Any inside info on potential night games?

SRSKSM

FB Season Ticket Holder
Reaction score
I am trying to make plans to have relatives fly in from California to attend one of the Gopher games. Currently the only scheduled night game is Mich State. Most of the other game times are shown as TBA. I know television will dictate the times of those games. Anybody have any inside info or background info on which TBA games might end up being night games?

Air Force - already scheduled night
Cal - already scheduled 11 am
Wisconsin - Currently TBA, likely 11 am (Mich/MSU likely 2:30 game)..not enough national interest for ABC night game
Purdue - already scheduled 11 am
Michigan State - already scheduled night
Illinois - Currently TBA, 11 am or 2:30 (likely 11 am) Big Ten rules dictate no outdoor night game in Nov.
SDSU - TBA, while not bound by the Big Ten rules IMO it is unlikely to be a night game for the same reason as the Big Ten rule that exists

Air Force - already scheduled night
Cal - already scheduled 11 am
Wisconsin - Currently TBA, likely 11 am (Mich/MSU likely 2:30 game)..not enough national interest for ABC night game
Purdue - already scheduled 11 am
Michigan State - already scheduled night
Illinois - Currently TBA, 11 am or 2:30 (likely 11 am) Big Ten rules dictate no outdoor night game in Nov.
SDSU - TBA, while not bound by the Big Ten rules IMO it is unlikely to be a night game for the same reason as the Big Ten rule that exists

I'll be pissed if Wisconsin is not a night game. I'm sorry, but this is one of the best rivalries in College Football (being a bit of a homer, but nonetheless, it really is), and is frankly overlooked if it's not of "enough national interest". It's a longshot, but couldn't this be a potential College Gameday Game?

I'll be pissed if Wisconsin is a night game. I'm sorry, but this is one of the best rivalries in College Football (being a bit of a homer, but nonetheless, it really is), and is frankly overlooked if it's not of "enough national interest". It's a longshot, but couldn't this be a potential College Gameday Game?

College Gameday goes to the location of the game with the most national interest. It isn't often that two teams coming off a 7-6 season--in a conference that had its reputation bruised in the last year--meet in week 5 and that game garners the most national interest.

That same week within the Big Ten we have Penn State @ Illinois which gives star power and the sizzle of a top 10 team and we have Michigan @ MSU which pits a helmet school against their in-state rival that finished 9-4 the prior year. Sadly both of those games probably garner more national appeal.

I just looked at the map of places where they were last year, and it was distressingly full of SEC and Big 12 teams from the way south. I don't think they got any farther North than Oklahoma (with the exception of the Ohio State game against Penn State). I know it's about national interest, but here's my argument for a MN-WI College Gameday. It's farfetched, it's homer of me to say, but I really hate hate hate the SEC/Big 12 College Football bias that we've seen the last few years (perhaps deservedly so based on Big 10's performance in Bowl Games) as much as I hate the year after year East Coast bias we see with the 400 Boston/New York MLB games we see each year nationally televised while key matchups in other divisions are ignored.

--Brand new stadium, huge potential for great storylines--new traditions, exploring a campus they haven't EVER visited (whereas I'm sure the schedule this year will feature several schools they've been to before).
--Big 10 opener, huge rivalry game.
--Turnout would be huge, enthusiasm will be the highest as it'll be all year (as it always is for 'sconsin)
--Did I mention the new stadium?

A couple years ago I thought it'd be a lock for them to come here with the new stadium. I'd love to see them go outside their mold a little bit and give some love to the smaller markets.

EDIT: Even if it's not college gameday, my main point is this is a game that belongs in primetime. Who cares what network. This game belongs under the lights as an intense primetime matchup, not some jolly afternoon affair.

While I agree with you, that Gameday should come here, and it would be awesome...I wouldn't get your hopes up. I would think that a USC at Cal matchup which is already schedule for the ABC nightgame, would probably win out. Also LSU at Georgia is that week, although they usually stay away from a CBS game. OKlahoma at Miami is another intriguing matchup. Another reason I guess we really should be rooting for Ohio State to beat USC, and the Gophers to beat Cal, so their game is less prominent, featuring two teams who already both lost marquee games. I will say compared to other weeks, this is one week where the could be a chance for Gameday....

I do think there is a strong possibility for a night game here though, perhaps ESPN or the deuce.

Yeah I don't have my hopes up real high, I'm just thinking in a perfect (Maroon and Gold) world. Have Lee Corso and Kirk put on a jacket and come up here.

Top Bottom