Antonio Ford PWO Offer?

hungan1

Reaction score
That is according to MinnesotaPreps:

(Updated 12/16) Antonio Ford, 5'9 200, RB, Wayzata (5A) - Has received preferred walk-on offers from Minnesota and NDSU. Has received D2 offer from Mankato. KARE 11 All-Metro. In 13 games, had 224 carries for 1463 yards for 6.3 ypc and 13 touchdowns. Was the May 2011 NUC Combine Overall MVP/Combine King with 4.58 40 yard dash, 4.18 shuttle, 35" vertical, and 23 bench reps at 185. Attended US Army National Combine. Was injured to start the junior season. In 8 games, had 224 carries for 922 yards and 9 TDs. As a sophomore in six games, rushed for 835 yards for 5.7 YPC and 8 TDs. At the 2010 NUC, recorded a 4.66 electronically timed 40-yard dash and 28.5" vertical.

Gopherlillustrated.com camp evaluation "Running back Antonio Ford participated in his second day of camp this week, and put on a nice display. Ford was clearly the class of the running backs today. He spent most of the early session catching passes from Nelson, and looked athletic doing it. He was quick and fast. Not a huge guy, but- showed enough athleticism to prove that he is a D1 football player."

http://vimeo.com/33199304

Without looking at any lists, I think Ford is the last in-state guy (other than McDonald) who looks like a great get for the Gophers. I would really like to see them wrap this kid up.

It will be interesting to see whether or not he takes our PWO offer. He would be a great get.

He'd be a good walkon guy. Worst case he'll be a good scout back/hard worker special teams guy. Best case is he proves me wrong and has better quickness and can play some RB. (or another position).

Ford would be a great pick up as a PWO.

I wonder about guys like Karmichael Dunbar and Kendrick Brewster, I don't see offers for either of those 2 either, I wonder if Kill has spoken to either of them about a PWO?

Kendrick Brewster Has a PWO offer from the Gophers

He Brewster said in an interview on Gopherillustrated that he will choose between a PWO offer from the Gophers , he has a football offer and academic and athletic aide offer from St Thomas, and has been accepted to Wisconsin where he said he would just be a student if he chose that route.

Seems like a bright kid, had some Ivy league interst so he must have the grades to be in top 10% of his class. If he plays football it will be for the Gophers or the Tommies at least it sounds that way.

I like Ford a lot from what I've seen of him. This walk-on class is encouraging so far.

I like Ford a lot from what I've seen of him. This walk-on class is encouraging so far.

The encouragement for the walk-ons is that Kill will play the best players.

Ford would be a great pick up as a PWO.

I wonder about guys like Karmichael Dunbar and Kendrick Brewster, I don't see offers for either of those 2 either, I wonder if Kill has spoken to either of them about a PWO?

Brewster is okay when I've seen him but he seems to have injury issues. Might be a good walk on pickup if he can stay healthy.

I was not at all impressed with Dunbar. If his dad didn't coach with the Vikings he would not even be discusse IMO.

He Brewster said in an interview on Gopherillustrated that he will choose between a PWO offer from the Gophers , he has a football offer and academic and athletic aide offer from St Thomas, and has been accepted to Wisconsin where he said he would just be a student if he chose that route.

Seems like a bright kid, had some Ivy league interst so he must have the grades to be in top 10% of his class. If he plays football it will be for the Gophers or the Tommies at least it sounds that way.

St. Thomas is D3. By football offer that probably just means he has a spot on the team. And athletic aide? I thought D3 wasn't allowed to give money to anyone for being an athlete?

From College Confidential:

"NCAA rules prohibit athletic scholarships at Division 3 colleges. You’ll have to go to Div. 1 or 2 for dough...But, if you qualify for need-based financial aid or some other form of merit scholarship (e.g., for academics, arts, etc.) then you may indeed receive $$ to attend a Div. 3 school … you just can’t get the money specifically for sports."

You need an offer to play at St Thomas these days actually. Offer not meaning scholarship

Brewster is okay when I've seen him but he seems to have injury issues. Might be a good walk on pickup if he can stay healthy.

I was not at all impressed with Dunbar. If his dad didn't coach with the Vikings he would not even be discusse IMO.

Dunbar, Sr., was fired by the Vikings after the season ended.

I like Ford. Looks like a good one-cut runner.

Dunbar, Sr., was fired by the Vikings after the season ended.

I like Ford. Looks like a good one-cut runner.

Yeah, I don't know what to make of Ford. He doesn't appear overly exposive or overly large, but he seems to be a smart runner. If he'd take a walk-on, that'd be great for the U. He is the kind of guy that just appears to be right on the cusp of being an FBS quality talent, and when it's that close, there is a ton of room for error.

What happened to Ford? I'm hoping he's still a PWO candidate? According to his Rivals profile he doesn't have any offers.

He's planning on attending a Juco in Illinois. My understanding was he had some academic problems getting into the U. Other than that he is a very good back. He won a MVP award down here in Bradenton, FL last year.

He's planning on attending a Juco in Illinois. My understanding was he had some academic problems getting into the U. Other than that he is a very good back. He won a MVP award down here in Bradenton, FL last year.

Yeah, I didn't know if it was academic. For some reason, I thought that it wasn't an academic issue. I was under the impression that he wanted to do what Boddy (Gophers JuCo-DB recruit) did and go JuCo for a year and hope he gets more offers. But I really don't know.

Good luck to him though!

Top Bottom