bonus: $10,000

It's not arena league. It is real football just not the NFL. As people might remember USFL had some good talent back in the day Steve Young and Hearshel Walker came from the original league.

IFL and USFL are two totally different things. The IFL has been around for 15 years and basically succeeded the Arena League.

I went to an IFL game a few weeks ago (free tickets, what the hell). The thing that struck me was how horrible the officiating was. I guess when you think about it, just like when the football talent gets watered down as you move down the levels of competition, one should also expect a diminished quality of officiating as well. Wowzers...

Moderately entertaining (for free), and no qualms about leaving before the game was decided.

I went to an IFL game a few weeks ago (free tickets, what the hell). The thing that struck me was how horrible the officiating was. I guess when you think about it, just like when the football talent gets watered down as you move down the levels of competition, one should also expect a diminished quality of officiating as well. Wowzers...

Moderately entertaining (for free), and no qualms about leaving before the game was decided.

Interestingly, I have a buddy who is rated the top official in the B12 nearly every year, has officiated 2 national title games etc. He’s on track to be an NFL official and all of the top officials in P5 are officiating the new USFL in Mobile. So at least that league should have high end officiating, though I imagine IFL are D2/3 college officials.

Go Gophers!!

USFL playing all their games in Birmingham? Weird.

Interestingly, I have a buddy who is rated the top official in the B12 nearly every year, has officiated 2 national title games etc. He’s on track to be an NFL official and all of the top officials in P5 are officiating the new USFL in Mobile. So at least that league should have high end officiating, though I imagine IFL are D2/3 college officials.

Go Gophers!!
Interesting! I have a buddy/client who is a PAC-12 Linesman who's also rated pretty highly every year, did the CFP Champ game 2 years ago (or 3?), good bowl game every year, and I'm fairly certain he's also on track for the NFL (I know he said it's his dream and his still pretty young, mid-late 30's maybe). I haven't heard from him recently enough to know if he's doing USFL games or not; his "real gig" is actually a pretty high brass person with one of the agencies my firm does business with.

I'll have to find out if he's doing USFL games or not. But for sure, I'm sure the USFL talent level for both football and the officiating is considerably higher than IFL.

Mankato Jesus and Leidner Island would be perfect for this league.
Geez, what if they landed on the same team? I predict Nelson would win the start until Leidner, with a great attitude and hard work, takes over. Then Nelson’s head explodes and he heads home to Mankato for a night of drinking, and nothing good happens.

It's outdoor. Michigan & Houston are in a rain delay right now.

He was referring to the Shannon Brooks Tweet, which showed him scoring a TD for the Arizona Rattlers of the Indoor Football League. The IFL where Brooks is playing is a separate league from the USFL, which is playing outdoor games in Birmingham. And, also completely separate from the "He Hate Me" league of the XFL, which is also making a comeback soon, having just named coaches for their teams, including Bob Stoops, Wade Phillips, and Jim Haslet.

USFL playing all their games in Birmingham? Weird.
I think it was supposed to be a cost saving thing? And/or maybe a covid thing?

If you can't make it as a league with minimizing costs, in one of the most football hungry areas of the country, you sure as heck ain't gonna make it traveling all over the country.

It's not arena league. It is real football just not the NFL. As people might remember USFL had some good talent back in the day Steve Young and Hearshel Walker came from the original league.

Reggie White was the best USFL refuge I remember.

Top Bottom