Anybody up for recruiting talk?

Eric Lair 3 star TE with good offers. Matt Spaeth 2 star DE. I don't remember Utechts rating or offers. So If you think assessing talent is fantasy, then I guess all college scouts and NFL scouts live in fantasy land, the NFL combine must also be a fantasy.

Eric Lair 3 star TE with good offers. Matt Spaeth 2 star DE. I don't remember Utechts rating or offers. So If you think assessing talent is fantasy, then I guess all college scouts and NFL scouts live in fantasy land, the NFL combine must also be a fantasy.

I think he was pointing out the fact Utecht and Spaeth proved themselves to be top-tier college TE's with pro-level talent and Lair just let his first catch attempt bounce off his face. It was pretty low-hanging fruit.

I think he was pointing out the fact Utecht and Spaeth proved themselves to be top-tier college TE's with pro-level talent and Lair just let his first catch attempt bounce off his face. It was pretty low-hanging fruit.

Bingo. Lair may turn out to be good but to compare him to those guys who are solid NFL players at this point was crazy.

Just thought I would post this about Richard Ash, quoted from a recruiting forum from a Tennesse fan which may give us some insight on why he has fallen into our laps:

Whether the Gators have soured on him is unknown to Ash, who said Sunday he's tried to call the coaching staff in recent days without any success.

"I've been hearing things that Florida doesn't want me after I tested at camp because of my 40 and my vertical," Ash said.

"I did good in the one-on-ones but I guess the 40 and vertical lowered me on Florida's scale. … They didn't like me as much after camp. That's what I've been hearing."

Ash, a 6-foot-4, 263-pound recruit who's rated No. 18 at defensive tackle by Rivals.com, said he's not sure if the rumors are even true.

If the Gators are still interested, the Pahokee standout said they're still one of his favorite teams. But because he had been hearing negative things, Florida is no longer No. 1.

"It moved them out of my top now," Ash said.

USC, LSU and WVU are left. Teams are dropping like flies on this kid and I have no clue why.

Tennessee and Florida have dropped off. Once USC "forgets" to send his official offer it'll be down to LSU and WVU. Don't be surprised to see both pull off him either. I know he's had some bad camps but my goodness at his fall from grace. --- End quote

And ironically....it happened and he now has South Florida, USC and Minnesota in his final. Very interesting tidbits

Interesting, I'm assuming this was posted awhile back then. Hopefully his "fall from grace" is motivation to become the best damn DT the University of Minnesota has ever had.

To the thrust of the OP: I am expecting at least one suprise to the positive (Brew reels in one that seemed a stretch) and one to the negative (decomits and Gopher football go together like Halloween candy and future dentist visits). I think at least two more wins are critical as to not hemorrhage any of the commits with wandering eyes.

For instance Jabari Price, as noted above, was recently quoted as saying "Minnesota, a thing with them is the weather... "Right now I'm open. I'm just gonna see how this month plays out. I'll probably make a decision by next month." A couple of loses and this kid is good as gone, if he isn't already.

Price is gone and after looking at Vereen's video there is noway he is only 5'9". His video is very impressive and I hope we can beat out Stanford for him.

We are slow playing a lot recruits right now, the following are all 2nd tier IMO; Bouie, Kissenbirth, Legania

At first I thought you were joking when comparing Lair to Utecht and Spaeth. Now, it's clear you are not. That's awesome

I heard they were moving Marcus Grey to Mike Linebacker.

Lewis has always been a soft verbal to us. I don't think its much to worry about

Bingo. Lair may turn out to be good but to compare him to those guys who are solid NFL players at this point was crazy.

I don't believe a player turns out to be good or turns out to be not good. You are either good or you are not good, It is God given talent. Lair has much more athleticism than either Spaeth or Utecht, he was born with it. He would smoke them at the NFL combine in terms of speed and athleticism. He just does not have any stats yet which is how some of you gauge a player being good or not. To me stats just say you had opportunity, stats have nothing to do with being good. Weber has all sorts of good stats and records at the U, does that make him good? No, it just means he has played.

I don't believe a player turns out to be good or turns out to be not good. You are either good or you are not good, It is God given talent.

You are way, way off base with this. Good athletes (guys who are strong, can run fast, throw far, jump high, etc.) are a dime a dozen. Good football players are very hard to find.

I don't believe a player turns out to be good or turns out to be not good. You are either good or you are not good, It is God given talent. Lair has much more athleticism than either Spaeth or Utecht, he was born with it. He would smoke them at the NFL combine in terms of speed and athleticism. He just does not have any stats yet which is how some of you gauge a player being good or not. To me stats just say you had opportunity, stats have nothing to do with being good. Weber has all sorts of good stats and records at the U, does that make him good? No, it just means he has played.

Wait a second-speed and athleticism are all it takes?

I know we have WRs that are faster and more athletic than Eric Decker. By your logic, Decker is then not our best WR?

Let me put it to you this way, what if we never threw the ball to Decker all season and he ended the season with 0 catches for 0 yards. Would that make him less good in your mind or would he still be our best receiver with awesome skills? Is Decker good or does his receptions and yards make him good?

KoolAid, the only street cred you have is with transvestite prostitutes.

Let me put it to you this way, what if we never threw the ball to Decker all season and he ended the season with 0 catches for 0 yards. Would that make him less good in your mind or would he still be our best receiver with awesome skills? Is Decker good or does his receptions and yards make him good?

Again, by this logic, why even play the game? Just have a skills competition, and whoever runs fastest, lifts the most, and has the highest Rivals rating wins!

To accumulate stats, don't you first have to have enough talent to get on the field to make a catch/run/tackle etc.?

You are way, way off base with this. Good athletes (guys who are strong, can run fast, throw far, jump high, etc.) are a dime a dozen. Good football players are very hard to find.
This is 100% correct. Football is a much more cerebral game than fans often give it credit for, and on top of that maintaining the physical condition necessary to excel and to stay healthy requires a Herculean amount of training. There are rare exceptions to the rule who can excel with (relatively) little work, but they are few and far between. Becoming a great player has everything to do with consistency, dedication, hard work and discipline.

KoolAid, the only street cred you have is with transvestite prostitutes.

It takes a lot to earn their trust buddy.

I'd like to see you try to roll up on some trannies. It's tough stuff.

I don't think it's one or the other. All things being equal, training, opportunity, etc, the more athletic player should prove the better consistently. However, when judging talent you don't just look at stats and make your decision. That said, there aren't a lot of small, slow guys playing football.

Speaking of this, I noticed today that Antoine Lewis is listed as a soft verbal. Is he on his way out?

Told to keep his options open. Lewis was our hope to get in with Corey Cooper and switch from Illinois and that is not going to happen. If Cooper switches he will be heading to Notre Dame.

Top Bottom