Any Interest in Aj Plitzuweit?

What's the great story?? Coaches kid follows mom to new job..... Kids get hurt in sports all the time. What makes this story great
Watch the video......heard his injury compared to Teddy Bridgewater's (as in nearly losing the use of your leg). Kids don't get hurt like that "all the time."

In that film clip he hit more shots than several of our guards. If he can shoot the ball, we need him.
And I would imagine he wouldn't cost a scholarship with mom on university staff.

Why are we worried about giving him a scholarship? If he is going to win us some games give up the scholarship. We have enough available. Pick up 2 PGs, a combo guard, and a banger to protect the rim. Sign him up!

He has heart and a great work ethic to go along with being a good shooter. We would not be the major focus of our recruiting, but would be a nice complimentary player.

I say sign him. I think he would jump at the chance to play in the B1G and follow him mom. He most likely would accept immediately and with that Ben needs to make it happen after he has a few other players signed. Can you imagine the narrative if he signs AJ as his first player? “Ben can’t get any good players… he can only sign the new coach’s kid…”

I'd take him. Though my rationale is out of pure amusement of hearing some third rate TV crew butcher his name!

In that film clip he hit more shots than several of our guards. If he can shoot the ball, we need him.
And I would imagine he wouldn't cost a scholarship with mom on university staff.
Why shouldn't he get a scholarship ? If Ben Johnson can sign up 5 players better than him. the Gophers will be greatly improved compared to last season.

Seems like two things can be true. He's not back to where he was, but 11 ppg is still pretty good. I'd certainly take him as a reserve.

I saw Plitzuweit play twice, once at St. Thomas and then again at the Summit League Tournament vs. North Dakota State.

I can say with 100% conviction I’d rather have him on the Gopher roster — bum knee and all — than Samuels. Think he’d be serviceable as a backup PG, especially if he’s a walk-on.

I saw Plitzuweit play twice, once at St. Thomas and then again at the Summit League Tournament vs. North Dakota State.

I can say with 100% conviction I’d rather have him on the Gopher roster — bum knee and all — than Samuels. Think he’d be serviceable as a backup PG, especially if he’s a walk-on.
That’s enough for me.

That's not a very high bar. :) Seriously, I've seen Plitzuweit in person a few times and quite a bit more on TV, and the one thing you know you're going to get from him is effort. He plays hard every second he is on the court.

That's not a very high bar. :) Seriously, I've seen Plitzuweit in person a few times and quite a bit more on TV, and the one thing you know you're going to get from him is effort. He plays hard every second he is on the court.
Agree, that’s not a high bar.

I could have found a better way to say he’s a way better player than Samuels!

Agree, that’s not a high bar.

I could have found a better way to say he’s a way better player than Samuels!
I knew nothing about Plizuweit before last week and still know close to nothing about him now. What I do know is that the Gophers need 3-4 guards before next season and have one (Mitchell) signed up thus far. That said, I would take Plizuweit and see what he can bring to the team. I don't see the downside

From his highlights it looks like he can pass. He’d work well with Payne, Garcia, and even Ola.

Plus, coaches kids just know where to be and how to get others where they need to be,

Last edited:

That’s not a very high bar. Samuels was a D2 player and was out of shape. I’m not sure why BJ hand any interest in him.

I would say his mom being here is not an issue, but a plus for him. He followed her to SD. He would be a nice 1 year addition. Brings experience and effort and is another guard option.

I would say his mom being here is not an issue, but a plus for him. He followed her to SD. He would be a nice 1 year addition. Brings experience and effort and is another guard option.

Playing the devil's advocate here... Is there a chance Ben doesn't want to go down this road?

Dealing with the players' parents is probably hard enough, but can you imagine a player's parent who has an office down the hall from you that is also getting paid a lot of money to coach basketball?

Imagine if AJ's role turns into Samuel's role, and Ben has to make small talk with Mom at the coffee machine each morning. That could be brutal.

It may be easier to stomach getting fired due to lack of guard depth than being paid a lot of money but stuck in awkward/contentious small talk every day... Decisions...Decisions...

Playing the devil's advocate here... Is there a chance Ben doesn't want to go down this road?

Dealing with the players' parents is probably hard enough, but can you imagine a player's parent who has an office down the hall from you that is also getting paid a lot of money to coach basketball?

Imagine if AJ's role turns into Samuel's role, and Ben has to make small talk with Mom at the coffee machine each morning. That could be brutal.

It may be easier to stomach getting fired due to lack of guard depth than being paid a lot of money but stuck in awkward/contentious small talk every day... Decisions...Decisions...
I get the sense that being a coach, she would get it as far as doing what he thinks needs to be done for the team. If another coach doesn’t get it, who will?

I get the sense that being a coach, she would get it as far as doing what he thinks needs to be done for the team. If another coach doesn’t get it, who will?
You convinced me. I'm sold. Let's get him

You convinced me. I'm sold. Let's get him
I’m pretty sure he has to be interested first. The only interested parties so far have been brilliant posters on this board. That having been said, he would be a fool for lot of reasons not to come here. Is his dad a good cook?

As has been said earlier, who knows whether a 20 year old kid wants to live close to his parents in college.

On the other hand, his mom mentioned in an interview that she rarely sees her kids play live and/or in-person and often has to watch a recorded version later.

They seem like a tight family, so it seems like he might want to have his parents at a lot of his home games.

From Ben's perspective, I'm wondering if he'd like to get another guard commitment first. If AJ P committed now, it might deter other guards from signing (with Mitchell already in the fold too).

What's the great story?? Coaches kid follows mom to new job..... Kids get hurt in sports all the time. What makes this story great??
It’s not a great story but does have a somewhat different angle to it: son follows Mom coach to new coaching job in a power five conference.

As has been said earlier, who knows whether a 20 year old kid wants to live close to his parents in college.

On the other hand, his mom mentioned in an interview that she rarely sees her kids play live and/or in-person and often has to watch a recorded version later.

They seem like a tight family, so it seems like he might want to have his parents at a lot of his home games.

From Ben's perspective, I'm wondering if he'd like to get another guard commitment first. If AJ P committed now, it might deter other guards from signing (with Mitchell already in the fold too).
Interesting scenario, but if I’m Ben, I’m not getting too fussy about taking commitments from guys I want on my team no matter where they are in the pecking order of possible playing time.

It’s not a great story but does have a somewhat different angle to it: son follows Mom coach to new coaching job in a power five conference.
The great story is not him following his mom.......it's the fact he tore his ACL, LCL, hamstring, sprained MCL and dislocated his knee cap and he came back to play D1 basketball. An injury so gruesome they darken it out on the highlights....an injury his teammates/coaches say was worse than anything they've ever seen in person or on TV. That's a great story.

If he comes here I would think it's as a walk on. Do U employees or coaches get tuition for their kids?

Top Bottom